Coldest PDO since 1955. Good for salmon/bad for tuna?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Admin
Maybe stupid question, but what exactly happens when you get spooled? Lose your fly line? Hope your knot at the fly breaks before your knot at the spool?

Part of me thinks it would be a lot of fun to hook a giant, and part of me thinks it just sounds like work.
You find the rod with the most line/beefiest reel, tie the line from that on to the rod with the fish on very securely, then toss the first rod overboard.

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
You find the rod with the most line/beefiest reel, tie the line from that on to the rod with the fish on very securely, then toss the first rod overboard.

I was thinking you tie some version of a prusik knot on the outgoing line, but I like this even better. Except for the part where you turn losing $100 of fly line into potentially losing $500-600+ of gear. I guess you consider that the rod is going to break at some point anyway....

ok, I'm leaning more toward I'd like to see this. Oct 5, here we come.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Admin
I was thinking you tie some version of a prusik knot on the outgoing line, but I like this even better. Except for the part where you turn losing $100 of fly line into potentially losing $500-600+ of gear. I guess you consider that the rod is going to break at some point anyway....

ok, I'm leaning more toward I'd like to see this. Oct 5, here we come.
The idea being that you lock the drag down on rod 1 before you toss it in. The fish isn't going to spool rod 2, so it's just a slog after that. Get rod 1 back in, then go back to getting it in on that. I've talked to a few who have pulled it off successfully before, but I'd still have a hard time doing it.

Bagman

Steelhead
Maybe stupid question, but what exactly happens when you get spooled? Lose your fly line? Hope your knot at the fly breaks before your knot at the spool?

Part of me thinks it would be a lot of fun to hook a giant, and part of me thinks it just sounds like work.
My leader is rated at 30lbs, my fly line is rated at 50lbs, my backing is rated at 85 lbs. I’m hopping to only loose my leader if I have to break one off. This is the way most of the guys set up their albacore rigs