Big Island & Oahu

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Been on the Big Island a week but broke my fly rod out for the first time today. Caught two Moana I believe. No pics because I accidentally left my phone behind early. I have caught those before so pretty sure that is what they were.

Also, two of these…no idea…Hawkfish??

F8B48252-BC60-49C5-8163-AE744B144BD2.jpeg
And one of these…a different goatfish species?

C293361B-B8C7-46E0-A1D1-D343A1D07722.jpeg

I love casting and catching random stuff I have never caught before.

Scenery is not bad either.

0CBA12D6-0476-4192-805C-7EE3822212D0.jpeg

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Been on the Big Island a week but broke my fly rod out for the first time today. Caught two Moana I believe. No pics because I accidentally left my phone behind early. I have caught those before so pretty sure that is what they were.

Also, two of these…no idea…Hawkfish??

View attachment 43065
And one of these…a different goatfish species?

View attachment 43066

I love casting and catching random stuff I have never caught before.

Scenery is not bad either.

View attachment 43067
Yes…po’opa’a…hawkfish…and a nice moano u’kali (the goatfish…one of my favorite s steamed)

Tallguy

Steelhead
Don't know the Hawaiian names.
Stocky hawkfish and blue goatfish. When seen hunting, blue goatfish often hang around hunting with moray eels and bluefin trevally. Strip faster if you think the trevally are around.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Don't know the Hawaiian names.
Stocky hawkfish and blue goatfish. When seen hunting, blue goatfish often hang around hunting with moray eels and bluefin trevally. Strip faster if you think the trevally are around.
Many times I’ve seen omilu teamed up with the moano u’kali…

SJE

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Hi guys, I am on a trip to the Big Island for the first time, brought an 8 and 9 weight with me, tropical lines and a variety of salt water flies. I have looked but not found any local guides. Do any of you know someone that offers guide trips? I have fished with guides on Maui and Kauai, but not sure if there is someone here. Thanks for any advice! Steve

smc

Guppy Chow
Hi guys, I am on a trip to the Big Island for the first time, brought an 8 and 9 weight with me, tropical lines and a variety of salt water flies. I have looked but not found any local guides. Do any of you know someone that offers guide trips? I have fished with guides on Maui and Kauai, but not sure if there is someone here. Thanks for any advice! Steve

SJE

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Thanks I will check them out and provide a report if I fish with them.

Reactions: smc