Camping Gear Recommendation Thread

Zak

Legend
Anyone ever use a portable twig stove? Something packable?
Yes. I used a Sierra Zip stove for many years and now use a Biolite stove that fits into its cooking pot. Both operate like little forges with forced air into the burn chamber, so they burn hot and consume twigs, pinecones, or anything combustible. Because they consume fuel fast, it is nice to carry a Silky saw to cut 1 to 2 inch diameter sticks into mini cord wood.

Pretty light and you don't need to carry fuel.

The Biolite uses temperature differentials somehow to generate electricity, that powers the blower fan and can charge your USB devices.

The big drawback is that these stoves are banned when a fire ban is in effect.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Anyone ever use a portable twig stove? Something packable?
Yeah, I use a titanium firebox when Im not with the family (and I'm allowed to have fires).
It's cool, but honestly, its a bit of a novelty. Im not a huge ounce counter, dont get me wrong i get as UL as I can afford, but when I'm also carrying a bunch of fishing gear im not exactly UL. My firebox is about half the weight of my MSR pocket rocket and a 4oz fuel can. the MSR boils water for dinner in like 30 seconds whereas the firebox i have to tend and collect wood. When I was on a 4 day trip and was tired and hungry earlier this year, i sure wished i had the msr.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
For car camping, the blue aquatainer water container is a worthy investment.

Way better and easier to carry than collapsible water containers.
The 7 gal cubes stack very nicely with other gear. I saw a YT vid about using a USB chargeable electric pump instead of the spigot.

This is the pump I got.
Amazon product ASIN B07SPZYNNT1 charge will easily pump 14 gallons. I do use the spigot screwed onto the cap inside the jug to seal the jug, and carry the pump in a small stuff sack looped onto the jug handle for transport.

I solved the loose fit of the pump on the cap issue the YTuber mentioned by using a plastic D49 Nipple, 3/4 MPT x 3/4 MHT, hose to sprinkler system adapter for $1.67 @ Home Depot.
One end screws into the jug cap, the other end is a press-on glove-like tight fit into the bottom of the electric pump with no modification.

Zak

Legend
The 7 gal cubes stack very nicely with other gear. I saw a YT vid about using a USB chargeable electric pump instead of the spigot.

This is the pump I got.
Amazon product ASIN B07SPZYNNT1 charge will easily pump 14 gallons. I do use the spigot screwed onto the cap inside the jug to seal the jug, and carry the pump in a small stuff sack looped onto the jug handle for transport.

I solved the loose fit of the pump on the cap issue the YTuber mentioned by using a plastic D49 Nipple, 3/4 MPT x 3/4 MHT, hose to sprinkler system adapter for $1.47 @ Home Depot. One end screws into the jug cap, the other end is a press-on glove-like tight fit into the bottom of the electric pump with no modification.

Help me understand. How is that better than putting the container on its side and using the included spigot?

Edit: maybe because there is not always a bench or picnic table to put the container on?

Zak

Legend
I like this collapsible lantern. It provides plenty of light for making and eating a meal, and provides a nice ambiance. I got the more expensive version that is also a power bank for charging phones.
LuminAID Solar Camping Lantern - Inflatable LED Lamp Perfect for Camping, Hiking, Travel and More - Emergency Light for Power Outages, Hurricane, Survival Kits - As Seen on Shark Tank https://a.co/d/cqZyGhl

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I keep this in the truck or the exploder, depending on use

Cadac 6540H1-10-EU Safari Chef https://a.co/d/j4rAo6m

And, though darn expensive, these go into my pack;

KujuCoffee Premium Pour Over Individual Coffee Packets - Backpacking, Travel, Camping Organic Coffee Singles - Fair Trade & Eco-Friendly - Ethiopia - Yirgacheffe, 6-pack https://a.co/d/hzrzo1N

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Help me understand. How is that better than putting the container on its side and using the included spigot?

Edit: maybe because there is not always a bench or picnic table to put the container on?
He demonstrates on the video using it inside the vehicle. The buttons on the pump are manual on-off, auto 1 liter, or auto ~8 ounces. I just find it to be more convenient than the manual spigot.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like this collapsible lantern. It provides plenty of light for making and eating a meal, and provides a nice ambiance. I got the more expensive version that is also a power bank for charging phones.
LuminAID Solar Camping Lantern - Inflatable LED Lamp Perfect for Camping, Hiking, Travel and More - Emergency Light for Power Outages, Hurricane, Survival Kits - As Seen on Shark Tank https://a.co/d/cqZyGhl
I use my Luminaid under the front of my truck while camping to discourage rodents. So far so good. Factory literature says it illuminates up to 24 hours but I have found that on low it last even longer and on blink-which I usually use for critters-it has lasted for 56 hours on a single charge. On high it is bright enough to read with and with the built in solar panel I just put it on the dash of the truck during the day to keep it charged. Where was this 40 years ago when I was backpacking?

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
My brother worked at the company in Kent that manufactured the (long-ago discontinued) "Kangaroo Kitchen" propane camp stove and gave me one many years ago. It's kind of a "Swiss Army Knife" variation of a propane Coleman stove and included a griddle for eggs and pancakes, and the top and bottom that form an oven that also does a nice job using hickory and mesquite smoke chips with steaks, and are also used for dish washing and rinse basins.
1691505653233.png

It does a lot but with the versatility it is harder to use than a Coleman stove

The compact single burner butane stoves are nice for car camping. Since up until recently I was more of a backpacker than car camper I admittedly didn't pay a lot of attention to fuel canisters available at the small stores in remote areas I frequent. I always saw propane canisters and didn't notice, or even know what aerosol butane cannisters looked like. But I found this dual fuel 1 burner stove and got it to ensure I could always find fuel if I ran out. I noticed that many comments mentioned the fuel valve has good simmering control. My experience with one-pot meals using regular grocery store bought foodstuffs requiring good simmering ability agrees with those comments.
Amazon product ASIN B07FJQ3KNK
When researching the butane cannisters I found an article mentioning that some of them can overheat and rupture; not good.
"The CRV (Countersink Release Vent) is a Butane can safety feature that allows gas to vent through the perforations in the can rim when extreme heat or pressure is too much. Non CRV cans will exploded with damaging results. The CRV approved cans are identified by their certification marked on the can and packaging (certification and compliance of either EN417 or UL147B) they also have a light blue colour rim."
Some of the cheap cannisters on Amazon do not have that blue rim.

Last edited:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
This might replace the Cadac Safari I like so much.

Limited-time deal: Campy Gear Little Guy 2 in 1 Portable Propane Heater & Stove, Outdoor Camping Gas Stove Camp Tent Heater for Ice Fishing Backpacking Hiking Hunting Survival Emergency (Navy Blue, 9,000 BTU -Mini) https://a.co/d/aRaL7ED

I love knives. Never without one. Like the Ulu style blades for versatility, but this Gerber recently found a place in my get home bag, replacing a 5 inch fixed blade made for me by a long departed friend

Gerber TRI-Tip, Mini Cleaver Fixed Blade Knife with Sheath, Black Handle [30-001693] https://a.co/d/7qrzbLz

Reactions: Zak

Max Morris

Just Hatched

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have a near $100 flashlight with 4 levels of brightness that will run for days on a single USB charge and on high is as bright as an automotive headlight. It weighs 4.9 ounces and fits in a shirt pocket.
care to share the model and brand?

Reactions: Zak

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
These are mostly an after thought for many campers.

1. Outdoor flytrap. A must if staying a few days and doing a lot of grilling or if kids are around leaving food uncovered.
2. Bug spray.
3. Sunscreen.