Christmas island recommendations?

goinoregon

Just Hatched
I just returned from there. My 3rd trip. I can provide you with some good intel. Things have really changed since Covid shutdown. New/renamed lodges etc. my group got “stuck” due to cyclone in Fiji. Too much info to share (type) here. You can call me if you want between 9-5 if you haven’t already made plans.
Text first so your number isn’t blocked
206-349-3992
which 'lodge' did u use ? were they into chumming? thx. greg

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just remember that a hosted trip (even though the cost is the same for you) the hosts trip is usually free or at least greatly discounted. Take that into account when you get their advice. Still valuable input for sure just temper what you hear a bit. Just like taking rod advice from a pro staffer.

chief

Carper
Forum Supporter
I just returned from Christmas Island. We stayed at the Villages as we have for many years. My first time back since Covid. In my opinion the fishing is as good or better than before for bonefish, the triggers seem a little less spooky, but are still tough, and the GT's seem to be a little less abundant. At least for our group. We had good tides and spent a fair amount of time hunting GT's but didn't have a lot of shots to show for it. Only one good GT landed for the group, although we probably should have had a few more if the stars had aligned. But we lost count of the number of bonefish landed, easily 40-50 in a day if that is all you targeted and on a good flat (with a good guide). The triggers I hooked were all on a regular bonefish fly, orange krystal flash body, tan craft fur and orange krystal flash wing, with medium brass eyes. I cast to around 20, hooked 3, and landed zero. One crushed the hook, and the other two made it to their house. Slippery bastards.

We had one afternoon with tough light and rain where we trolled the lagoon and the posted up on a coral head and caught snapper for the guides. The next day was worse, socked in and raining hard. We gave it a shot for a while, but it was pretty tough. Too miserable even for trolling and the guides were pretty chilled without raincoats. So we called it and went back to the lodge. It ended up raining hard for the remainder of the day into the evening. Most trips weather plays a factor, impacting a day or two of the trip, but this was the hardest I have ever seen it rain in all my years of visiting the island. Luckily, the next day, our last day, we awoke to beautiful clear skies and light wind, and had our best weather day of the trip.

All in all the place hasn't changed much. There is some new construction in places, but you only see it on your way to/from the airport. I counted 31 fishermen waiting for luggage when we arrived, so the island wasn't at full capacity. Out on the lagoon we rarely saw anglers from the other lodges. It was really nice to be able to return after a 3 year hiatus.

Last edited:

CanoeGuy

Steelhead
I just returned from Christmas Island. We stayed at the Villages as we have for many years. My first time back since Covid. In my opinion the fishing is as good or better than before for bonefish, the triggers seem a little less spooky, but are still tough, and the GT's seem to be a little less abundant. At least for our group. We had good tides and spent a fair amount of time hunting GT's but didn't have a lot of shots to show for it. Only one good GT landed for the group, although we probably should have had a few more if the stars had aligned. But we lost count of the number of bonefish landed, easily 40-50 in a day if that is all you targeted and on a good flat (with a good guide). The triggers I hooked were all on a regular bonefish fly, orange krystal flash body, tan craft fur and orange krystal flash wing, with medium brass eyes. I cast to around 20, hooked 3, and landed zero. One crushed the hook, and the other two made it to their house. Slippery bastards.

We had one afternoon with tough light and rain where we trolled the lagoon and the posted up on a coral head and caught snapper for the guides. The next day was worse, socked in and raining hard. We gave it a shot for a while, but it was pretty tough. Too miserable even for trolling and the guides were pretty chilled without raincoats. So we called it and went back to the lodge. It ended up raining hard for the remainder of the day into the evening. Most trips weather plays a factor, impacting a day or two of the trip, but this was the hardest I have ever seen it rain in all my years of visiting the island. Luckily, the next day, our last day, we awoke to beautiful clear skies and light wind, and had our best weather day of the trip.

All in all the place hasn't changed much. There is some new construction in places, but you only see it on your way to/from the airport. I counted 31 fishermen waiting for luggage when we arrived, so the island wasn't at full capacity. Out on the lagoon we rarely saw anglers from the other lodges. It was really nice to be able to return after a 3 year hiatus.
Thanks for the report! Only 3 weeks till we head to the airport.

Sounds similar to what I have been hearing. Not many people talk about the other trevally species. Any nice bluefins? Numbers on the smaller trevally? The posting up on a coral head stuff sounds so cool. How many different species did you pull off it?

chief

Carper
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the report! Only 3 weeks till we head to the airport.

Sounds similar to what I have been hearing. Not many people talk about the other trevally species. Any nice bluefins? Numbers on the smaller trevally? The posting up on a coral head stuff sounds so cool. How many different species did you pull off it?
You see quite a few small blue fin trevally (and small GTs) while wading for bonefish, and they are often circling the tailing trigger fish picking up scraps. They can be aggressive and will take bonefish flies stripped fast. But I would say that compared to years past I didn't catch as many small trevally as expected. We also caught a few nicer blue fins 10+ pounds while trolling on the cloudy/rainy day. I saw one striped trevally while hunting for GTs, but we saw it too late, and it spooked before I could get a cast to it. We didn't see any Golden trevally this trip.

The posting up on a coral head is not something we do normally. It is really just something to do to prolong the day when the weather has eliminated the options for site fishing. That being said, is it fun? Yes! Catching a snapper or a grouper or some other kind of small rockfish every cast is pretty entertaining. And the guides appreciate the meals to take home to their families. We caught mostly yellow snapper and red snapper, a few grouper, and a few misc. fish I don't know the names of. They pull pretty hard for the first 10 seconds.....

I hope you have a great trip!