Building a rod newbie

I've decided I'd like to build a rod. Most of the steps and techniques are covered online in multiple places... however, there is a question I have I haven't seen mentioned.

With rod blanks - are spare tips available for order from some manufacturers? I was considering buying a nice Sage blank for instance - now I wouldn't expect them to "warranty" said rod, but if I were to break a tip would I be able to order another? If Sage doesn't - is there any manufacturer that offers this? I'm fairly gentle on my stuff... I'd just hate to buy a nice blank and end up needing to rebuild an entire rod because I was stupid and slammed it in a car door, or fell down in the river getting away from hornets(happened to my wife lol).

Thanks again guys.

Mike Ediger

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
In general (don't know about all companies) the blanks are still warrantied. They just send you a new section and you have to rewrap that section, but you aren't rebuilding the entire rod. Even if it isn't a warranty issue, you can purchase a single section to rewrap. What I have never asked, is if you can proactively buy a tip section and intentionally wrap both...might be worth emailing or calling the company you are interested in. But Sage has always been easy to deal with when I need to repair a Sage that I have built. I hope this helps.
Mike

In general (don't know about all companies) the blanks are still warrantied. They just send you a new section and you have to rewrap that section, but you aren't rebuilding the entire rod. Even if it isn't a warranty issue, you can purchase a single section to rewrap. What I have never asked, is if you can proactively buy a tip section and intentionally wrap both...might be worth emailing or calling the company you are interested in. But Sage has always been easy to deal with when I need to repair a Sage that I have built. I hope this helps.
Mike
That’s just what I wanted to know.

I knew some of the cost savings is obviously in labor and parts(blank vs built rod), but I incorrectly assumed that it also wouldn’t include a warranty.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
If you've never built a rod before, you might consider getting an inexpensive "kit" rod to warm up on. Just saying. You can always sell it to recoup some of your funds. Your second rod will be a huge improvement on your first. Check out Proof fly fishing for kits,parts and great tutorials...

Last edited:

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
There is a warranty on the blank, you have to rebuild the part of the blank you broke. I just dealt with Batson. I broke the top section of a 4 piece blank and he had me send in the closest section and he had me a new tip section back in less than a week, even with the shipping. And it was only $30 for the new section. The full blank is nearly $300. I would seriously consider checking out Batson, especially for a first build. Never been disappointed by them.

MSehlin

Smolt
If you've never built a rod before, you might consider getting an inexpensive "kit" rod to warm up on. Just saying. You can always sell it to recoup some of your funds. Your second rod will be a huge improvement on your first. Check out Proof fly fishing for kits,parts and great tutorials...

I can not agree more with this.

The results on rod builds 2, 3 and 4 were signifigant. Learn in a cheap build.

Griswald

Steelhead
I have built 2 rods and I agree about build quality improving. I built a Sage blank and broke the tip several years ago, they sent me a new blank tip, I think whatever the fee was is minimal because I don't remember it. I broke it (and told Sage) they turned the order quick.
The mosr difficult part for me is getting my thread coating consistant and even...just take your time and all will be well. I remember being up in Kamloops about 15 years ago and caught lots of great fish on a rod I built with flies I tied and in a pram that me and Nomlasder (I think) made. Was a good feeling

Divad

Whitefish
Whichever route you go I’d reach out to the company and buy an extra tip with the blank. It’s nice to have ahead of time on hand.

I’ve learned so many do’s and don’ts from my first inexpensive blank build. Additionally learned I’ll never buy a premade cork grip again, they’re all too thin and can’t verify quality. Plus it’s good fun shaping and crafting your own.

Regarding starting on a cheaper rod - I've given it thought... my only issue is that I have a fairly full quiver as it is(I mean is it ever really full? but I digress). I don't want to build a rod that I'm gonna fish once or twice and then it sits. I've done enough of buying lower end stuff, selling and losing money, and then buying what I really wanted and it always ends up costing more in the end. If its something I'm new to I don't mind keeping it cheap to make sure I like it, but I've been fly fishing for 12ish years and I keep doing it every year... I've got no issue spending a little extra on something here or there. Especially considering how cheap blanks are vs factory built rods.

What I have room for is a dry fly rod in 4wt, so that's what I was intending on building. Either a Trout LL, or a Winston Pure(or TMF). With this said, there's obviously no rush to get the rod built. If it takes me 6 months to get it finished its not a big deal... even if I only average tying in one guide per week it would still be finished before I could really use it.

Nonose

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Regarding starting on a cheaper rod - I've given it thought... my only issue is that I have a fairly full quiver as it is(I mean is it ever really full? but I digress). I don't want to build a rod that I'm gonna fish once or twice and then it sits. I've done enough of buying lower end stuff, selling and losing money, and then buying what I really wanted and it always ends up costing more in the end. If its something I'm new to I don't mind keeping it cheap to make sure I like it, but I've been fly fishing for 12ish years and I keep doing it every year... I've got no issue spending a little extra on something here or there. Especially considering how cheap blanks are vs factory built rods.

What I have room for is a dry fly rod in 4wt, so that's what I was intending on building. Either a Trout LL, or a Winston Pure(or TMF). With this said, there's obviously no rush to get the rod built. If it takes me 6 months to get it finished its not a big deal... even if I only average tying in one guide per week it would still be finished before I could really use it.
Mix all your epoxy’s very well watch for air bubbles be sure it’s what you want before you glue take your time

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
You

You can do a few practice wraps on a section of one of your existing rods and just not epoxy them. You can try learning trim bands etc. Try large and small guides etc...Best of luck..

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
You can also practice wrapping and epoxy finish using various diameters of doweling - I would take some time to practice finishing the threads; I do cane rods so have not worked with epoxy to finish threads, but there is no faster way too ruin a rod's looks than to have a crappy finish on your wraps - it's just about the first thing anyone looks at on a finished rod.

Good luck and have fun!!

Last edited:

rewalker

Just Hatched
I have built all kinds of rods for years and experience is key as many other have said. I would also spend some time on You-Tube, especially the guys at mudhole.com or getbitoutdoors.com as they live this stuff all day long and have some great tips even for the experienced builder.

Good luck with the build! it is addicting, like fishing :)

Bruce Baker

Steelhead

Have you ever looked into Mud Hole? Just curious.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I buy spinning rod materials from Mudhole but just find Proof has better fly rod choices with fair prices and quick inexpensive shipping. Their service is spot on also...

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When wrapping your blank keep your thread wraps the same size just enough to cover the guide foots, I use Threadmaster Epoxy for the wraps it's more forgiven. Also spine your blank google spine a rod blank show you how.

rewalker

Just Hatched
Have you ever looked into Mud Hole? Just curious.
I have bought numerous blanks and components from them, all with great service. If i am tying up a new fly rod, i will shop around as there are other, including proof that are great to work with. From a beginner's standpoint, mudhole has a ton of videos and online tutorials that may help.