CA Seals and Sealions eating all of WA Springers?

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Hi Dustin -
I was curious about this statement. So I went to google, and in the search bar I typed in "Nisqually Pinniped". Thinking this would be a good place to start for an individual who was curious about this statement such as myself and was genuinely looking for a source of more information. I was delighted to find that the very first link lead me to quite a comprehensive study on pinnipeds titled: Pinniped Predation on Salmonids in the Washington Portions of the Salish Sea and Outer Coast. Eureka! I'm 5 seconds into my quest for knowledge and I've hit the jackpot. Rest assured though, I didn't quit there - the quest for knowledge continued. I then typed "nisqually" into the document search query and lo and behold, there were some hits! The first hit took me to a very nice chart (figure 9) on population size of selected wild stocks of coho. And while interesting, not quite exactly what I was looking for. But, despite my effort being pretty sizeable (roughly 20 seconds at this point), I decided not to quit, and pursue onward. So, I proceeded to review the second hit for the search query "nisqually", and would you believe what I found!!?? Look at this (below) here! It says that there was a recent study that found exactly what you said!! I'm definitely going to research this further when I have more time, but for now, the 45 seconds it took me to find this information all on my own is all I have to give this particular topic. Frankly, I'm pretty exhausted!! Perhpas Moore et al. will have to wait until tonight, when I have a moment to stretch out and relax along with a glass of fine red wine. Anyway, thanks for peaking my curiosity!!

View attachment 63815

Very good, but I think the point is being missed, I think the point is if you are going to make an authoritative statement of fact, you should provide the source for that statement, at least, that is how I was trained.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Very good, but I think the point is being missed, I think the point is if you are going to make an authoritative statement of fact, you should provide the source for that statement, at least, that is how I was trained.
Not sure what you're talking about. Evan asked for this to get back on track so I was just sharing a neat fact I learned about pinniped predation on Nisqually steelhead smolts today!

Reactions: JS

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Hi Dustin -
I was curious about this statement. So I went to google, and in the search bar I typed in "Nisqually Pinniped". Thinking this would be a good place to start for an individual who was curious about this statement such as myself and was genuinely looking for a source of more information. I was delighted to find that the very first link lead me to quite a comprehensive study on pinnipeds titled: Pinniped Predation on Salmonids in the Washington Portions of the Salish Sea and Outer Coast. Eureka! I'm 5 seconds into my quest for knowledge and I've hit the jackpot. Rest assured though, I didn't quit there - the quest for knowledge continued. I then typed "nisqually" into the document search query and lo and behold, there were some hits! The first hit took me to a very nice chart (figure 9) on population size of selected wild stocks of coho. And while interesting, not quite exactly what I was looking for. But, despite my effort being pretty sizeable (roughly 20 seconds at this point), I decided not to quit, and pursue onward. So, I proceeded to review the second hit for the search query "nisqually", and would you believe what I found!!?? Look at this (below) here! It says that there was a recent study that found exactly what you said!! I'm definitely going to research this further when I have more time, but for now, the 45 seconds it took me to find this information all on my own is all I have to give this particular topic. Frankly, I'm pretty exhausted!! Perhpas Moore et al. will have to wait until tonight, when I have a moment to stretch out and relax along with a glass of fine red wine. Anyway, thanks for peaking my curiosity!!

View attachment 63815

But the was nothing about Chinook smolts, which are roughly half the size of Steelhead smolts.

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Not sure what you're talking about. Evan asked for this to get back on track so I was just sharing a neat fact I learned about pinniped predation on Nisqually steelhead smolts today!

Perhaps I misunderstood, I thought I detected a fair bit of snark (ie, by telling us how quickly and with what little effort you found everything), but I could well have been wrong, in which case, my sincerest apologies. My overall statement with regards to sourcing, which @Dustin Chromers did not provide, stands.

• Haha

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

This is true in an academic setting among academics which I'm aware is your wheelhouse and yes, proper training. This is not an academic setting. Furthermore the screaming for source over a great many things much of the time is used to stifle conversation or debate or discourage folks from participating. And it basically worked as I had little wish to engage any further on the topic save for your post as it's congenial and genuine. My knowledge of these studies came to me through a conversation with a qualified expert. Am I to document that conversation to participate in a fishing forum (a non academic setting)? Yes I've read the studies but don't intend to keep them on speed dial so to speak for some source nazi on a fishing forum. There is a time and place for such things and courtesy goes a long ways. Had you asked I would have been happy to provide you some sources. Then again you would probably frame your request with more than two words indicating genuine interest.

In fact source Nazis would demand a paper from Newton himself to prove gravity was real in some cases. Then they might go onto invalidate your understanding of gravity because I'm not a physicist and Newton might be attacked as not reputable because everyone knows gravity is god's way of separating men and birds and therefore a supernatural phenomenon. The argument of a place of authority is an abused and bullshit position to do nothing more than to shut down a discussion. If a poster who has a history of posts of that nature is so interested they can do some legwork for themselves. Let them invest some time rather than yell "source!" as a means to be unconstructive and waste other people's time. Paige had no issue elaborating and even sharpening or correcting my statement to pear it down to steelhead smolt as he probably was familiar with the same set of work.

