Butane Stove Recommendations?

et64

Smolt
I'm looking to get a single burner butane stove to use when I'm using my BBQ and smoker. I've never used one before and they seem to range from $20 to $100+. Is the Iwatani worth the extra cost or would a cheaper one work just as well?
Thanks!

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
I have an Iwatani and it is wonderful! I love the high BTU’s (12,000) and often use it for searing steak in cast iron.

I also have a much smaller Kovea Mini that I use for solo camping. I love it too but it has lower BTU output. However, it has a ceramic cast iron pan with lid that stores in the stove and it all fits into a carry case.

et64

Smolt
Thank you @Freestone! I was trying to figure out what that green stove was in the Camping/Fishing Rigs thread. It sounds like the Iwatani is the way to go for me. The higher BTUs will give me greater flexibility and I'm not worried about space like I would be if I was camping.

I had a couple of them and they were super handy. I started to regret the amount of waste associated with them. If I could find a more sustainable/refillable butane source I would go back pretty quickly.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Buy more butane canisters than you think you will need. My local sources run out fairly regularly. I have had the best luck finding butane in Asian markets.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I use the original version of this:

It's a bit bulky but has held up well over 10 years.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My Iwatani is in everyday service here at the house and travels with me wherever I take the Casa. They are definitely worth the extra couple of bucks as they have a preheating device that helps to keep the canister warm. As far as butane is concerned buy it by the case on Amazon or some other bulk seller. A case is 12 cans and the last case I ordered was about $25. Usually lots more than that in stores.

I have noticed that the canisters are made in Korea and regardless of the brand they all look like they are made in the same factory. Most of the stoves look alike also but few are as powerful as the Iwatani. I see Iwatani's in use on many cooking shows on TV and YouTube, they seem to be the gold standard.