Coffee talk

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
@Nick Clayton I’m amazed at your coffee nerd progression. From zero to new fancy burr grinder in a few months. I’m impressed, booze influenced or not!

If you do get into cold brew, I have had good results with #22 on the baratza, which is the same grind I use for a French press. It’s a longer extraction and since I make my cold brew in a French press, the larger grind is easier to clean out.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
@Nick Clayton I’m amazed at your coffee nerd progression. From zero to new fancy burr grinder in a few months. I’m impressed, booze influenced or not!

If you do get into cold brew, I have had good results with #22 on the baratza, which is the same grind I use for a French press. It’s a longer extraction and since I make my cold brew in a French press, the larger grind is easier to clean out.

Haha Well you have certainly been a bad influence on it! ;)

I've highly enjoyed the process! I love these sorts of things where I can really dive down the rabbit hole. It all kind of fascinates me. So much to learn! I find when I get a brew totally dialed in it is such a great experience. Nothing like driving the boat 50 miles for a tuna trip, most of the crew asleep, boats on auto pilot, and I'm just sitting in my seat sipping a delicious mug.

BTW, been absolutely loving these beans lately!

20220805_192718.jpg

Tacoma Red

Freshly Spawned
I haven't messed with cold brew yet but I'm starting to get the itch. Gonna have to give it a shot one of these days.

A month or two ago I purchased a Baratza Encore grinder and while I was relatively happy with it, I noticed much more inconsistency in the grinds, mostly when I grind on a finer level. Just felt like I wasn't achieving the grind I needed, especially with lighter roasts grinding fairly fine.

So a couple weeks ago I had a day off and the night before me and some of the crew tied one on pretty hard. I went to bed feeling no pain.

I woke up in the morning to a confirmation email for a purchase I made at 11 pm the night before. A Fellow Ode grinder with SSP burr upgrade. This was not a cheap purchase, and I wasn't super pleased to wake up and realize I spent such a chunk of money.

However, after a couple weeks of use I must say this thing is pretty incredible. Super quiet (much quieter than the Encore which my roommate loves), easy to use, tiny footprint, and the grind consistency is incredible. Soooo much better than the Encore. It also shuts off automatically. Just add beans and turn it on, when it empties the hopper it shuts off. I really like that feature.

The results in my morning brews have been impressive. Although I didn't intend to make such a purchase, so far I couldn't be happier. Huge upgrade.

Also, I think I need to invent an app that prevents online purchases over 50 bucks after, say, 9pm.

Thank goodness you weren't shopping on Lululemon.com

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I've been really enjoying this journey down the coffee rabbit hole. I've learned an awful lot so far. The last week or so I've really had a light bulb moment in regards to temperature.

My entire coffee drinking life I've always preferred my coffee scalding hot. I've also always drank shitty coffee.

In my research the last month I've read a lot about how temp affects not only the actual flavor of the coffee, but also ones ability to taste it. I guess I'm a slow learner because it took reading several times that when coffee is super hot your taste buds just can't really taste it well.

This week I finally paid attention to that and have been letting my coffee cool off for a bit before pouring it in my mug. The difference has been astounding. I'm tasting so much more of the coffee and what it has to offer.

It also dawned on me that by drinking coffee that was scalding hot I was basically masking the actual flavor of the lousy coffee I've drank my entire life. I really noticed this last week when out to breakfast and I was drinking a cup of black coffee at a local restraint. The more it cooled, the worse it tasted. Finally it all made sense. Drinking it boiling hot was making that awful taste all these years.

It's a bit of an adjustment, I'm so used to that major heat first thing in the morning but man oh man is it making my morning brews just amazing.

Coffee is awesome. Really fascinating stuff

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

We've been treating ourselves to small iced cold brewed French pressed coffee every afternoon. (Same Encore setting, coach.) The last brew was La Minata Indonesia Suku Batak (don't ask me to translate); it was so different from the Ehtiopian brew. Both are delicious but the flavor differences a dramatic. I'm really enjoying these experiments with cold brewing.

@Nick Clayton - I'm not ready to replace my Baratza but I sure wish I'd know about the "quieter" grinder before I bought Noisy Encore! ;-) Our bedroom is right off the kitchen so if my wife is still sleeping when I get up to grind beans, I haul the Encore to the utility room.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I've been really enjoying this journey down the coffee rabbit hole. I've learned an awful lot so far. The last week or so I've really had a light bulb moment in regards to temperature.

My entire coffee drinking life I've always preferred my coffee scalding hot. I've also always drank shitty coffee.

In my research the last month I've read a lot about how temp affects not only the actual flavor of the coffee, but also ones ability to taste it. I guess I'm a slow learner because it took reading several times that when coffee is super hot your taste buds just can't really taste it well.

This week I finally paid attention to that and have been letting my coffee cool off for a bit before pouring it in my mug. The difference has been astounding. I'm tasting so much more of the coffee and what it has to offer.

It also dawned on me that by drinking coffee that was scalding hot I was basically masking the actual flavor of the lousy coffee I've drank my entire life. I really noticed this last week when out to breakfast and I was drinking a cup of black coffee at a local restraint. The more it cooled, the worse it tasted. Finally it all made sense. Drinking it boiling hot was making that awful taste all these years.

It's a bit of an adjustment, I'm so used to that major heat first thing in the morning but man oh man is it making my morning brews just amazing.

