C&R record steelhead

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Kinda looks like it never went back to the ocean and this is the fish's second fall in fresh water.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Level eyes equals dead fish!
There eyes are like doll eyes, their eye muscles keep them vertical, so as they get rotated off kilter the eyes try and keep vertical and would be looking down if on the side.

Dead
20200927_095225_resized.jpg

Alive

20130608_201307-1-2.jpg

See the difference!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
If not dead, the fish looks really stressed. It could be that it was “played half to death” as it was hauled up and posed with the rod for the photo.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
The eye looks to me that it has a downward cast. And I think if the photo was taken from directly overhead, or from the tail or head area, or even from the other side of the fish, it would reveal that to be so.

Shad

Life of the Party
I'm surprised to learn that a 41" fish is a record for the Clearwater. That would be what... like 21 lbs in prime, fed-up condition? (Probably 19 in current condition.) Granted, that's a heck of a fish (beats my best by a mile), but isn't the Clearwater legendary for giant summer runs (to the mid-20s)? Maybe everything bigger has been bonked?

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
I quickly scanned that replay of the encounter the guy wrote. After the part about having 120 to 130 feet of floating line on the water and the "vintage Hardy Perfect" I knew all I needed to know. Somewhat surprised he didn't carefully select the hand tied fly out of a battered old Wheatley.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm surprised to learn that a 41" fish is a record for the Clearwater. That would be what... like 21 lbs in prime, fed-up condition? (Probably 19 in current condition.) Granted, that's a heck of a fish (beats my best by a mile), but isn't the Clearwater legendary for giant summer runs (to the mid-20s)? Maybe everything bigger has been bonked?
Many years ago I saw one being unloaded from a tribal gillnet boat in the CR Gorge that... was 30+#. Yeah, I know that's a strong statement, but it was at least as long as the posted fish, and was THICK.

I think Idaho just created a new C&R category based on length a few years ago, so it's likely to be bested before too long. Don't think this one is going to be making it to the spawning gravel though.

This specimen probably wouldn't really have generated too much interest 50 years ago prior to the abomination that is Dworshak and the destruction of the NF Clearwater run.