C&R record steelhead

Smalma

Life of the Party
Is the Idaho State record steelhead was 30.13# fish that was 44 inches long.

The Washington State record steelhead (also a Snake river summer fish) was a 35# 1 ounce fish that was 48.5" long. Interestedly both fish were caught in 1973.

Curt

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
I'm surprised to learn that a 41" fish is a record for the Clearwater. That would be what... like 21 lbs in prime, fed-up condition? (Probably 19 in current condition.) Granted, that's a heck of a fish (beats my best by a mile), but isn't the Clearwater legendary for giant summer runs (to the mid-20s)? Maybe everything bigger has been bonked?
It is bullshit Shad, but this whole Clearwater C&R record has only been going on for a few years. I've released one that was photographed and taped over 40" (a hatchery fish no less), and that wouldn't have even get the old timer's blood pressure up. I've seen fish larger than mine caught, and I lost one in 2017 that dwarfed it. Dead or alive, that fish was just a larger than average B run.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Honestly, I don't really give a crap either way with that old smoker. Nice big fish. Nice and old beat up fish. Nice and dead fish.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Is the Idaho State record steelhead was 30.13# fish that was 44 inches long.

The Washington State record steelhead (also a Snake river summer fish) was a 35# 1 ounce fish that was 48.5" long. Interestedly both fish were caught in 1973.

Curt
The state record winter run isn't that much smaller at 32.75#. East Fork Lewis 1980.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I quickly scanned that replay of the encounter the guy wrote. After the part about having 120 to 130 feet of floating line on the water and the "vintage Hardy Perfect" I knew all I needed to know. Somewhat surprised he didn't carefully select the hand tied fly out of a battered old Wheatley.
I caught that too… a little humble brag (and maybe a little exaggeration) on what a great cast he made. 😃

Reactions: JS

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Somewhat surprised he didn't carefully select the hand tied fly out of a battered old Wheatley.
Wait, are you saying that some flies are not tied by hand? I don't know of any other kind. All my Wheatleys are old and therefore battered. Not that that has anything to do with the size of the fish I catch. Or anything else for that matter.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Damn, tough crowd. Haha!

To me, the fish is looking down so probably alive. Would I like to see more water between it and the rocks? Sure, especially given our vast selection of rubber nets that most of us can afford now.

The biggest thing that got me was the "The full floating spey line was at approximately 120 to 130 feet when the fly started the swing,"
Ah-huh, sure man. Nice cast. :LOL:

On the topic of landing steelhead...I'm 100% in favor of rubber landing nets. Not looking for an argument. Just my opinion based on the fish I've landed with a net versus the fish I've landed without a net.

We've all had landings go wrong, especially with big fish. If you haven't, you haven't fished long enough. Nets decrease my bad landings. Things can still go wrong, but usually that's bad news for me, not the fish. I also freely admit I have high net man standards, brought on by some bad net man trauma. Haha!
So don't be offended when I say "No thanks, I got it" if you ask me if you can help me by netting my big fish. :ROFLMAO:

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
In my honest opinion landing fish from the bank with a net saves about 30 seconds if not even less.
Just ask Daniel Ocean, sorry bud, I had to go there 😁
Total waist off time and even extends the fight.

I can't see how anyone can think this fish is alive and the eye is looking down. This fish is 100% dead, plain and simple!

Just look at the 2 examples of live fish vs this dead fish!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In my honest opinion landing fish from the bank with a net saves about 30 seconds if not even less.
Just ask Daniel Ocean, sorry bud, I had to go there 😁
Total waist off time and even extends the fight.

I can't see how anyone can think this fish is alive and the eye is looking down. This fish is 100% dead, plain and simple!

Just look at the 2 examples of live fish vs this dead fish!

Agreed. I haven't used a proper salmon/steelhead net when bank fishing in years. Usually not enough help to justify the hassle of lugging one around.

I made an exception last week after losing so many fish in this bouldery pocket water over the last few weeks. Many at the last minute. Apparently the net has fish repellent properties because this was the 1st day I didn't see or hook a single fish in this spot.

Screenshot_20231030_091508_Gallery.jpg

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Where do you get a line that long?
Actually some of the older "long" lines like the Rio Windcutter were 130' to 150' long in the bigger sizes. Not too many casters are skilled enough to throw the entire spey line but maybe this guy was. Or he fed a bunch of extra line into the cast once it hit the water and got it to that length "before the swing".

I like his reel and tried to zoom in and see what spey rod he was using, but couldn't see any markings. It looks big though.

Millsfly

Steelhead
This whole thing is kinda a joke. I know of several fish bigger than this caught this year, we just dont tape and fuck with them enough to get an official length. Hold to your rod, mark that spot, go from there. Idaho is so regressive in terms of anadromous fish it's not even funny

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Actually some of the older "long" lines like the Rio Windcutter were 130' to 150' long in the bigger sizes. Not too many casters are skilled enough to throw the entire spey line but maybe this guy was. Or he fed a bunch of extra line into the cast once it hit the water and got it to that length "before the swing".

I like his reel and tried to zoom in and see what spey rod he was using, but couldn't see any markings. It looks big though.
Merle, the rod appears to be a Bruce and Walker 16'6" Walker, paired with an old Hardy Perfect 4". Many of the folks that use longer spey rods also cast extended taper lines (70'+ forward tapers). He certainly may have cast all 120', it's possible with rods that length. Guys with big rods often like to talk about how far they cast - it's important to them. Probably why he included that little detail in his story. ;)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
This whole thing is kinda a joke. I know of several fish bigger than this caught this year, we just dont tape and fuck with them enough to get an official length. Hold to your rod, mark that spot, go from there. Idaho is so regressive in terms of anadromous fish it's not even funny
The whole idea of records like this is so far beyond me. I don't understand why we need this to be a thing in the first place.