Coffee is awesome. Really fascinating stuff
20 years ago my Seattle apartment was next door and above the Grateful Bread bakery in Wedgwood. They were roasting their own coffee at the time and I would smell the roast if I had my windows open. It was the first time I noticed the difference in a cup of drip coffee that actually improved as it cooled. Fast forward to 6 years ago when I started roasting my own beans and I had to relearn the experience. With fresh beans you get different notes as the cup cools and you can get a bitter mess if you brew too hot.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
We've been treating ourselves to small iced cold brewed French pressed coffee every afternoon. (Same Encore setting, coach.) The last brew was La Minata Indonesia Suku Batak (don't ask me to translate); it was so different from the Ehtiopian brew. Both are delicious but the flavor differences a dramatic. I'm really enjoying these experiments with cold brewing.

@Nick Clayton - I'm not ready to replace my Baratza but I sure wish I'd know about the "quieter" grinder before I bought Noisy Encore! ;-) Our bedroom is right off the kitchen so if my wife is still sleeping when I get up to grind beans, I haul the Encore to the utility room.
I can relate to this. In the winter, I toss my wife's heavy winter coat over it and head into the bathroom. That coat really deadens the noise of the noisy Encore, the volume and tenor of which approaches a Cessna 152.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
My next batch of cold brew is coming up soon using these Kenya-origin beans.
View attachment 26151View attachment 26152
Just the smell of the fresh roasted beans is wild. Big citrus. I’ll give it until Sunday to rest and try the results on Monday or Tuesday.
Really nice cold brew. Very light body, delicate flavors. The citrus is there but it’s not puckering/tart. @Matt B if this one is coming your way in your recent order, enjoy!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
You got a thermos with extra room? Morning of 9/1 -- you bring extra fresh brewed coffee, I bring an empty mug and some fresh home roasted beans, we make trade. Deal?

Im in! Provided I can remember haha. If you think about it post here a day or two before so it's fresh in my mind. I've officially hit that part of the season where the whole world just kinda blends together

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Im in! Provided I can remember haha. If you think about it post here a day or two before so it's fresh in my mind. I've officially hit that part of the season where the whole world just kinda blends together
Will do. And I’ll make sure you aren’t my only coffee caffeine pusher man.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
So tonight I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a couple things....first is a Baratza Encore grinder. I've read a ton of reviews and watched all the vids, and this one just keeps coming out on top for my needs. Seems like many of you here have it as well. I'm super excited to try my first burr grinder.

Along with that I ordered a Breville Precision Brewer drip machine. It came down to between this and the Mochamaster. Both are highly reviewed. I went with this due to the larger capacity and I am intrigued by the many options it provides.
I have a Moccamaster that has been in storage mostly the last few years in favor of various single cup brew methods that work for my wife and I day to day. However I recently pulled it out when we had company and it made a better cup than I remember and it's nice to get a bit more volume in one shot. It will do 1.25L which is good for 4 regular mugs of joe. I love the deep dive you've been on with coffee Nick!

mtskibum16

Life of the Party

Seriously! Gas station coffee to $500 grinder is a pretty serious jump in such a short time hahaha!

The Encore is loud AF though! I usually grind the night before if I'm getting up for a beach alarm in the AM. I need to actually strip mine down and do a good cleaning though. It gets neglected. We're on setting 11 most of the time too. Bit bigger for drip and obviously for french press.

Cold brew is not something I've done much of. Any other recipes people are using? I've always been a bit turned off by the coffee to water ratio and usually resort to my modified iced coffee recipes for aeropress or clever dripper.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Cold brew is not something I've done much of. Any other recipes people are using? I've always been a bit turned off by the coffee to water ratio and usually resort to my modified iced coffee recipes for aeropress or clever dripper.
I feel ya, it's kind of a big commitment of a precious substance. I've tried it with less coffee/more water and it just wasn't as good. Too watery, go figure. I guess the saving grace is "iced coffee season" is pretty short here, and a little goes a long way. I don't know if it has more caffeine/volume than other methods but it does feel like it.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I feel ya, it's kind of a big commitment of a precious substance. I've tried it with less coffee/more water and it just wasn't as good. Too watery, go figure. I guess the saving grace is "iced coffee season" is pretty short here, and a little goes a long way. I don't know if it has more caffeine/volume than other methods but it does feel like it.
It's due to the fact that cold water isn't as effective as dissolving the coffee so you need more coffee. More caffeine? Could be since it's a higher ratio and perhaps the cold water breaks it out more effectively than the flavor? I'm no chemist clearly lol

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Cold brew is worth the beans, imo. It’s coffee nectar.

And a dirty secret…even meh mass marketed ground coffee comes out alright in cold brew form.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
It's due to the fact that cold water isn't as effective as dissolving the coffee so you need more coffee. More caffeine? Could be since it's a higher ratio and perhaps the cold water breaks it out more effectively than the flavor? I'm no chemist clearly lol
I think you're probably right, essentially, in that the stronger tasting compounds are less soluble in the cold water so it doesn't taste as strong, but it's still a very concentrated coffee drink so the caffeine/volume of the cold brew at 1:4 coffee:water is higher than say my aeropress which is probably 1:8 or 1:12 or something.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Saw some heat gun talk a couple pages back. I finally killed my second harbor freight one and decided to try something different. Running them through the router controlled seems to reduce their life, but I have grown accustomed to the heat control. I ended up getting the Seekone 1800W which has heat and fan control. Few more watts too. I've only had one roast with it, but after 300+ lbs roasting with the old one, this one for sure has a bit of learning curve. Seems nice though.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I’ve been holed up in isolation with Covid the last 6 days. Pretty mild symptoms but doing my best to avoid sharing it with anyone. I used up my good cold brew made with home roasted beans and asked my wife to break into the emergency backup bag of dark roasted ground stuff we stock for company. Jeez what a contrast. Like Kingsford briquettes over ice. I’m excited to get healthy so I can roast beans again!