Charcoal Grill Recommendations?

et64

Smolt
I’m looking to replace an old charcoal grill that’s seen better days. What should I be looking at besides a Weber kettle?

My current charcoal grill is a Lowe’s house brand that I received as a gift many years ago. I found that it is a bit too big (18"x32"), so I don’t use it as often as I would like to. It’s also starting to rust out and is a bit damaged after a pretty good trip across the yard in a storm this past winter. Note that I already have a gas grill, an “easy smoke oven” (pellet grill), and a pizza oven.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
It really depends on how you want to use it. A standard Weber kettle grill is great for a lot of people. If you want to smoke more easily while also having the ability to grill something like the Weber Smokey Mountain or the Oklahoma Joe's Bronco are flexible enough to do both at a pretty high level. Other options include a tabletop binchotan grill, big horizontal charcoal grills, even Kamado style grills (big green egg and the like). All depends on your intentions.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
What should I be looking at besides a Weber kettle?
Nothing. Wait, I'm open minded about these things, but you said you have other bases covered. I've been using the Weber "Smokey Joe" since 1995 (on my third one). They last a long time and are relatively inexpensive. If I were cooking for a family, I would have the larger model, but I am mostly cooking for two, occasionally four, and the Smokey Joe works just fine.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Weber Performance Deluxe is outstanding. Gets hundreds of excellent reviews. Decent prep table, gas starter (no lighter fluid), many accessories available. If you do buffalo wings for parties consider adding a Vortex cone (see vids). Outdoor Emporium had them over $100 off recently.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Weber. Smokenator 1000 or Slow-n-sear gizmos to begin smoking, other tools to perfect it , including a thermopen. Accept no substitutes.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I was going to suggest a Kamado Joe/Green Egg-type grill (I have the Lousiana Grill model from Costco) but you already have the other toys necessary you said, like the pellet grill and the gas grill and the pizza oven. The Kamodoes can do all that. I had a small Traeger, which with the wind here in the TriCities it made several runs across our patio and yard. (The wind has even moved my ceramic grill on the patio if I forget to lock the wheels and it weighs a couple hundred pounds.) Anyway, you just need a Weber at this point. Or ditch your other stuff and get a ceramic model.

Chris Bailey

Dirt Sniffer
Forum Supporter
If I hadn't bought an Egg to do everything, I would have bought a PK grill (www.pkgrills.com/) as our primary grill. I've had Webers, and wanted something a bit more solid. For the price, though, the standard Weber kettles are a no-brainer. I like the rectangular shape and air controls of the PK grill. They have been around for a while, but more recently added new options including smaller and portable models. Worth a look.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’ve thought about getting a BGE off and on for years. But they’re expensive, as are each of several accessories that I’d want. I’d be 3K into it minimum. I can replace several Webers over decades for that. Plus, I know how to do anything feasible in a Weber. My Dad cooked the best alder smoked salmon on the planet (bar none) using his. So I ditched my 15YO gas grill last week and went back to another Weber. At one point I has a Smokey Joe, standard 22.5” and a Big Texas Kettle, and used them all regularly. They’re tough to beat, and their kettle shape has a lot to do with it.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I BBQed salmon on my Smokey Joe last night. Charcoal + some soaked alder chips duplicates exactly the best alder BBQed salmon I ever did the old way, harder way of cooking over an open alder fire.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My Dad used alder chips, as have I in the past. I just wish I’d written down his seasonings or marinade. I’m sure it was simple. I’ll try a maple syrup, soy & garlic marinade later this week and use an alder plank. We’ll see.
Grilled prosciutto pizza tonight.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Weber, but my statement is the equivalent more or less like recommending Sage with out having tried Winston, Loomis, and Thomasx2…I still say Weber!!! 😉