NFR College Football 2022

Non-fishing related

creekx

not crate trained
This is what everyone wanted…. You want national playoffs and a single champion? You introduce NIL. Of course this was to be expected. Super mega conferences. Eliminating a number of schools from ever having an opportunity to win a national championship. You take away the experience of being a college kid playing football, take away the reward and pageantry of bowl games that (use to) mean something to players, students, alumni, and local university fans. It has become professional football. The smaller bowls will dwindle away. No one wants to watch a bowl game with 9,000 fans attending in places like Boise, El Paso, Shreveport, etc. …..and I don’t care what others have said. The average fans or the hardcore fans with limited funds are also going to lose out. This is for TV/corporations/wealthy.
IMO the "every one is a free agent" transfer rule is worse than NIL. For many college sports is about allegiance to your alma mater - school pride and feeling something in common with student-athletes that walk the same halls, live on the same campus, etc. I realize some of that has been an illusion for some time now, but if is completely erased I will run out of effs to give. Maybe I'm too old school, but if I want to watch professional football I will tune in on Sundays.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
College football has become a land of confusion.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Oregon can work the Nike angle to get in, but not so sure about UW. It ain't Don James and the 80's and 90's anymore.

Nike money is nice, but each school negotiates their own apparel deals.
No, the UW isn’t the Don James teams any longer, but they did go to three New Years six bowl games just recently.

This is purely a money play driven my media rights and a response to the SEC expansion.
The Big 10 is already reached out to the east coast with Maryland. As it is right now, the closest Big 10 Oppenheimer to the LA schools is Nebraska, which is 1,500 miles away.
Adding more west coast teams that have histories with the Big 10 via the Rose Bowl might make sense. Also adding a top 15 media market in Seattle makes a lot of sense.
The Apple Cup can still be played even if both schools aren’t in the same conference.
SF

Last edited:

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Keeping the tradition alive with our annual college football thread.
Kickoff is two months from today. Some good first week matchups in Oregon Vs Georgia, ND vs Ohio State and Utah vs Florida.

Word on the street is the Huskies will suck again. I’m hoping it is Norte Dame that sucks. ;)
Should be a interesting season. Talk some shit about teams you like or dislike.

This popped up in my news feed. If true, that is a nice signing bonus. Boy how things have changed with NIL and the transfer portal.
SF

Don't forget about the big match up on September 17th Brian!

1656625761638.png

@BDD....Go Spartans! And I will be rooting for every team that plays ND.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter

Pac 12-2=Pac 10
Unitl Oregon and ( Somebody) leave

Then its back to the Pac 8, which it was when I started watching them.

Pac (?) is on death watch from here on out.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Rumors I am hearing are that UW and Oregon are next to join the Big Ten and possibly Cal and Stanford.

Decision on UW and Oregon within a week or less

johnnyboy

Steelhead
When the dust starts to settle after this realignment I think Wazzu and Oregon St. are sadly going to get left behind. Probably Mountain West bound.

I hear rumors of Utah, Colorado, ASU, and UofA to the Big12. UW, Oregon, maybe Stanford and possibly Cal if they get lucky to the Big Ten.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The best thing that could happen is for Wazzu or Oregon State to win the national championship this year …. I know I know 😞

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846

Pac 12-2=Pac 10
Unitl Oregon and ( Somebody) leave

Then its back to the Pac 8, which it was when I started watching them.

Pac (?) is on death watch from here on out.
Damn…you’re OLD like me… 😳😁

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Does this football conference shakeup also include basketball. No Pac12 hoops! F-me, I'm going to die...