Cedar River

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I haven’t been to the Cedar in a hot minute and noticed major construction along the water. Is that Lakeside asphalt construction or something the county is doing? I pulled over and saw water being diverted as well :confused:
Not sure where you're talking about exactly. If you're talking channel or bank work, that's not related to Lakeside Asphalt, but probably one of the County's flood damage repair projects, or one of the enhancement projects like Rainbow Bend.

cedarslug

Steelhead

Thanks for the article. I had read that when it came out originally, but wasn't sure where the appeal landed.

It's the Rainbow Bend project. Major reconstruction work being done right now.

Ah ha! That must be it! I had looked on the county site and couldn't find anything on this new project. Thanks for the link, much appreciated!

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Thanks for the article. I had read that when it came out originally, but wasn't sure where the appeal landed.

Ah ha! That must be it! I had looked on the county site and couldn't find anything on this new project. Thanks for the link, much appreciated!
No worries. I live just up the hill so have been following that project and the asphalt plant pretty close even though I have never actually fished the Cedar...

BayouJ

Just Hatched
Hi All - I just moved back to the area and am going to hit the Cedar either Thur or Fri. Planning on parking at the Landsburg Park and making my way downstream. Anything I need to be aware of/watch out for? I know there are bigger fish on the lower river, just trying to get me feet wet again :)

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I lived on the Cedar near the golf course for most of the 70's. Got spoiled fishing a great river with lots of trout and salmon.
I bet the fishing quality was really good back then!

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Hi All - I just moved back to the area and am going to hit the Cedar either Thur or Fri. Planning on parking at the Landsburg Park and making my way downstream. Anything I need to be aware of/watch out for? I know there are bigger fish on the lower river, just trying to get me feet wet again :)
Careful, Landsburg is harder to wade with all those slippery basketball size rocks. Smaller fish up there, but the scenery is better though :)

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We moved from So. Seattle to Maple Heights last summer, about a mile from the river and I still haven't fished it as I'm usually headed west to the coast.

How floatable is it at summer levels? I have an Outcast Commander and a Catchercraft Freestone that I can throw in the back of the truck and the wife will drop me off and make the downstream pick-up. Worth doing over just finding access and walking? I can still do the pick-up and drop off so I don't need to leave a car down there.
Hi there,
The wife drop off is a good plan for protecting your vehicle. I live in Covington and have never floated the lower because of the break-in issues. And for some reason never been able to work out a drop off from the wife. :rolleyes:

I have floated in my Commander from Landsburg to Rotary Park, take out on the left just above HWY 18. It was a lower water year than this year, but it was a LONG float. I didn't get much fishing in since I knew I had to stay on schedule. And the fish up there just aren't as big. It was fun, but you end up right in people's back yards on a few sections. Feels a bit close even though you're "legal". I probably won't do it again.

I def need to do the drop off thing on the lower!

BayouJ

Just Hatched
One more thing - on the road, there were several spots that has obvious car window glass on the ground. I parked anyway but left my rig unlocked. No tweakers were observed...

cedarslug

Steelhead
Thanks for the update, and good call on the audible! Though we don’t have “world class” fisheries around here, fortunately we do have numerous options.

FYI there’s a member here that makes wading staffs, and they’re top notch. Heavier than the usual options, but will probably last a lifetime

BayouJ

Just Hatched
I've been on the Cedar a few times this year (upper by Landsburg) - did ok.. still learning how to fish it. Last Friday I was on the water for 10 mnutes and my rod snapped in half. That was a long grumpy walk back to the car. I think I am going to wait for the rains to come back and fish it again before it closes - maybe closer to Renton than Maple Valley - it's be nice to catch some bigger fish.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I've been on the Cedar a few times this year (upper by Landsburg) - did ok.. still learning how to fish it. Last Friday I was on the water for 10 mnutes and my rod snapped in half. That was a long grumpy walk back to the car. I think I am going to wait for the rains to come back and fish it again before it closes - maybe closer to Renton than Maple Valley - it's be nice to catch some bigger fish.

Nice to meet you on Friday! I was one of the two guys you talked to in the parking lot (the taller dorky one). Sorry about the broken rod and the short outing.

It was pretty slow for us. Just one fish. It was a very pleasant couple of hours on the water, though. You were the only fisherman we saw.

Good luck and I hope you get out there again. Our next trip will probably be the salt.

-Brian.