Boat for bass....and maybe inshore salt?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
You ever see a livinston cat.

Not gonna win any races, not super blingy, but durable, versatile, stable and with a cult following.

Off the hook boat works makes real cool accessories...

One of those smaller whalers looks like it may fit the bill as well.

Arima sea pacer has more casting space (bow access) but still doesnt have the deck like a bass boat. Comes in a 17' variety. Very versatile and stable. Plenty capable for inshore and some more froggy times too. Good on gas as well.

@Nick Clayton - any issues with the low freeboard on the ranger? When do you call it a day inshore? I imagine a bit of wash over the gunnel if it gets a little snotty... but have no real experince with a ranger other than lakes and delta.

Haven't had it out on a day where that was an issue yet, so I can't really say. Ive had it in maybe 2' of chop at max so far, and it hasn't been close to an issue. Naturally I try to avoid those real nasty days but inevitably it will come along unforecasted one of these days and I'll get to find out.

Honestly though I'm not real worried about it. This thing was built for Inshore salt, so while at first glance I understand the thought, it's nowhere near as susceptible as it may appear.

One of these days I plan to just go dunk it locally during a snotty day and really test its limits, just out of curiosity.

The areas I fish the bulk of the time are quite protected for the most part. When it comes to bad water it's usually a case of being able to get to and from. While fishing those sort of conditions aren't generally a factor. So far I have had zero issue running in chop, though again I've yet to have it out in anything more than maybe 2'.

Guiding wise I just dont usually go on those nastier days, as it's just not a lot of fun for most people. I have been known to grab @Irafly or other adventure minded buds and head out on some of those nasty days and have had some really fun times. I tend to be willing to go on days when many others won't though, so maybe I'm just a little sick.

headduck

Steelhead
Haven't had it out on a day where that was an issue yet, so I can't really say. Ive had it in maybe 2' of chop at max so far, and it hasn't been close to an issue. Naturally I try to avoid those real nasty days but inevitably it will come along unforecasted one of these days and I'll get to find out.

Honestly though I'm not real worried about it. This thing was built for Inshore salt, so while at first glance I understand the thought, it's nowhere near as susceptible as it may appear.

One of these days I plan to just go dunk it locally during a snotty day and really test its limits, just out of curiosity.

The areas I fish the bulk of the time are quite protected for the most part. When it comes to bad water it's usually a case of being able to get to and from. While fishing those sort of conditions aren't generally a factor. So far I have had zero issue running in chop, though again I've yet to have it out in anything more than maybe 2'.

Guiding wise I just dont usually go on those nastier days, as it's just not a lot of fun for most people. I have been known to grab @Irafly or other adventure minded buds and head out on some of those nasty days and have had some really fun times. I tend to be willing to go on days when many others won't though, so maybe I'm just a little sick.
Guess my pops was always concerned about scooting at 60mph to the next hole.... not wind waves or chop. Your boat does look quite stout and purpose built for your style of fishing.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Guess my pops was always concerned about scooting at 60mph to the next hole.... not wind waves or chop. Your boat does look quite stout and purpose built for your style of fishing.

This boat is definitely stout, I have no concerns there.

My gut tells me that in some seriously sloppy conditions my Triumph would handle that water a little better than the Ranger. That boat was amazingly able for a 17' boat.

I gave that concept plenty of thought prior to purchase and ultimately decided that the benefits the Ranger provided as a fishing platform, when 90% of my time out would be on decent water, would outweigh the advantages of a hull better suited for handling the nasty stuff considering how rarely I am ever out on those days.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A couple of years ago, on the "other" site, Prickly Claire posted a trip report about a fishing trip to Beaufort SC for seatrout and redfish. I started looking into the inshore fishing in that area, and it looked pretty fun. I noted that most guides and fishers generally seemed to use flats skiffs like you might see looking for bonefish, but without the poling platforms. Boston Whaler-looking boats seemed to be popular down there, too. Not knowing much about the boats I haven't personally owned, which were all runabout-types, I wonder if the two types I mentioned above might suite the purpose?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
A couple of years ago, on the "other" site, Prickly Claire posted a trip report about a fishing trip to Beaufort SC for seatrout and redfish. I started looking into the inshore fishing in that area, and it looked pretty fun. I noted that most guides and fishers generally seemed to use flats skiffs like you might see looking for bonefish, but without the poling platforms. Boston Whaler-looking boats seemed to be popular down there, too. Not knowing much about the boats I haven't personally owned, which were all runabout-types, I wonder if the two types I mentioned above might suite the purpose?

For that type of fishing they do down there they do have some different and specific needs from a boat that aren't really needed up here.

Specifically, being able to get into super shallow water. I fish a lot of shallow water, often floating around less than 3' of water. The difference is I'm not running in that same shallow water to get to these fishing locations. Out here it's generally running in deep, much more open water to then get in tight to the beach in shallow areas. So a flat bottomed boat with a jack plate that can run on step in 18" of water isn't needed.

The biggest disadvantage of those boats is that they don't generally do well in a couple feet of chop. They'll knock your teeth out in much of the water conditions we have to face out here.

