Beef Chili

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I need your Chili cooking advice. NOT your recipe. What I need is a direction. I searched google and there are just too many recipes to choose from. All I need is a "start here" recipe. What sort of beef cuts/types do you prefer in your beef chili. I am not interested in any other types of chili's right now. Beef. Thats it.

Yes I am embarrassed and ashamed that I am asking this as I have never cooked my own pot of chili yet. But, it is time.

dep

Steelhead
Carrol Shelby Chili Fixin's from the store in a great start. it's in a small box within all the packages of mixes.
I use equal amounts of ground beef with something like new york steak, sirloin or london broil.
I cook it for at least 1.5 hours to make the beef tender.

great starter kit.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Some chili seasonings are pretty standard, like oregano and cumin. Here are my not-so-secret secret ingredients:

couple tbsps fish sauce
Mexican baking chocolate
tsp each cinnamon and allspice
3-5 different types dried chilies with varied flavor profiles. Seed and devein and toast in pan or microwave until fragrant. Steep in a bit of whatever broth you are going to use. Blend smooth and add to the chili pot.

As to what cut of beef to use, I just go with chuck or sirloin, usually ground because I'm maing it Cinci-style with beans.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I'm a fan of both also. Sounds like you want more of an American football Sunday type with beans and ground beef?

Brown/sear your meat first, lots of people add beer to the recipe seems like a good idea to me, you can go the chili powder or boiled and blended dried whole chili's route, I'm not a fan of big mealy kidney beans I prefer Peruvian beans or pinto. Cooking in a slow cooker makes things easier.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Neither I nor my wife are fond of really spicy foods, so our chili is most likely too mild for many of you. But, that said we can whip up a batch that is very tasty pronto with our Instant Pot. As for meat, we got in a habit of keeping a bag full of small bits of leftover meats in the freezer instead of discarding them after ignoring them in the fridge for a week or more Those last few bites of steak, ribs, shanks, etc. that we just couldn’t finish go into the freezer bag. When chili is desired it is easy to thaw out some scraps and cut into ~ 1/2” cubes. Sauté in the Instant Pot with just three seasonings—Ancho Chili Powder, Garlic Powder and Ancho Chili Sea Salt. Once nice and browned up add a chopped up onion, some chopped celery, occasionally some red sweet peppers and 1/2 cup of frozen corn, a can of mild chopped Mexican tomatoes, and a can of Bush’s Mild Chili Beans. To top it off add about a 1/4 cup of rice (the rice cooks down and thickens the chili). Once it’s all mixed together assess the need for additional moisture—may up to a 1/2 cup of chicken or beef broth. Using the stew setting on the Instant Pot, pressure cook for 9 minutes. Although when done its ready to serve, you can just leave it on slow cook until you are ready to eat.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Chuck steak trimmed and cubed, then browned
Dried chilis toasted and soaked
Additional spices as you like

The basics

Check out competition chili recipes and websites, lots of tips and tricks the home cook can use to make better chili right away.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have been eating nothing but homecooked food since new years. I tried some campbells chili and pretty surr im gonna get diahrea. Hence the need for a homecooked recipe

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Boneless chuck roast...small cube. Andouille sausage...small cube. Thick bacon or pancetta, small cube. Sear each in this order, remove. Add the usual suspects...I like tube tomato paste & anchovy paste...smoked paprika & chili powder...fresh herbs or dried...use different beans, like cannellini and/or black beans etc...grape tomatoes (why not?)...

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I recently made a batch with impossible burger. Not too shabby.
I don’t know why I didn’t think about that. We do stuff like that all the time, i make a mean beef and broccoli and Dan Dan Noodles with impossible burgers. Thanks for jogging my memory!