Now if you will all excuse me I'm in the middle of reading some wonderful work by Philip Morris on how cigarettes technically don't cause cancer. I mean I gotta believe it cause they are in the business.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
But the was nothing about Chinook smolts, which are roughly half the size of Steelhead smolts.
Ummmm.....You have to cite authoritative statements of fact in this thread. For example, "chinook smolts, which are roughly half the size of steelhead smolts". You can't say that without citing a source.

But you're right - it's specific to steelhead and not nookies. I'll follow up on this topic after I've had a chance to digest Moore et al tonight. Rest assured, the quest for knowledge continues!!

• Haha

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Chinook smolts favor estuary habitats that steelhead smolts do not utilize if I recall correctly. Chinook tend to stay in estuaries for around 6 weeks, and prefer shallow marshy flats that offer some protection, foraging pinnipeds would have difficulty in that type of environment one might think.
I think Steelhead smolts blow right through estuaries, compatatively speaking, and do not utilize the marshy flats like Chinook.

Obligatory citing info below, in regards to Chinook and estuaries.

🤣

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
This is true in an academic setting among academics which I'm aware is your wheelhouse and yes, proper training. This is not an academic setting. Furthermore the screaming for source over a great many things much of the time is used to stifle conversation or debate or discourage folks from participating. And it basically worked as I had little wish to engage any further on the topic save for your post as it's congenial and genuine. My knowledge of these studies came to me through a conversation with a qualified expert. Am I to document that conversation to participate in a fishing forum (a non academic setting)? Yes I've read the studies but don't intend to keep them on speed dial so to speak for some source nazi on a fishing forum. There is a time and place for such things and courtesy goes a long ways. Had you asked I would have been happy to provide you some sources. Then again you would probably frame your request with more than two words indicating genuine interest.

In fact source Nazis would demand a paper from Newton himself to prove gravity was real in some cases. Then they might go onto invalidate your understanding of gravity because I'm not a physicist and Newton might be attacked as not reputable because everyone knows gravity is god's way of separating men and birds and therefore a supernatural phenomenon. The argument of a place of authority is an abused and bullshit position to do nothing more than to shut down a discussion. If a poster who has a history of posts of that nature is so interested they can do some legwork for themselves. Let them invest some time rather than yell "source!" as a means to be unconstructive and waste other people's time. Paige had no issue elaborating and even sharpening or correcting my statement to pear it down to steelhead smolt as he probably was familiar with the same set of work.

Now if you will all excuse me I'm in the middle of reading some wonderful work by Philip Morris on how cigarettes technically don't cause cancer. I mean I gotta believe it cause they are in the business.
Source nazis - really?

Had you asked I would have been happy to provide you some sources. Then again you would probably frame your request with more than two words indicating genuine interest.

I did ask - and not with 2 words (that might have been someone else. My exact words were "Though I don't have a dog in this fight, I too would be very interested in @Dustin Chromers sources, the more evidence and confirming studies, the stronger the argument. On the other hand, if anyone has contradictory evidence, it would be useful to see that." #86

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Source nazis - really?

I did ask - and not with 2 words (that might have been someone else. My exact words were "Though I don't have a dog in this fight, I too would be very interested in @Dustin Chromers sources, the more evidence and confirming studies, the stronger the argument. On the other hand, if anyone has contradictory evidence, it would be useful to see that." #86

Yes, source Nazis. Also those that argue in bad faith from a position of authority. "you can't define this because you are not that." Both are bad faith positions and not worth entertaining.

I do apologize as I did see your post but at that time had decided to not engage any further here which I'm sure would please a couple of people. Are you debating the facts or do you just want me to dig around for you as an exercise? The who moves who approach. Neither you or Flymph move me. I think it's well established that what I stated (with Paige's correction for clarity) is in fact well documented. I will not be citing my sources to please a peanut gallery of nit picking bad faith bullshit attempts to derail the statement.

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
And how's that been working out?
The sea lions aren’t congregating at Bonneville and Willamette Falls in significant numbers anymore. They moved to other areas this year. If the success of the program continues, and also works in the other areas when traps are moved there, I’d say things are working well. Those are big ifs, but the very early data has been pretty good.

Flymph

Steelhead
The sea lions aren’t congregating at Bonneville and Willamette Falls in significant numbers anymore. They moved to other areas this year. If the success of the program continues, and also works in the other areas when traps are moved there, I’d say things are working well. Those are big ifs, but the very early data has been pretty good.
Matt: This excerpt from NOAA Fisheries: The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife estimates that sea lion removals at Bonneville Dam though 2018 have prevented the loss of 30,212 to 36,848 salmon and steelhead. In November 2018, we issued the State of Oregon a second authorization to remove predatory sea lions at Willamette Falls.