Still, I think those types of boats are more applicable for sound fishing than many give credit for. Depending on where you plan to fish of course, and what type of fishing you will be doing in the sound (fishing the beaches for src in the south sound or even hood canal is vastly different than trolling the open waters of the north sound with downriggers) they could still be very useful.

If my use was going to be specifically bass fishing on lakes with a bit of time here and there drifting the beaches of the south sound or canal, I could definitely make a boat like that work well. As a fishing platform for fishing that requires casting, either fly or gear, they make an amazing platform. For open water Salmon fishing in the bigger waters of the north sound I doubt I would go that route.

IMO people make a way bigger deal of water conditions on the sound than needed, but I also get the impression many of these people spend the bulk of their time on the north sound where water conditions are a much different animal than down south. By being smart and watching the weather religiously I've never found myself in any conditions Id consider dangerous on the south sound. The absolute worst, unexpected conditions I've ever been in were still quite mild compared to what someone could encounter fishing in the middle of area 9. Another factor of these smaller, easy to handle boats is that if you understand their limitations, and aren't fishing 2 miles out into the middle of big water, you can almost always hug the shore to get back just fine and absolutely worst case scenario it's not the end of the world to just drag the boat up on a beach and wait it out.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I think the most important thing to do for making a decision about a boat is deciding what you really will want to do with it, and then going from there. And be honest with that. You mentioned some Salmon fishing....does this mean casting towards the shore for coho or pinks, or would you like to be able to put on downriggers and actually troll the open water? Those two things require different things from a boat. A more bass oriented hull could easily do some near shore salmon fishing, but would be limited for open water Salmon trolling which would require looking at different hulls.

Years ago I was given the advice that when boat shopping it's best to identify what you will use the boat for 80% of the time, and focus on a boat that will fit those needs. For the other 20%, either do what ya gotta do to make that boat work, go with friends/charter, or just don't do em at all. That advice has long stuck with me and really proven itself over the years. I think if someone focuses too much on a boat that will do every single thing they will often end up with a boat that doesn't do anything very well, and that kinda sucks.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
You mentioned some Salmon fishing....does this mean casting towards the shore for coho or pinks, or would you like to be able to put on downriggers and actually troll the open water?
In my case, mostly the former. Downrigger fishing isn't too thrilling for me. That said, it's good to understand what the differences are in requirement. Helps me understand and helps anyone finding the thread down the road.

Years ago I was given the advice that when boat shopping it's best to identify what you will use the boat for 80% of the time, and focus on a boat that will fit those needs. For the other 20%, either do what ya gotta do to make that boat work, go with friends/charter, or just don't do em at all.
That is excellent advice, and for me, it would be bass in lakes.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
In my case, mostly the former. Downrigger fishing isn't too thrilling for me. That said, it's good to understand what the differences are in requirement. Helps me understand and

I'm with ya, downrigger fishing is pretty far down my list of most enjoyable ways to fish. But it's what a lot of people mean when they say they want to be able to do some Salmon fishing.

If a person is motivated they can install downriggers on just about any boat. I think, IMO at least, the biggest thing to consider boat wise is that when DR fishing in the north sound you're often going to be fishing bigger, open water without the protection of shore. In that water you're more likely to encounter nastier conditions when the wind kicks up, as well as bigger impacts from passing larger commercial traffic. Those car transporter ships can create walls of water that can be pretty scary in smaller boats, especially if you're caught off guard. For that kind of fishing I'd want a hull with a deeper V, as well as more freeboard to better handle that kind of water and be more comfortable in it. The problem is that type of hull is going to be less enjoyable to bass fish from in many ways. The more of a V a hull has, the less likely it will be super stable on drift. By that I mean when you are just posted up, casting while bass fishing, the boat is going to have a significant amount of rock to it as you move around in the boat. That's why flatter bottomed vessels are generally preferred for that type of fishing. You can move around in the boat while casting and fishing without being concerned that the boat is going to lean over and cause issues.

All boats are a compromise, it's crucial to come to terms with that. A boat that does one thing very well is going to sacrifice in its ability to do other things well. That's not to say that you can't make a boat designed to do one thing do other things as well, but there's a trade off. Stability is often the trade off for a boat designed to handle sloppy water. There's some exceptions of course, this is just in a general sense.

Personally I wouldn't have any issue taking a true bass boat out onto the sound on a good day with the intention of fishing the beaches for src or salmon, but others wouldn't. That comes down to personal experience, comfort level etc.

The more I think about it, if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking hard at one of the modified V aluminum options. Something like an Xpress, G3 etc. The problem would be finding one. Your budget allows for plenty of options, but that style of boat just isn't super popular around here. Sooooo many more options back east. That style of boat is pretty niche and not common in this area.

An aluminum bay boat would be a great option for you but again, just don't see many of them up here. There's some incredible boats found around the country that would fit your needs, but don't see them up here much. I absolutely lucked out with my Ranger. It's a very niche boat, especially for this area, but I can't begin to tell you how much I love that boat.

My best advice would be to focus on what would be ideal for your bass fishing, then decide how to make that boat work for a bit of sound fishing here or there.

