Blob Flies!

onefish

Steelhead
1709946967963.jpeg
For deeply hooked fish these work great ( ketchum release tool ). Slide the line in the slot, slide tool down to the hook, push on the hook then pull out. I took out a power bait/ worm hook out of a fish I caught on a chironomid the other day where all I could see was the eye of the hook sticking out of its throat.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
View attachment 106181
For deeply hooked fish these work great ( ketchum release tool ). Slide the line in the slot, slide tool down to the hook, push on the hook then pull out. I took out a power bait/ worm hook out of a fish I caught on a chironomid the other day where all I could see was the eye of the hook sticking out of its throat.
Maybe I need a larger size but hard to use with bead head flies.

onefish

Steelhead
Maybe I need a larger size but hard to use with bead head flies.
You must have very large beads. My blobs are tied with 7/64 or 1/8 beads and the small size ketchum release tool works just fine. I have removed blobs where all I can see is the bead when looking down the throat of the fish.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I was talking about using it on all flies in general. Mine fits over 1/8 beads, but nothing bigger like 5/32. And won’t work on boobies. Or balanced leeches. Or most foam flies.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I used to fish blob flies. Since I am a CnR guy I quit. Too many were very deep in the fish to allow easy removal. If I am meat fishing they are fine to use.

Just the way I roll...
Its interesting that this is such a common experience for you all. Are you guys fishing these slowly? I have only fished a few days with boobys, but the people I was with were stripping them super super fast, so I did that too. Never had any problem throat hooking fish.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Its interesting that this is such a common experience for you all. Are you guys fishing these slowly? I have only fished a few days with boobys, but the people I was with were stripping them super super fast, so I did that too. Never had any problem throat hooking fish.
Most people I know fish blobs under a bobber.
Booby flies are stripped on a sinking line to take advantage of their buoyancy. Basically the opposite of bead/jig/lead head flies.
The commonality is the colors to represent blobs of daphnia. Or just something bright to get the fish excited.
I often troll and/or strip a Borden Special on a S3 or S6 line to pick up winter fish. It has the same colors as some of the blobs & boobies. Or PowerBait. :p

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I've fished boobies and blobs quite a bit in recent years with considerable success...the boobies on a faster sinking line on the bottom, and the blobs mostly fished cast and retrieve with no indicator. I think I miss far more strikes on the boobies because the 'hinge' action on the line versus the buoyant fly pulling the leader up sort of delays my detection and timely response. Certainly work great in weedy substrates.

I'd heard about the alleged problem with fish deep-throating boobies and blobs, but really haven't experienced that phenomena for these patterns. I only C&R, and my normal practice for any fly taken deep is to snip the tippet if it doesn't look like an easy fast grab with forceps. I also tend to tie mainly on hooks that are mfg barbless, since it's pretty obvious (to me anyway) that even pinched down barbs still provide more of an impediment to easy hook extraction. Nothing good is happening to a trout while you're holding it and spending time digging around in its mouth for a hook.

I don't give a shit about losing flies...to fish or to fishing in heavy cover. Hell, I'm quite happy with an LDR, especially after getting a look at it in the water. Makes it easier to lie about its size as well!

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Jig hooks?
I mixed it up. Top and bottom rows have two on jigs, two on a wide gap scud-ish hook with a tungsten bead, and two unweighted. Other rows have some combination of the same (determined by what beads I had on hand).