Cedar River

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Fished a stretch of the Cedar this AM. Using a black and green streamer caught a mix of cutts and rainbows. I haven't fished the Cede since 2020 and there have been some nice changes to the shape of it. PLus, and some may not believe this, the water was really clean, the banks too, and I came across exactly zero weirdos. Only saw one other guy, working a tenkara rod.

It is, however, stupid slick so bring felt or studs but beware soles without. Today was unintentional leg day on account of no felt.

It has been about three years that I sent a cast to grass lined overhanging bank with a deeper pocket and picked up a fish. It's just one of those perfect looking bank scenarios you don't normally expect in Renton. That happened today, threw the cast, wasn't expecting much, wading downstream, then the line's tight and the fish is on, no set needed. Had another cast into the head of a pool that has never been kind to me, kinda ignored it and line went tight on the drop with the fish of the day, about 17 inches of chunky rainbow.

Saw eagles and an otter. And returned to my car with all windows intact!
1658609493048.png

So many stretches of this river are gorgeous!
1658609534260.png

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Great photos and glad to hear the river was looking pretty good. And no car break in!

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Sorry about low holeing you like that. I had to meet a guy up in Factoria at 1PM so left shortly after we met. LDR'd a few then hopped on I-405 N. Such fun! Rather than drive back down to Renton and deal with the southbound mess, I decided to go check out the little river that flows under I-90 just east of Preston.

That was pleasant enough. I got to explore some water I've driven by hundreds of times and often intended to check out "one of these days." That went about as expected; skinny water, small Cutthroat, lots of highway noise. I found a few nice agates and suffered no car break ins.

Now I wish I'd introduced myself. It would have been a pleasure meeting you.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
No low holing, that stretch I always skip, the wading is dangerous and the bank unforgiving. Tenkara is probably the best way to do it! Good to meet you!

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I fish the Cedar exclusively, while it is open. However, I have never fished the lower parts, because I'm too anxious about my car. It sucks, because I know all the biggest fish are closer to the lake!

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
We moved from So. Seattle to Maple Heights last summer, about a mile from the river and I still haven't fished it as I'm usually headed west to the coast.

How floatable is it at summer levels? I have an Outcast Commander and a Catchercraft Freestone that I can throw in the back of the truck and the wife will drop me off and make the downstream pick-up. Worth doing over just finding access and walking? I can still do the pick-up and drop off so I don't need to leave a car down there.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
How floatable is it at summer levels?
I spoke with a guy float fishing the upper river in a Watermaster some years ago, so it's certainly do-able. And check out the lower river next time we have a really hot weekend, the beer flotilla should be out in force. In the past there have been some dangerous logjams, but those seem to have been posted with numerous warning signs along the river and possible launch sites. I'm not aware of any current hazards, but haven't been far upriver this year to check either. I do not think there are any serious rapids to deal with. Bottom line; yes floatable but exercise due caution.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Thanks Phil. Appreciate your insight.

I'm wondering more about the cost/benefit. Sometimes dragging a boat around is a bigger pain in the rear than just hoofing it a bit.

No way I'd be trying to fish the lower river on hot summer weekend. Driving, we hit hwy169 at 196th and the scene from there down is a zoo for sure.

Super interested in how the river construction will end up.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Cost/benefit; that's another matter. At reasonable water levels here's little to no water that isn't accessible if you're willing to put in the effort. Boating the river would be a different and entertaining way of enjoying it, though not necessarily better or worse.

RCF

Life of the Party
Cedar river is at higher flows this year than in past years at same time of year. A good thing IMHO...

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Would have interesting to see what may have come up the Duwamish then the Black and into the Lake Wa or possibly up the Cedar back in the day.
Where the Black ran is still pretty visible.

Good visual of how both rivers were changed.
SF

20DF01B1-15EE-4C24-9B0A-C8311F9A3E46.jpeg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Would have interesting to see what may have come up the Duwamish then the Black and into the Lake Wa or possibly up the Cedar back in the day.
Where the Black ran is still pretty visible.

Good visual of how both rivers were changed.
SF

View attachment 25456
Thanks, I was looking for that and couldn’t find it 👍

cedarslug

Steelhead
I haven’t been to the Cedar in a hot minute and noticed major construction along the water. Is that Lakeside asphalt construction or something the county is doing? I pulled over and saw water being diverted as well :confused: