Birch Bark Grip

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
(Thought we had a rod building section, but couldn't find it...so posting here)

This grip idea has been in the back of my mind for a while...finally got around to putting it together.. birch bark with wave/burnt cork accents. I'm happy with the result. Not sure what blank I'll put it on...might look good on yellow glass. (just slid onto blank for pic)

birch bark grip 2.jpg

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
(Thought we had a rod building section, but couldn't find it...so posting here)

This grip idea has been in the back of my mind for a while...finally got around to putting it together.. birch bark with wave/burnt cork accents. I'm happy with the result. Not sure what blank I'll put it on...might look good on yellow glass. (just slid onto blank for pic)

View attachment 55391
Got an old school look… 😉

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I tend to not look too closely at the cork grips on my daily fly rods (filler seems to go missing quickly), that rod grip is beautiful and would make anyone proud to have.

Pez Vela

Steelhead
I did one a few years back... reel pretty, but found the bark hard to work with. (easy to break while reaming it to size) Think there's nearly 100 pieces on this one, and a bunch of Titebond III. I got the bark from Russia (don't ask why) .. and took about 3 months to arrive. I just used a little Tru-oil for the finish..
IMG_4798.jpegIMG_4821.jpegIMG_5049.jpeg

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I did one a few years back... reel pretty, but found the bark hard to work with. (easy to break while reaming it to size) Think there's nearly 100 pieces on this one, and a bunch of Titebond III. I got the bark from Russia (don't ask why) .. and took about 3 months to arrive. I just used a little Tru-oil for the finish..
View attachment 55578View attachment 55579View attachment 55580
Yes, bb is much harder than cork.I use a Stanley sur-form to rough out grip shape, then sandpaper to bring to final shape.I pre-drilled each piece to fit on a 3/8" mandrill so that I wouldn't need to ream. Likely larger than blank I'll go with, but much easier to build up difference than to ream.

Divad

Whitefish
For what it’s worth the [Rod Building] tag is available in the gear section. I had troubles finding it too.

Beautiful grip, does it hold a wet hand?

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Have doneFor what it’s worth the [Rod Building] tag is available in the gear section. I had troubles finding it too.

Beautiful grip, does it hold a wet hand?
Have done dozens of spey rods with spar varnish on the grip...never had a problem with slipping.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I had some more ideas I wanted to try, so Just finished a few more...different combinations, including fir bark rings at bottom.

View attachment 61178
Beautiful! It's funny, I just pulled one of my rods out of the carry tube to clean the fly line and was looking at the cork - most of the filler has fallen out over the past couple years; certainly not pretty. Amazing stuff you're creating.