Brrrrrrr and bamboo

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
I fish my impregnated Sharpes spliced bamboo rods all through the winter. The Scots fished bamboo in February for spring salmon so why can't I fish my Sharpes in the winter when the river looks like this...

DD9210D5-D737-4993-8C04-D9C11A399AFB_1_105_c.jpeg
I think impregnated bamboo rods are impervious to cold. Not sure though about varnished bamboo and I admit I'm more cautious when ice is forming in the guides especially if I'm shooting line. I don't the guide to seize up on a forward cast of a strip retrieve and all the pressure to form on a sort section of rod.

My two favorite bull trout rods are a 9' varnished phillipsons and I've used then on several very cold days without mishap.

Last edited:

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I fish my impregnated Sharpes spliced bamboo rods all through the winter. The Scots fished bamboo in February for spring salmon so why can't I fish my Sharpes in the winter when the river looks like this...

View attachment 44188
I think impregnated rods are impervious to cold. Not sure though about varnished bamboo and I admit I'm more cautious when ice is forming in the guides especially if I'm shooting line. I don't the guide to seize up on a forward cast of a strip retrieve and all the pressure to form on a sort section of rod.

My two favorite bull trout rods are a 9' varnished phillipsons and I've used then on several very cold days without mishap.

So what is the difference between impregnated rods and varnished rods?

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
So what is the difference between impregnated rods and varnished rods?
Will let more expert minds weigh in but my understanding is this. Impregnated bamboo rods get a resin bath which allows the resin to saturate into the bamboo fibers which makes the bamboo waterproof and more sturdy. Varnished rods are dipped in a varnish tank. The varnish seals the outside of the bamboo but doesn't saturate the bamboo.

Varnish rods have a painted on finish. It's shiny and lovely and smooth when new...
0725AF99-178B-46AA-A8B9-75839F1A9ADF_1_105_c.jpeg

but it's subject to cracking or chipping over time
61AAD607-7ECC-4AF1-9022-E4736A81DC23_1_105_c.jpeg
Impregnated rods have a duller finish but the finish is baked into the bamboo so it can't chip or crack...
F5C25961-A57A-4D05-9799-0268E4F49CC2_1_105_c.jpeg
The impregnation is also supposed to make the bamboo a little bit stronger and less likely to take a set.

Impregnation adds an extra step to bamboo rodmaking so most rod makers don't do it. The ones that did were Orvis, Wright and McGill, Sharpes, Phillipson (sometimes) and Leonard (sometimes)...Purists think the impregnated rods aren't as pretty or as lively.

Last edited:

Kenneth Yong

Fishy Spam
Forum Supporter
I'm a huge fan of impregnated rods: like Dave pointed out, weather-proof, not prone to sets, indestructible finish, and, IMHO, plenty pretty with that nice satin look.

Action? Bunkum that they feel "dead" in the hand. Cast an Orvis Flea, 6-1/2' of 3wt delight weighing only 2oz, and you'll find enlightenment, my son.

Like Dave, my go to rod for light SWFF is a Sharpes, in my case a Scottie 88, just a fine, fine 5/6 wt. For heavier work, up to 8wt, I use an Orvis Battenkill 8-1/2 footer from 1950.

Winters in Central Italy are generally mild, so you don't get the tens of degrees centigrade below zero that you might experience, but once there's snow on the ground, it's cold enough for me!

Still, and finally getting to the question at hand, I've fished impregnated bamboo rods at temperatures of down to -5°C (23°F) with no problems at all.

