Bread Thread

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Being newly retired this thread got me started baking artisan bread. So I decided to make my mom's cinammon rolls. Found the recipe and began. I had never had store bought, sliced, bread until the mid 60's because mom baked every week. So this recipe was from that time Era.
The recipe called for 1oz of yeast softened in 1/4 cup warm water. Sounded like a lot since bread only takes 1/4 teaspoon. I followed the directions, and got a big brown blob. After the first batch, i did some research. I believe mom was using fresh cake yeast vs active dry yeast.View attachment 58770 Moral, be careful using dated recipes in modern times.
Those look good, so what's the recipe? 😬

klq@stl

Steelhead
Mom's Cinammon Rolls
Dry-5 1/2 cups sifted flour
Wet-2 cups scalded milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
(1 oz cake)11 g. Act dry yeast
Proof in 1/4 cup warm H2o
1 egg beaten
Topping: 1 Cup brown sugar
3/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup butter
Pecans/walnuts
Filling: melted butter/sugar/ cinammon/raisins
1. Combine scald/Luke wrm milk, butter, sugar, salt, proofed yeast and beaten egg.
2. Blend dry into wet
3. Rise 2 1/2 hours/doubled
4. Divide dough into 2
5. Roll to 1/4"
Brush with butter, sugar, cinammon, raisins n roll.
6. Cut 2" slices into 9x11 pan with topping in bottom, grease sides of pans, bake @ 350 degrees 30 minutes.
Makes 24 rolls.

Attachments

• 20230321_190657.jpg
    20230321_190657.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Mom's Cinammon Rolls
Wet-2 cups scalded milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg beaten
3/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup butter
Pecans/walnuts
1. Combine scald/Luke wrm milk, butter, sugar, salt, proofed yeast and beaten egg.
2. Blend dry into wet
4. Divide dough into 2
5. Roll to 1/4"
6. Cut 2" slices into 9x11 pan with topping in bottom, grease sides of pans, bake @ 350 degrees 30 minutes.
Makes 24 rolls.
Those look damn tasty! I haven't made a sweet enriched dough for a while, I might have to do one this weekend, maybe a babka...

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Mom's Cinammon Rolls
Wet-2 cups scalded milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg beaten
3/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup butter
Pecans/walnuts
2. Blend dry into wet
4. Divide dough into 2
5. Roll to 1/4"
Makes 24 rolls.
Those look like my grandma's, more dense and chewy as opposed to fluffy and covered in cream cheese frosting.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
This little gluten strand tried it's best to prevent the ear from opening up
IMG20230326101928.jpg
These loaves are 15% white rye, 15% Edison white wheat, 70% glacier peak. I like the buttery, lightly nutty flavor the Edison brings combined with the sour, fruity white rye.
IMG20230326121238.jpg
IMG20230326121500.jpg

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I don't really bake beyond pizza crust and sandwich bread in my Zojirushi machine so I have zero to contribute to this thread other than my thanks for all the learning.

I'm pretty awestruck by what you guys are pulling out of your ovens.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I don't really bake beyond pizza crust and sandwich bread in my Zojirushi machine so I have zero to contribute to this thread other than my thanks for all the learning.

I'm pretty awestruck by what you guys are pulling out of your ovens.
Post that Zojirushi loaf! Their rice cookers are amazing, I imagine the bread machines are too.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
And their drip coffee maker is excellent as well!
And their travel coffee mugs with the one-handed spring lid. It's the only coffee mug that I will toss into a briefcase full of prayers with no worries.

Edit: papers! But a briefcase full of prayers might describe my work life pretty well...

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I wish I knew of a really good travel mug/thermos/whatever solution where I didn't have to put my mouth on plastic. I find that drinking out of a container where my lips are touching plastic somehow significantly diminishes my coffee-enjoying experience. This goes for whiskey, too. Whiskey and coffee should be in glass, ceramic, or stainless steel. </rant>

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah! Mixer pron
View attachment 58899
This things a beast. Heavy use daily, it's about 5 years old but the switch on the side is starting to wear out, sticks at certain speeds.
I have the same exact machine but now over 15 years old. Just excellent and a real workhorse.

Now that I am alone and have so much time I have started using the stretch and fold method rather than the mixer. If you haven't done it give it a try. The difference between the first stretch and the fourth is just amazing. The dough starts out rough and lumpy but by the time it is stretched 4 or 5 times it is as soft as a 16 year old's tittie!

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
And their travel coffee mugs with the one-handed spring lid. It's the only coffee mug that I will toss into a briefcase full of prayers with no worries.
Yes, we have a bunch of them and so do our friends as when I inevitably forget one, no one seems to have seen it...

• Haha
Reactions: Zak

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I have the same exact machine but now over 15 years old. Just excellent and a real workhorse.

Now that I am alone and have so much time I have started using the stretch and fold method rather than the mixer. If you haven't done it give it a try. The difference between the first stretch and the fourth is just amazing. The dough starts out rough and lumpy but by the time it is stretched 4 or 5 times it is as soft as a 16 year old's tittie!
I have never actually made bread in mine haha! It makes waffle batter, a lot of waffle batter.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

Ive - How about a little tutorial? A recipe you like, one that's easy? So many options on Youtube that it's hard to sort; do you have a link you might recommend? Thanks.

Ps. Hope the ice is melting - 29F in Ephrata this morning, brutal.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Ive - How about a little tutorial? A recipe you like, one that's easy? So many options on Youtube that it's hard to sort; do you have a link you might recommend? Thanks.

Ps. Hope the ice is melting - 29F in Ephrata this morning, brutal.
Sourdough or commercial yeast?