Big Island & Oahu

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Do you know if fishing is allowed at Lapakahi Historical Park just down the road? It looks like there's some good deeper water close to shore. It was once a fishing village after all. I was there last year but was with a group that was there for site-seeing so I didn't bring my gear.

My hunch is it's probably technically legal but I don't know if the locals would take offense at recreating at a historical or sacred site like that.

Good luck! Where are you staying on the big island?

Andy

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Do you know if fishing is allowed at Lapakahi Historical Park just down the road? It looks like there's some good deeper water close to shore. It was once a fishing village after all. I was there last year but was with a group that was there for site-seeing so I didn't bring my gear.

My hunch is it's probably technically legal but I don't know if the locals would take offense at recreating at a historical or sacred site like that.

Good luck! Where are you staying on the big island?

Andy
I’ve been there before, but never fished…Ive lived on Oahu for 41 years & Molokai 2 years, but I’m not FBI…From Big Island.

Perhaps Mems could reply…

mems

Steelhead
Lapakahi is off limits to fishing. Snorkeling there is great tons of fish. High tides early in the morning this week but lots of bones around, at the North Kona spots.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
They have a pretty good website and blog, though it doesn't get updated as often as I wished. But I've gotten some tying info and patterns for my trips. Never been to the shop though.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Sooo…Makani texted me today…he is sick (hopefully only a cold), so cancelled tomorrow….but was gracious to give me some detailed info on where to fish. As I was driving in Kaimuki, decided to stop by my calabash auntie & uncle’s house to talk story…and my godson that I haven’t seen in almost 8 years was visiting from OR…I’m going to teach him how to fly fish tomorrow on the flats (well actually he’s going to carry my gear and spare rod in his pack)…

Mingo

Life of the Party
Oahu can be tough....sometimes it feels like the entire population of Honolulu is walking those flats with you!