Camping Gear Recommendation Thread

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
care to share the model and brand?
Dunno about him, but try m.olightstore.com , look up the Seeker 3 Pro (4200 lumems max output)
Or check on the Marauder Mini and the Baton 3 Pro Max.

Right now they're having a sale on a lot of stuff

They also sell camping/ outdoor related gear on another site, obuy.com or some such. You can access that site thru the 1st one I posted.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
This lives in the camper, and goes with me on float trips and day trips where food prep is necessary.
My GSI flask is by far the best hip flask I have had (and I've had a few!)

GSI Outdoors - Glacier Stainless Hip Flask for Camping, BBQ, Backpacking, Travel and Festivals - 8 oz. https://a.co/d/dsFts5H

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Grayl water filter bottles are awesome. Fill with water, push down, and drink. Filters viruses, etc, is dead simple, and is the fastest filter I’ve used.

Sawyer filters are smaller and cheaper, but you need a bottle or bag to drink from. Not nearly as convenient.

cdnred

Life of the Party
Just saw this posting. I bought (2) of these years ago, forgot where I bought them but they're great for hauling water to the campsite. Has wheels with handle for pulling plus holds 8 gal of water. You can lay it on it's side and it comes with a spigot for getting water as needed. An 8 gal jug of water is heavy and if you nead to carry for a long distance, being able to pull it rather then carry it is a life saver..

Attachments

• Jug1.JPG
    Jug1.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Jug2.JPG
    Jug2.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
This lives in the camper, and goes with me on float trips and day trips where food prep is necessary.
I picked up the cheaper GSI knife set from REI (with plastic handled knives rather than wood, cutting board, scrubby cloth, and soap container in a nice zippered kit that also holds my spatula) and it worked great on a recent car camping trip. Thanks for the recommendation, @O' Clarkii Stomias !

flybill

Life of the Party
I need a new tent, my REI half dome needs some work.. new poles. I have a Kelty Sunshade and a starter hammock, so can get by for sure. I need good straps for the hammock though or a stand..

I want a lightweight backpacking 1 person tent. Small. Not too concerned about the actual price, but I want it to be easy to setup and take down, even if it's wet!

Thanks in advance!

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
I need a new tent, my REI half dome needs some work.. new poles. I have a Kelty Sunshade and a starter hammock, so can get by for sure. I need good straps for the hammock though or a stand..

I want a lightweight backpacking 1 person tent. Small. Not too concerned about the actual price, but I want it to be easy to setup and take down, even if it's wet!

Thanks in advance!
There are a number of very light tents that the thruhike crowd uses; most seem to be single wall construction which is a non starter with my wife. We "needed" to replace our backpacking tent this year, and I went with the MSR Freelite two person tent. I am very pleased with it. They make a one and a three person version. Have a look at that.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter

Thanks in advance!
I have, and like, my REI half dome 2+. I like 2-person tents for solo camping so that I have some extra room to spread out and keep some gear inside. Just something to consider. Might want to stay with what you know!

Edit: I see REI has a 40%+ sale on some tents right now, including a 2-hoop one person Mountainsmith Lichen Peak that I used to have, for $96.73! I have come to like freestanding tents though, so I pick pick them up and move them around to dry them off and shake out leaf debris.

Edit 2: My 2-hoop tent (that it turns out I still have) is a Mountain Hardware PCT, not a Mountainsmith Lichen. Same design, though.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Waiting for ours to arrive. SOTO is a Japanese company noted for their high quality camping gear. This is aimed at the light and fast set.
Looks like a good application for car camping. There are far lighter and less bulky alternatives for backpacking.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have a Tarptent Contrail that is surplus to my needs. It's less than 2 pounds, packs compact, but is generously sized for one person. Two people would be a tight fit. It's single wall design but ventilates well. I've slept in it during rain and didn't get condensation in it. Takes about 3 minutes to set up after doing it a couple times.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I opted to bring this 3.5lb chair on a backpacking trip. Probably overkill, but on a trip that isn't too crazy and you aren't worried about every ounce - worth a little splurge for a comfy seat at camp. I bet they make even lighter weight ones somewhere. But this one is sturdy and super easy to setup.
Amazon product ASIN B07V6MR1R5
I have something similar in my truck...it's great for playing guitar, since it has no arm rests...