Best 5wt Setup Recos?

EddieFrank

Salt or stream
Forum Supporter
I've been bopping around with a mid-range 4wt for streams (Sage Foundation) and a 6wt (Sage Salt, that I bought locally from a very nice forum supporter (that other forum)) for the last couple of years. My shoulder isn't getting any younger which is why a day on the beach with the Sage Salt is getting to be too much, too fast. I finally have the opportunity to invest in a good 5wt setup and am looking for recommendations. Mostly looking to fish it for SRC in Puget Sound, but with it's versatility it'll go elsewhere. I'm a big believer in used, but that can be a real hunt in the dark so in the interest of time I'll probably go new. Love to stay under $1k all in...(gulp)! Ideas?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
If you've got a 4wt, I'd recommend not getting a 5wt. It’s just not different enough and a decent 6wt can do everything a 5wt does, but has more guts to punch into wind, etc--especially if you're looking to hunt src in the salt.

Maybe a different 6wt would help? I've got a few 6wts you're welcome to try out if you'd like: Echo Ion XL, Echo Boost Blue, Burkheimer Sea Trout, and Scott Sector 684-4 (though I'm probably the only person I know who will happily fish that rod from a beach).

Also, how much are you false casting? One or two is often enough per cast, and more than that means putting a lot more and unnecessary strain on your shoulder. Lots of reasons for extra false casts if you’re making them—could be a line thing, could be a rod thing, could be a technique thing.

Edit: Clarity

Edit: 684-4 not 864-4.

Though, I’d love to try a 6’8” 8wt sometime.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
G Loomis IMX-Pro V2 590-4
SF

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
I've been bopping around with a mid-range 4wt for streams (Sage Foundation) and a 6wt (Sage Salt, that I bought locally from a very nice forum supporter (that other forum)) for the last couple of years. My shoulder isn't getting any younger which is why a day on the beach with the Sage Salt is getting to be too much, too fast. I finally have the opportunity to invest in a good 5wt setup and am looking for recommendations. Mostly looking to fish it for SRC in Puget Sound, but with it's versatility it'll go elsewhere. I'm a big believer in used, but that can be a real hunt in the dark so in the interest of time I'll probably go new. Love to stay under $1k all in...(gulp)! Ideas?
Look into a good condition Scott Radian 5 or 6 weight.

EddieFrank

Salt or stream
Forum Supporter
Guys, you've given me a lot to think about, I really appreciate it! I'm going to pound the pavement to a couple local shops and see what I can try out, but it really helps to have a few starting points. @Jake Watrous I will PM you when I'm next heading out to the beach and maybe I can find you? Such a kind offer! I'm spending Thanksgiving on Hood Canal and want to have a new toy, but patience (lol) is probably the best route given the investment.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Guys, you've given me a lot to think about, I really appreciate it! I'm going to pound the pavement to a couple local shops and see what I can try out, but it really helps to have a few starting points. @Jake Watrous I will PM you when I'm next heading out to the beach and maybe I can find you? Such a kind offer! I'm spending Thanksgiving on Hood Canal and want to have a new toy, but patience (lol) is probably the best route given the investment.
Sounds good. Been hitting the beaches north of Edmonds about 4 am-6 am M-F lately.

If you want to borrow a rod or two for your trip to the HC, send me a PM and I can loan you the Burkie and/or the Ion XL..plus reels and lines. The Scott is currently being loaned out and I'm waiting on approval from my 8yo to share his Boost Blue.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sounds good. Been hitting the beaches north of Edmonds about 4 am-6 am M-F lately.

If you want to borrow a rod or two for your trip to the HC, send me a PM and I can loan you the Burkie and/or the Ion XL..plus reels and lines. The Scott is currently being loaned out and I'm waiting on approval from my 8yo to share his Boost Blue.
I like your style !!! 👍

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
If a 6wt is wearing you out, I’m not sure a 5wt is going to make much difference.

