Boat registration in WA

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I’ve done some reading and googling, but haven’t found a good answer to my conundrum - hoping the great minds of PNWFF might have some answers.

I got a sweetheart deal on a used 16’ driftboat and it’s now sitting in my garage. Here’s the chain of events that leads to my issue.

1. My friend’s brother bought it, either new or used, and had it registered and titled in his name. In OR, not WA.
2. My friend bought it off his brother, but never changed the title. Still in OR.
3. My friend’s friend bought it off him, still no title change, still OR.
4. I bought it off this friend’s friend.

So now I (a WA resident) have the boat and an OR title from 2 owners back.

Any suggestions on how to proceed with transferring the title given the uh, informal chain of ownership? Do I have to get all three previous owners involved, or can I just have the guy on the title (who is also a friend and I’m sure would oblige) “sell” me the boat for $1 or something, with corresponding proof of sale paperwork?

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
So you actually have the title in hand, it just still shows the first guy as the owner. Did he sign the "release interest" line on the title when he sold it to the first friend?

If he signed the "releases interest" line on the title when he sold it to the first guy (he should have, that's like the most important part of the sale) then you are good to go and can take it to be titled in your name.

If not, then yeah maybe you can contact him and ask him to sign over the title to you. He should have no problem doing so, since in his mind he sold it 3 people ago.

Or maybe I'm missing something.

NRC

Forum Supporter
So you actually have the title in hand, it just still shows the first guy as the owner. Did he sign the "release interest" line on the title when he sold it to the first friend?

If he signed the "releases interest" line on the title when he sold it to the first guy (he should have, that's like the most important part of the sale) then you are good to go and can take it to be titled in your name.

If not, then yeah maybe you can contact him and ask him to sign over the title to you. He should have no problem doing so, since in his mind he sold it 3 people ago.

Or maybe I'm missing something.
Thank you! You’re not missing any information other than knowledge of how little I know, haha. He did sign the release of interest line - I simply hadn’t read the title close enough to realize that’s what the signature was for.

Case closed then! Now I just have to get the title transferred and learn to launch a boat.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Thank you! You’re not missing any information other than knowledge of how little I know, haha. He did sign the release of interest line - I simply hadn’t read the title close enough to realize that’s what the signature was for.

Case closed then! Now I just have to get the title transferred and learn to launch a boat.

And pay Washington taxes on it. 😥

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
If it has a trailer that needs WA. plates you'll be in for another hassle. You'll need an inspection from the state hwy patrol before they'll allow it to be legal..

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
If it has a trailer that needs WA. plates you'll be in for another hassle. You'll need an inspection from the state hwy patrol before they'll allow it to be legal..
Yeah that can be a big pain. But I thought if the trailer already has a vin and Mfg info that could get you around the inspection. I know if you build a trailer from scratch it has to be inspected so they can generate a VIN and title.

Or is OR one of those states that doesn’t issue titles for trailers? So you’d be back to having to get an inspection. Maybe.

When I was looking into this for a potential home built trailer it sure seemed like the state of WA had really curtailed the available inspection services due to COVID. There was like only one place in the county that would do them and they were only open from noon to 1pm two days a week (I’m exaggerating but it seemed ridiculous). Hope you don’t have to go through that rigmarole.

Good luck!

Zak

Legend
I brought my trailer out from VT and just switched the registration/plates/tags to WA, no inspection.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I brought my trailer out from VT and just switched the registration/plates/tags to WA, no inspection.
Did you have a VT title in hand, and if so did they re-issue you a WA title for it?

I know some states don’t issue titles for trailers, I’m wondering if that’s what might drive the requirement for an inspection.

Reactions: Zak

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Zak

Legend
Did you have a VT title in hand, and if so did they re-issue you a WA title for it?

I know some states don’t issue titles for trailers, I’m wondering if that’s what might drive the requirement for an inspection.
Yes, I had title and tags from VT. I went into Beverly's Auto Licensing, paid a reasonable fee, and that was it.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
From the Oregon DOT website:
Light trailers have a loaded weight of 8,000 pounds or less, except trailers for hire (for-rent), travel trailers, fixed loads and special use trailers. You do not have to title or register trailers with a loaded weight of 1,800 pounds or less.

Very interesting indeed; this clears up a few things and muddies the water at the same time! ;-)

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I bought a raft and trailer from Oregon several years ago. It was not a licensed trailer and had no VIN so I had to get it inspected at WSP office. I then went to private auto licensing place with my bill of sale, which did not list the trailer separately. She was like, "how much of that price is for the trailer?" and so I got to pick how much of the total purchase price I was paying sales tax on.

Skol_Engh

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Dang you got a drift boat?! Let’s see a pic! I'm in WA for tgivs maybe we could get a float in...

Reactions: NRC

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Make sure you get your Appt for inspection ASAP which may be long wait my friend had to go to two different to get his trailer done.

NRC

Forum Supporter
Dang you got a drift boat?! Let’s see a pic! I'm in WA for tgivs maybe we could get a float in...
image.jpg
She’s got some dings and she’s full of junk from me rearranging the garage, but she’s a boat.

I’m down in the ‘couv for thanksgiving but possibly around on Sunday. Let me do some information gathering and politicking.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
View attachment 88536
She’s got some dings and she’s full of junk from me rearranging the garage, but she’s a boat.

I’m down in the ‘couv for thanksgiving but possibly around on Sunday. Let me do some information gathering and politicking.
Looks like a solid boat. I row a 1985 Clack, recently refurbished. Sometimes the seasoned ones are better...

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I recently went through the same process of getting a trailer and boat registered from OR into WA. I agree with making an apt early. They release all the appointments on the same day at the same time (I cannot remember the day, I think its tues).
  1. You setup the apt for a trailer inspection
  2. Get the paperwork including a special trip permit from the DOL
  3. Have the trailer inspected and have a serial number stamped
  4. Pay the fees/taxes
  5. Get the license plate issued, but have to wait 3 years for a title on the trailer (you'll receive a provisional one in the meantime)
The part where I was/am a little confused is I received mixed information on the boat title. If you operate without a motor and in non-federally regulated waters, I was told you do not need the title for the boat. I went in to get it signed over to me and was told I needed to pay for a watercraft valuation. Then some life stuff came up and I stopped there. I need to figure that part out next.

Good looking boat, you'll enjoy it!

NRC

Forum Supporter
I recently went through the same process of getting a trailer and boat registered from OR into WA. I agree with making an apt early. They release all the appointments on the same day at the same time (I cannot remember the day, I think its tues).
  1. You setup the apt for a trailer inspection
  2. Get the paperwork including a special trip permit from the DOL
  3. Have the trailer inspected and have a serial number stamped
  4. Pay the fees/taxes
  5. Get the license plate issued, but have to wait 3 years for a title on the trailer (you'll receive a provisional one in the meantime)
The part where I was/am a little confused is I received mixed information on the boat title. If you operate without a motor and in non-federally regulated waters, I was told you do not need the title for the boat. I went in to get it signed over to me and was told I needed to pay for a watercraft valuation. Then some life stuff came up and I stopped there. I need to figure that part out next.

Good looking boat, you'll enjoy it!
Thanks, great info.

Did you need to remove your boat from the trailer to take it in, or can they inspect to their satisfaction with the boat sitting on top?