Canned corned beef hash-expensive dog food?

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
It will taste much better if you are at the edge of starvation.
A bunch of us off roaders were discussing the best emergency ration to keep in the jeep in case of a breakdown in nowheresville…canned corned beef was on the list, as well as canned tuna etc…surprisingly, canned dog food was debated, since it was likely that the other canned goods might have gotten eaten before an emergency came up. No one is going to break into the dog food before that emergency came up…

Zak

Legend
A bunch of us off roaders were discussing the best emergency ration to keep in the jeep in case of a breakdown in nowheresville…canned corned beef was on the list, as well as canned tuna etc…surprisingly, canned dog food was debated, since it was likely that the other canned goods might have gotten eaten before an emergency came up. No one is going to break into the dog food before that emergency came up…
1704397719641.png

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Ive, You're such a foodie that I'm kind of baffled why you would bring canned food on your trips at all!
Cook real food at home - stews, pasta sauces, hash, chili, soups, whatever. Freeze it in single serving tupperware, and use those instead of ice packs in your cooler. Put the ones you want to eat first on top and work your way to the bottom!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ive, You're such a foodie that I'm kind of baffled why you would bring canned food on your trips at all!
Cook real food at home - stews, pasta sauces, hash, chili, soups, whatever. Freeze it in single serving tupperware, and use those instead of ice packs in your cooler. Put the ones you want to eat first on top and work your way to the bottom!
That’s too logical…

If I’m solo on a multi day backcountry trip, I make single serving meals and vacuum bag them so I can drop into boiling water on my Jet Boil… very little clean up, and quick to make so I can get to the important stuff…like drinking…

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
When I do CBH at the ranch I fry half a can for one serving. Fry it crispy, but not burnt. Plate it, cook to eggs over easy and drop them on top. Toast buttered to help scoop up because I chop it up and drizzle ketchup and dashes of Tobasco. JMHO

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I ate a fair amount of spam when I was a kid in Tripoli, Libya in the late 60's and early 70's. The locals had no idea it was pork. It was one of the few "western" (American, really) items for sale there. Sure, there were plenty of outstanding Italian food and groceries, until Qaddafi kicked them out in 1970, but even that was alien to my 10-year old palate. Anyway, we'd get fried spam and eggs. After that I never tried it again until about two years ago, when I saw some at my local hardware++ store. It was good, but the kind of good like I don't need to eat it again for another year. So I've had it twice total, and liked it then, but not yet ready for another!

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
About 15 years ago I took my now wife on her first overnight float. While rearranging the cooler at the put in I somehow set the bag with all meats aside and left it in the truck. When we got to the camp I realized my mistake and panic set in. Feverishly rooting through my camp kit I found a can of corned beef hash and some hot dog buns. Yup, CBH sandwiches that night. I knew I had a keeper when she ate it with a smile.

I like to cook it slow to kind of render it then crank the heat at the end to get it crispy. Easy and greasy it makes great riverside hangover food!

But yeah, it even smells like dog food coming out of the can.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
If Spam was good enough for Steelhead Bob, it's good enough for me.
Ah, Bob York, a true icon. Ran into him many times over the years. One time, while fishing out of a mothership in SE AK, we came upon Bob about 5 miles up a favorite steelhead river. He was up there in his little jet powered johnboat and had been camping for long enough that he was about out of food and had, of course, run out of liquor days ago. Feeling a bit compassionate we invited Bob down to the yacht for dinner and right on cue as we sat down for cocktails Bob came putting up in his boat smelling like an unwashed wood fire. I said Bob can I fix you a drink? Bob responded quickly, "Absolutely, I'll drink anything as long as it is strong and brown." I said"well we have wine, gin and we have vodka." Bob says,"perfect," He may have mixed all them together, repeatedly. Now this was a kinda fancy operation with all the trimmings. As the table was being cleared all that remained was a bowl of butter carefully sculpted into scalloped servings. Bob found a spoon still on the table and proceeded to eat the bowl of butter probably thinking it must be ice cream and soon after lurched into his boat and left into the darkness to motor some 5 miles up river in the pitch black of an early spring Alaska night. Guess he made it "home" as we saw him on over Prince of Wales on another creek later that week. "See ya on the steelhead trail, I'll be there."

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Last year I was looking for some easy food to prepare on fishing trips and stumbled across this stuff. I read all I could about it and then bought 3 brands to try out-Libby's, Hormel and Great Value. I fried each one until it was a little crisp and added fried eggs then hoped for the best. If you hope in one hand and fill the other hand with corned beef hash you will have a hand that your dog wants to lick. I rarely eat canned foods of any kind and trying this stuff reinforced that decision.

So what did I do wrong? Is there some trick to making the hash as good as some people swear that it is, is there something that I should add to enhance the flavor? Or is this just a treat that preppers sometimes feed their dogs once they sample it themselves?

I await your most astute opinions
I am grateful that I have much the same taste as a mangy ol' coyote, and would find welcome calories in each of your 'test brands'.

Of course I love my Toyota Tacoma 'death trap", fish from a kayak, and gladly swill PBR,.....so my judgment is rather suspect! 😀