If you ever want to meet up on a bass lake let me know. You can show me a thing or two about bass fishing, and spend a day on my boat and get a sense of what you like/dislike about that style. :)

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I'll also add that a 17 Whaler would probably check a lot of your boxes but personally I'd avoid the smaller ones. I think you'd come away disappointed in a lot of ways.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
1645478419047.jpeg
1645478477474.jpegI sold my Montauk 150 (15’) last fall. It was a great boat for the lakes and the Sound, but I was so consumed with a lot of other stuff going on that I wasn’t using it enough to justify keeping it.
It rode great in heavy chop and had a shallow draft as well for getting in close to the beach. It was heavy enough to be quite stable but not so heavy that it wasn’t a burden to launch on my own. Fit in the garage too with folding trailer tongue.

When I bought it used a few years back, these boats (if you could find one - I travelled to get this one) they were priced in your range. Like everything else they’ve gone up but if you’re patient and willing to travel some, you might find something like this available. This one had a bow mount fresh water version electric that locked in and held you in a spot. I never used it because I was usually in saltwater and didn want to ruin it. Nick praises this feature on his boat but he has the salt version. It would be close to perfect for your described use.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
If it's bass fishing most the time then I would second Nick's advice on going with the a G3 style boat. They have a casting platform and a well for the bow mount foot controls. My buddy had a 18' with and SC and a jet. I was out in Skagit Bay and Saratoga and never felt like we didn't have enough boat. One time was a small craft advisory. We got soaked and the piss beat out of us but it didn't feel dangerous.

headduck

Steelhead
Downrigger fishing... used to hate it... then I put a bunch of hours in and it became challenging (as opposed to frustrating) and enjoyable. But I still understand how many might find it lame....

A modified v center console is a nice option too. Lots of fishing room. Decent drift.

As mentioned with whaler, traveling to different markets can unlock other options.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Excellent info,Nick. Thank you!

Agreed. I also neglected to mention that I'm not willing to go with a 2-stroke due to some 4-stroke requirements we have up here on a couple of the best lakes.
16' minimum 18' preferred modified v hull. 4 stroke outboard, casting deck up front with bow mount 24 volt foot control or remote controlled trolling motor. It can be a do anything in shore salt, lake trolling, big river fishing boat. Mount a kicker for insurance and trolling Baker lake for sockeye.
Let's go out bass fishing in my boat in a couple weeks to that well known bass lake out by Ferndale.
I have to lay low for two weeks following a medical procedure last Friday but after that it's go time.
Nick spelled it out very well.

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
Josh
If I understood you correctly, this boat is for bass and nearshore Searun fishing.

I bought a 15’ Modified V for searun cutthroat and large lakes. I’ve taken it out nearshore and it runs okay but it’s still a Jon boat. Mine is 46” floor, and I’d go with 48”, or a 1650. The 46” is okay on lakes and I can walk all over for casting. Great for two adults in a lake.

I like the Klamath but recommend getting a boat with drop deck and flat floor to avoid the ribs. Building a floor in your new boat is not necessary!

If you want more of a Searun/coho boat I recommend you consider the 17’ Scout CC. Pretty sweet and with a bow mount electric, you’d be able to fish bass I’d think. But they start to get up in price and difficult to find used.634A3DF6-BDD1-45E0-AD4C-3041F883A37B.jpeg

After I bought this used boat I repowered with a 25hp Yamaha. Would be great to add a big screen sonar/gps and bow-mount electric.

I covered the drop deck in sea-dek & it’s nice add.

I like running a tiller but a side console would be great if the boat had more beam.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I really like my Lund Rebel XL for Sound and freshwater.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Take a look at Klamath Boats, they have some options that might fit your needs. https://klamathboats.com

I purchased my 15'2 last summer from Coos Bay Marine in Coos Bay, but they also have a dealer in WA. And, I believe they have a new dealer in Portland, also.

Well built, welded aluminum modified V-bottom.

If you see anything of interest and would like to connect with the Coos Bay dealer, let me know and I'd be happy to introduce you to the owner. I'm a very satisfied customer, but no other affiliation.

Cheers,

Bryan
Bryan, thank you for that link. We went to the Seattle Boat Show and these guys weren't there , but i think we might be making a trip to Belfair soon.

Bryan

Just Hatched
Bryan, thank you for that link. We went to the Seattle Boat Show and these guys weren't there , but i think we might be making a trip to Belfair soon.
Happy to answer any questions you may have about my Klamath 15'2 Advantage S. It has a center walk-thru, which I really like. Yet, you can also easily slip on the aluminum "rowing bridge" which spans the center walk-thru between the two split center seats so you can row from the center seat if desired. It works really well, and is very easy to do. I carry the aluminum "rowing bridge" with me in the boat at all times, stowed neatly out of the way.

BTW, my Klamath 15'2 Advantage S has a full floor installed at the factory as a "standard" feature. The boat weighs only 340 lbs.

We purchased a new Klamath 14'3 "Westcoaster" in the summer of 2020 (also from Coos Bay Marine), but decided we wanted a bit more length and beam, so we sold that one and stepped up to the 15'2. Otherwise, the "Westcoaster" was a great boat too.

Cheers,

Bryan

Last edited: