Bread Thread

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Sourdough or commercial yeast?
Red Star active dry yeast, I suppose that's "commercial" -

At the start of the Covid pandemic I start making no-knead bread in our enameled Dutch oven. For the most part, the bread was good (3 cups KA flour, 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoon salt, one cup warm water, a teaspoon or so of sugar and a teaspoon of the above yeast (volume mixing, not weight). Mix it all together, let it rest overnight, in the morning, fold it twice, let it rise and bake. I have no sourdough starter. I remember several months (a year?) @iveofione mentioned stretch and fold as a technique he was using....

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Red Star active dry yeast, I suppose that's "commercial" -

At the start of the Covid pandemic I start making no-knead bread in our enameled Dutch oven. For the most part, the bread was good (3 cups KA flour, 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoon salt, one cup warm water, a teaspoon or so of sugar and a teaspoon of the above yeast (volume mixing, not weight). Mix it all together, let it rest overnight, in the morning, fold it twice, let it rise and bake. I have no sourdough starter. I remember several months (a year?) @iveofione mentioned stretch and fold as a technique he was using....
I like this description of the technique, pictures and video.
You can use it with pretty much any country style loaf, regardless of recipe, to build gluten strength instead of kneading.

I know if your bread method, but have never tried it.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I like this description of the technique, pictures and video.
You can use it with pretty much any country style loaf, regardless of recipe, to build gluten strength instead of kneading.

I know if your bread method, but have never tried it.
Thanks Gary!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Pizza is my daughters birthday tradition. Every year on her birthday I make pizza for her and her (and our friends). This will be her 6th pizza birthday party (we threw a party for for birthday a week after she was born where I cooked for 30).

Tomorrows going to be a bit smaller, i made 12 doughs for tomorrow. Can’t believe my kid is going to be 5 :cry:.

I’ll post the the dough after the cold ferment as well as some finished pies.
950BB07E-C5F9-4C25-81A2-3ACAD35008AC.jpeg
9511B49D-D508-4702-8BF5-53A2FEFB080C.jpeg
C1941FDB-8A16-4625-893F-F01A2D63DAD3.jpeg

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
How’d I miss those morning buns?! Recipe? That’s my kinda breakfast.
My wife saw something on Instagram showing some lemon poppyseed buns but there was no recipe so I combined a couple of things. It's not quite right, I have some work to do to get it exactly how I want.
I made the dough from this: I underprooved a bit and it got a bit too warm during rolling
The filling and icing from here: filling needs poppyseed and has too much butter and needs some flour to make it closer to the filling from above. Icing/glaze needs as much lemon juice as it can handle before getting too thin.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
My wife saw something on Instagram showing some lemon poppyseed buns but there was no recipe so I combined a couple of things. It's not quite right, I have some work to do to get it exactly how I want.
I made the dough from this: I underprooved a bit and it got a bit too warm during rolling
The filling and icing from here: filling needs poppyseed and has too much butter and needs some flour to make it closer to the filling from above. Icing/glaze needs as much lemon juice as it can handle before getting too thin.
Ha, I’ve made maurizio’s cinnamon rolls a few times.

Also noting I finally finished my 100lbs of glacier peak/1109. It lasted me a little over a year and I noticed zero loss of flavor or strength in that time. I keep it in a relatively cool basement. Hoping cairnsprings sends through a promo I need flour asap.

Bagman

Steelhead
Does anyone know how to make a good bagel? I can’t find one that I like around me on the north Kipsap peninsula?

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I appreciate this thread.

I love breads.
I have lost about 14 lbs since removing breads and some other carbs from my diet.

I look at this thread and the ice cream aisle while shopping.....and walk away with no more belly fat.
A lil heartache....but then life isn't fair.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I spent my morning baking bread and writing lesson plans/materials for the week. Pop a loaf in the Challenger, work for 20 minutes, transfer the log to the oven rack and add a new loaf. Repeat 4x. I find it to be a pretty good way to utilize my Sunday morning, knowing I have to work regardless.

Batards are fresh oregano, lemon zest, castelvetrano olives. Mostly glacier peak flour with some white rye, Edison, and Skagit 1009 added.

Boules are mostly glacier peak with about 15% khorasan and 5% Skagit 1109.

IMG20230507114946.jpgIMG20230507115033.jpgIMG20230507123730.jpg

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
The thyme and oregano in my garden are exploding and I needed to use some up. Luckily this coincided with me finishing the last of my za'atar recently. I made up a big batch by my standards, a full pint of seasoning.

First thing I did was throw "a bunch" in a loaf of sourdough. I didn't even pretend to measure, but I added what I thought was enough then added 50% more. If I had to guess, probably 1/3 cup. The sumac could have been bumped up, but all the other spices are bang on and it makes a damn fine loaf of bread. Toast tomorrow morning is gonna rock!
IMG20230530180811.jpgIMG20230530180827.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
The thyme and oregano in my garden are exploding and I needed to use some up. Luckily this coincided with me finishing the last of my za'atar recently. I made up a big batch by my standards, a full pint of seasoning.

First thing I did was throw "a bunch" in a loaf of sourdough. I didn't even pretend to measure, but I added what I thought was enough then added 50% more. If I had to guess, probably 1/3 cup. The sumac could have been bumped up, but all the other spices are bang on and it makes a damn fine loaf of bread. Toast tomorrow morning is gonna rock!
View attachment 67094View attachment 67095
Never thought to do this. Looks like it’s on my list for next week