Kenneth

Edit: Corrected spelling error

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
For the most part I treat my bamboo rods like my MG, fair weather toys. I have fished my impregnated Cortland on the lakes with snow and shore ice, but usually opt for something else.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Like Dave, my go to rod for light SWFF is a Sharpes, in my case a Scottie 88, just a fine, fine 5/6 wt. For heavier work, up to 8wt, I use an Orvis Battenkill 8-1/2 footer from 1950.
I too fish and enjoy the sharpes 88 impregnated staggered ferrule bamboo rod. It's a great buy in the US because most US anglers don't know the Sharpes name. There's a sharpes 88 listed on the big auction site right now for approx $200 including shipping. The rod was designed for river fishing but I like mine for lowland lakes or Kamloops trout. Greg Armstrong uses his Sharpes 88 in the salt water. I liked the 88 so much I bought a Sharpes 85 and Sharpes 83...
09853E2B-5F94-4BAA-9AD8-A360FBB7B564_1_105_c.jpeg
...also have a 7'6" Sharpes scottie and 10' spliced, 12' spliced and 13' spliced Sharpes. Some day I'd like to write a book about Sharpes of Aberdeen.

Last edited:

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
It’s worth remembering that all the way up through the 40’s and into the 50’s all the winter steelheaders were using bamboo in all kinds of nasty cold weather.

That’s true Greg......but those bamboo rods were new then and until fiberglass came out they were the fishin sticks! But the question now is unless you’re one of our talented makers.....are my old Hotrodz as brittle and cold as me?? I still have fiberglass or (gasp!) graphite to use.

Last edited:

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Do I fish bamboo in the cold? Heck yes. Took my sharpes 12' 8/9 spliced bamboo fly rod out today to swim some Silver Ladies down a loooong riffle.
Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 8.26.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 8.27.36 PM.png
The more things change the more they stay the same. Tried some new lines (OPST Commando head 425 Grain and Nextcast Winter Authority 55). Ditched them both halfway through the day for my tried and true Rio Midspey 8/9.

Last edited:

flybill

Life of the Party
Damn, now I need a Sharpes!! Will have to find the auction site.. Bamboo is tougher than graphite and I fish with it, weather not withstanding! Of course I prefer to fish dry's so that's the only reason I wouldn't fish my bamboo.. I'll break out my beach / streamer rod.. my Batson RX-8+!

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Damn, now I need a Sharpes!! Will have to find the auction site.. Bamboo is tougher than graphite and I fish with it, weather not withstanding! Of course I prefer to fish dry's so that's the only reason I wouldn't fish my bamboo.. I'll break out my beach / streamer rod.. my Batson RX-8+!
There are lots and lots of Sharpes on the auction site. If you buy a two handed Sharpes I'd get something which is spliced. The 13 foot spliced rod is a heavy 16 ounces and will feel tip heavy on the swing unless you pair it with a heavy old reel. I fish mine with a 9/10 Gravity point spey and a 4.5" JW Young 10B or 4.25" Alex Martin Thistle.
6F43FFF9-0C9D-465D-9148-01939FFE3EF0_1_105_c.jpeg

The 12' spliced sharpes is lighter at 12 ounces but much rarer.

0C299653-D398-4C36-8DF4-DA17B74FA6EC_1_105_c.jpeg

There are a couple Sharpes Eighty Eight 8'8" 5/6 weights on the auction site right now. The rod carries a 5/6 rating but I like mine better as a 6 weight.

kmudgn

Steelhead
I am not really in the market for one, but I always look. I saw on the auction site that the rods only have one tip. Is that the normal way they are sold, or is the 2nd tip missing

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ok....let’s get back to the original question.
I fished last winter one day on the Fall River in Sunriver OR in blowing snow and a foot of snow along the banks. I used my "Payne 201" clone I had wrapped on a blank made by Jeff Pope. The rod held up just fine but I did not. That stage on the way home when numbness turns into pain is not fun. I'll try again in the cold but will need to figure out better ways to keep from freezing my extremities off, LOL.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Inspired, I took the Leonard 66H out today. A 5/6, it was super for throwing double bead indicator rigs and weighted streamers.
20221216_l66v.jpg
20221216_l66hfr.jpg
Forgot to roll the loop on a new leader in my fingers and it froze open.
20221216_icedopen.jpg
Have to admit I had an identity crisis leaving the house.
20221216_identitycrisis.jpg