Canned corned beef hash-expensive dog food?

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Ah, Bob York, a true icon. Ran into him many times over the years. One time, while fishing out of a mothership in SE AK, we came upon Bob about 5 miles up a favorite steelhead river. He was up there in his little jet powered johnboat and had been camping for long enough that he was about out of food and had, of course, run out of liquor days ago. Feeling a bit compassionate we invited Bob down to the yacht for dinner and right on cue as we sat down for cocktails Bob came putting up in his boat smelling like an unwashed wood fire. I said Bob can I fix you a drink? Bob responded quickly, "Absolutely, I'll drink anything as long as it is strong and brown." I said"well we have wine, gin and we have vodka." Bob says,"perfect," He may have mixed all them together, repeatedly. Now this was a kinda fancy operation with all the trimmings. As the table was being cleared all that remained was a bowl of butter carefully sculpted into scalloped servings. Bob found a spoon still on the table and proceeded to eat the bowl of butter probably thinking it must be ice cream and soon after lurched into his boat and left into the darkness to motor some 5 miles up river in the pitch black of an early spring Alaska night. Guess he made it "home" as we saw him on over Prince of Wales on another creek later that week. "See ya on the steelhead trail, I'll be there."
My kinda guy!

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I am grateful that I have much the same taste as a mangy ol' coyote, and would find welcome calories in each of your 'test brands'.

Of course I love my Toyota Tacoma 'death trap", fish from a kayak, and gladly swill PBR,.....so my judgment is rather suspect! 😀
Admit it man-that Buffalo burger and ale we had yesterday was some of the best ever. I think your taste is ok but yes, your judgement is a bit clouded.....

krusty

Forum Supporter
Admit it man-that Buffalo burger and ale we had yesterday was some of the best ever. I think your taste is ok but yes, your judgement is a bit clouded.....
There's no reason a mangy ol' coyote (such as myself) couldn't enjoy a shitty meal of Dinty Moore hash OR an exquisite burger & superb IPA with equal fervor. I'm flexible about caloric source. 🙂

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Last year I was looking for some easy food to prepare on fishing trips and stumbled across this stuff. I read all I could about it and then bought 3 brands to try out-Libby's, Hormel and Great Value. I fried each one until it was a little crisp and added fried eggs then hoped for the best. If you hope in one hand and fill the other hand with corned beef hash you will have a hand that your dog wants to lick. I rarely eat canned foods of any kind and trying this stuff reinforced that decision.

So what did I do wrong? Is there some trick to making the hash as good as some people swear that it is, is there something that I should add to enhance the flavor? Or is this just a treat that preppers sometimes feed their dogs once they sample it themselves?

I await your most astute opinions
Sometimes you just need to add a can of pink salmon with a few sardines to liven it up a bit.
😉

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Sometimes you just need to add a can of pink salmon with a few sardines to liven it up a bit.
😉
No there is a true gourmet. (y)

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ive, You're such a foodie that I'm kind of baffled why you would bring canned food on your trips at all!
Cook real food at home - stews, pasta sauces, hash, chili, soups, whatever. Freeze it in single serving tupperware, and use those instead of ice packs in your cooler. Put the ones you want to eat first on top and work your way to the bottom!
Leigh, in my defense there are just some times when I would like to do something easy for a change. Being alone about 99% of the time and just having to prepare all of my own meals it would be nice on a camping trip to get the occasional break. With no restaurants in my town even going out for a burger or a pizza is not an option, it's the same old grind every day. I did up my camping breakfast game last season by learning to make good sausage gravy and freezing it in portions along with frozen buttermilk biscuits. Such a highlight compared to the usual cereal with banana! Opening a can seemed like it would be easy but fortunately I tried it at home first and didn't like the results.

Now after 23 years of restaurant privation I am in the land of plenty for the winter living in the country just north of Spokane which boast about 540 restaurants! An embarrassment of riches that I am really taking advantage of. I will be spending a lot of my disposable income in good restaurants in the next couple of months and enjoying every minute of it.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Leigh, in my defense there are just some times when I would like to do something easy for a change. Being alone about 99% of the time and just having to prepare all of my own meals it would be nice on a camping trip to get the occasional break. With no restaurants in my town even going out for a burger or a pizza is not an option, it's the same old grind every day. I did up my camping breakfast game last season by learning to make good sausage gravy and freezing it in portions along with frozen buttermilk biscuits. Such a highlight compared to the usual cereal with banana! Opening a can seemed like it would be easy but fortunately I tried it at home first and didn't like the results.

Now after 23 years of restaurant privation I am in the land of plenty for the winter living in the country just north of Spokane which boast about 540 restaurants! An embarrassment of riches that I am really taking advantage of. I will be spending a lot of my disposable income in good restaurants in the next couple of months and enjoying every minute of it.
At least 250 of the 540 restaurants in Spokane are Taco Bells...so we'll focus on visiting the other ones!

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I have no problem with canned corned beef. I think the problem with most people is they don't let it render down. They heat it up and serve. It's usually a gloopy mess. Trick I learned from my dad was to just let it cook under a medium heat until it's that gloopy mess most people eat out at. Then crank that heat up and leave it be. It'll crisp up. Then do one toss, like you would do with crisp hashbrowns, and let other side get crispy. Usually ends up like a crispy burger. If you want it a lot more crispy, which I'll do occasionally, break it up and repeat process. By time you're done you'll have a lot of crispy bites.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
A popular dish in Hawaii (or it used to be) was canned corned beef (not hash), sliced onions and shaved cabbage stir fried in a wok or large skillet…poor man’s kalua pork and cabbage…

(BigDave)

Smolt
There always seems to be leftover ham during the holidays. I like to take advantage of it and make ham hash. If not left over I will boil it a bit to reduce the amount of salt...

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter

Maybe you should get yourself a dehydrator or something similar.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I would not feed that shit to my dogs.