Best 5wt Setup Recos?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
The OP said that casting his current 6wt can make his shoulder ache yet most of the replies - except for the Ion XL - have been for fast-action rods that require more speed/power to cast effectively, where a softer rod should reduce the strain.

Is there something about Washington beaches I'm not understanding that make a fast-action rod cast differently than casting itinto a river or a lake?

(I agree that a session with a casting instructor might identify a problem. It worked for my achy shoulder.)
A faster rod can in many cases reduces the number of false casts—especially when paired with a proper beach line--needed to send line a good distance. In my experience, false casts when beach casting are largely unnecessary and often cause problems. I don't want to carry a ton of line--just load and shoot. If you cut your casts down by 50-75% over the course of a few hours that’s a major benefit to anyone’s shoulders/fishing/hookup rate.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
The OP said that casting his current 6wt can make his shoulder ache yet most of the replies - except for the Ion XL - have been for fast-action rods that require more speed/power to cast effectively, where a softer rod should reduce the strain.

Is there something about Washington beaches I'm not understanding that make a fast-action rod cast differently than casting itinto a river or a lake?

(I agree that a session with a casting instructor might identify a problem. It worked for my achy shoulder.)

Not that there isn’t wind on lakes and rivers, but it is something folks deal with regularly when beach fishing up here when casting and fishing. What lines people are using also plays a part. If someone if making more then say two false casts per cast, that will wear you out over the course of a long fishing session.
SF

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Okay, makes sense when explained like that. I didn't consider false casts because I don't use them when casting from the beach because I'm always facing into the wind.

Thanks!

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
/-
So, what you’re saying is that I can do it as long as I cast like a Rajeff?
I'm sure if you could put in the hours that he can or has you would be a much better caster than you are now. But it appears you’re doing just fine, and on real water, not some gym floor or swimming pool casting pond. It’s nice to cast on pools with idea conditions. Just an observation not a truth. I mean lots of times out in the sound and where ever the wind and other conditions (freezing your ass off perhaps…iced guides) all make it survival casting. Reverse casting… casting with your back serve per se. Low angle arm casting to get to target area without the wind blowing it up the cast. Trick casting…. Just to get it out 40 feet or put it in a spot on the river 25’ away. Changing set up to enhance the performance of your set up to the conditions you face.

Was in Montana a bit ago and I had to do a lot of reach casting with my 4 weight. At times you want a rod that allows you do some multi tasking instead of air mailing 80+ feet. Just rambling.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
This outfit in classified for a 4 wt switch sure looks like it would be fun to Sound cast..
"Selling my ACR Nova 2 trout spey. Great rod and only fished a couple times. Steve Godshall Scandoid line included."

EddieFrank

Salt or stream
Forum Supporter
The rod shouldn't make a difference in wearing you out. Work with a casting instructor and figure out what the issue is. I can help you depending on where you are. Or shoot a video and send it to me or post if you prefer.

And I wouldn't invest in a "used" rod unless you know that you love it or are willing to take a chance.. Most used rods are being gotten rid of because they didn't work for whomever is selling it. Doesn't mean it won't work for you, but you need to cast different rods and figure out what rod and line combo works best for you.

I'm going to get a couple of Winston's next, a 7wt to start and maybe a 4wt down the road. I don't really need any rods as I have 30 or so rods anyway. The other two I plan on is a 13' bamboo spey rod from a guy in Idaho, and is more than I should spend... i won't even say how much it will be! And I want to take Bill Oyster's class in Georgia and build my first bamboo rod.. probably a 7' 4wt.. it's a week long course, where you build and wrap the rod and then fish for a day with it when you're done! With Bill and the class I assume.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!
Big shout out to @flybill who took time out of his busy Saturday yesterday to stop by the Snoqualmie and help me tune my cast! You're an all-star, Bill. I may hold off a bit on the next rod and work out what I can with what I've got. We also got to meet Dec Hogan which was pretty cool. Tightest loops I ever did see, I'll tell you that!