Question? Haven't Salmon and Steelhead numbers been in decline since 2018?
A Washington State report put it bluntly: Because of the devastating effects of climate change and deteriorating habitats, several species of salmon in the Pacific Northwest are “on the brink of extinction.”

Of the 14 species of salmon and steelhead trout in Washington State that have been deemed endangered and are protected under the Endangered Species Act, 10 are lagging recovery goals and five of those are considered “in crisis,” according to the 2020 State of Salmon in Watersheds report, which was released last week.

These two articles seem to contradict each other. If killing more and more sea lions is saving salmon why are the salmon still on the brink of extinction?

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Matt: This excerpt from NOAA Fisheries: The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife estimates that sea lion removals at Bonneville Dam though 2018 have prevented the loss of 30,212 to 36,848 salmon and steelhead. In November 2018, we issued the State of Oregon a second authorization to remove predatory sea lions at Willamette Falls.

Question? Haven't Salmon and Steelhead numbers been in decline since 2018?
A Washington State report put it bluntly: Because of the devastating effects of climate change and deteriorating habitats, several species of salmon in the Pacific Northwest are “on the brink of extinction.”

Of the 14 species of salmon and steelhead trout in Washington State that have been deemed endangered and are protected under the Endangered Species Act, 10 are lagging recovery goals and five of those are considered “in crisis,” according to the 2020 State of Salmon in Watersheds report, which was released last week.

These two articles seem to contradict each other. If killing more and more sea lions is saving salmon why are the salmon still on the brink of extinction?
Sea lion removals increased significantly in 2020, when NOAA finalized permits to the states and tribes allowing them to kill sea lions under the new MMPA amendment. The most important part of that was allowing stellar sea lion removal and not requiring individual animals to be identified as salmon eaters.
IMG_3518.png

The numbers of fish saved are significant. Below is a chart showing the number of fish consumed by California sea lions, and predicted future impacts from CSLs.
IMG_3519.png

There are many factors impacting salmon and steelhead returns. Those returns can still decline when sea lion removals have positive effects.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Sea lion removals increased significantly in 2020, when NOAA finalized permits to the states and tribes allowing them to kill sea lions under the new MMPA amendment. The most important part of that was allowing stellar sea lion removal and not requiring individual animals to be identified as salmon eaters.
View attachment 63879

The numbers of fish saved are significant. Below is a chart showing the number of fish consumed by California sea lions, and predicted future impacts from CSLs.
View attachment 63880

There are many factors impacting salmon and steelhead returns. Those returns can still decline when sea lion removals have positive effects.
Two questions:
1. Is this total removals from both state and tribal efforts?

2. How many of the removals were relocations as opposed to lethal removal?

It would seem to me that the non-lethal removal is somewhat of a waste of time due to this….

“ODFW spent five weeks in February and March relocating 10 California sea lions to a beach south of Newport, Oregon, approximately 210 miles away, only to see the animals return within four to six days. One of the sea lions was even captured and relocated to the coast twice, but swam back both times.

Shaun Clements, ODFW senior policy adviser, said the problem is becoming increasingly dire as Upper Willamette Basin steelhead are pushed to the brink of extinction. This year's run currently stands at 1,338 steelhead — slightly higher than 2017, but far below historic steelhead returns that often topped 10,000 fish.”

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Two questions:
1. Is this total removals from both state and tribal efforts?

2. How many of the removals were relocations as opposed to lethal removal?

It would seem to me that the non-lethal removal is somewhat of a waste of time due to this….

“ODFW spent five weeks in February and March relocating 10 California sea lions to a beach south of Newport, Oregon, approximately 210 miles away, only to see the animals return within four to six days. One of the sea lions was even captured and relocated to the coast twice, but swam back both times.

Shaun Clements, ODFW senior policy adviser, said the problem is becoming increasingly dire as Upper Willamette Basin steelhead are pushed to the brink of extinction. This year's run currently stands at 1,338 steelhead — slightly higher than 2017, but far below historic steelhead returns that often topped 10,000 fish.”
I don’t know for sure if this is total removals for both the states and tribes. I think it is, but I’m not sure. These are the lethal removals.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
I’m curious how WDFW is approaching the harvest model. Compared to say, bear or cougar hunting.

Granted, I understand there is currently no direct analog to sea lion harvest.

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’m curious how WDFW is approaching the harvest model. Compared to say, bear or cougar hunting.

Granted, I understand there is currently no direct analog to sea lion harvest.
Sea lions aren’t a good fit for hunting. Evidently they are often very heavily contaminated with a variety of heavy metals and other yuckiness that is bad enough that WDFW employees have to wear PPE to handle the meat and organs. Besides that, there are some added dangers when dealing with firearm safety on and around federally navigable waters.