I suggest trying a different line, first. A Wulff Ambush Short or an integrated Skagit line would offer considerable efficiency benefits. There’s no free lunch, though; they do not land gracefully, so be prepared for that.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
My shoulder isn't getting any younger which is why a day on the beach with the Sage Salt is getting to be too much, too fast.
have you considered moving to a 4 wt. switch rod? A switch rod with OPST Commando head and running line = long distance casts without ever having to bring the top hand above my ear, bottom hand doing the work. After recovery from snapped rotator cuff repair, I could fish that set-up when not yet ready for single hand OH casting.

flybill

Life of the Party
The rod shouldn't make a difference in wearing you out. Work with a casting instructor and figure out what the issue is. I can help you depending on where you are. Or shoot a video and send it to me or post if you prefer.

And I wouldn't invest in a "used" rod unless you know that you love it or are willing to take a chance.. Most used rods are being gotten rid of because they didn't work for whomever is selling it. Doesn't mean it won't work for you, but you need to cast different rods and figure out what rod and line combo works best for you.

I'm going to get a couple of Winston's next, a 7wt to start and maybe a 4wt down the road. I don't really need any rods as I have 30 or so rods anyway. The other two I plan on is a 13' bamboo spey rod from a guy in Idaho, and is more than I should spend... i won't even say how much it will be! And I want to take Bill Oyster's class in Georgia and build my first bamboo rod.. probably a 7' 4wt.. it's a week long course, where you build and wrap the rod and then fish for a day with it when you're done! With Bill and the class I assume.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
have you considered moving to a 4 wt. switch rod? A switch rod with OPST Commando head and running line = long distance casts without ever having to bring the top hand above my ear, bottom hand doing the work. After recovery from snapped rotator cuff repair, I could fish that set-up when not yet ready for single hand OH casting.
Do you find that a Spey cast blows up the nearby water? I’ve thought about breaking out my rods every so often (only every time the jumping coho are outside my single hand casting range) but wonder about that and also the strikes that happen when my line is inside the guides.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
If I were closer to Puget Sound beaches and were looking for a line for that fishery, a skagit of any sort would be at the very end of my list (not to say they don't have their place). A solid ~30' head shooting head where it's one or two back casts and shoot is what I'd be after (oh wait, that's what I have & use for that style of fishing!!).

But I digress, this is about rods....to echo @flybill 's point, there really isn't much substitute for proper technique, especially when it comes to all of these aches and such as we age...I'd take both his and @Jake Watrous 's offers up if you're able. Personally, I prefer more moderate rods myself, but do just fine with really fast rods as well because my technique is probably better than average (but mostly because of those shooting heads where you're not false casting until your shoulder falls off).

🍻

EddieFrank

Salt or stream
Forum Supporter
Alright guys, you're all amazing and helpful, clearly I've got a to work on. The generosity of time (and material) of this community totally rocks!

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Do you find that a Spey cast blows up the nearby water? I’ve thought about breaking out my rods every so often (only every time the jumping coho are outside my single hand casting range) but wonder about that and also the strikes that happen when my line is inside the guides.
Tim RaJeff explaining ...

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
So, what you’re saying is that I can do it as long as I cast like a Rajeff?
few of us likely can...but following the basic guidelines with a well balanced outfit will produce long casts without the wear and tear required with an OH rod.
Anyhoo, it was just a thought

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
few of us likely can...but following the basic guidelines with a well balanced outfit will produce long casts without the wear and tear required with an OH rod.
Anyhoo, it was just a thought
Just having some fun. I may give it a shot, as I’m itching to bust out the long rods and I’ve no sh trips planned anytime soon :(

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
The OP said that casting his current 6wt can make his shoulder ache yet most of the replies - except for the Ion XL - have been for fast-action rods that require more speed/power to cast effectively, where a softer rod should reduce the strain.

Is there something about Washington beaches I'm not understanding that make a fast-action rod cast differently than casting it into a river or a lake?

(I agree that a session with a casting instructor might identify a problem. It worked for my achy shoulder.)

Last edited: