BBQ Salmon... foil or direct on the grill?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Should’ve just taken that fish to a cookout instead of a bbq; if it’s a bbq, stuff is on the heat for a looong time so what did you expect?

I was expecting good salmon.
I wasn’t the cook or the host and was too busy drinking beer to pay attention. I knew we in trouble when he asked if we thought an hour was long enough to cook the salmon…. 😂
SF

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Reactions: RCF

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
I really just toss the fillets in the microwave then dip them in ketchup.
Back in school my dad made the lunches. we got canned pink or keta salmon sandwich +mayo every day. He batch made them to last a month, froze them. You got a little brick of a sandwich each morning that if you were lucky, it might thaw by lunchtime. If it thawed, it was soggy. if it didn't thaw it had some crunchiness. In bartering up for something good from your friend's lunch? Nope, half frozen pink salmon sandwiches got you nowhere.

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Did you enjoy it? I think that’s what matters. I mean I don’t begrudge @Evan B for his deep appreciation for microwaved salmon fillets slathered in ketchup.
Oh yeah. I always believe there is a place for grilled salmon on the grill like every has talked about, but we eat enough fish that I like to have some variety. This in particular was some of the last of my fish from last season, so it could use a bit more seasoning to balance out flavors.

Chucker

Steelhead
And steaming salmon? I can see how consistency among preparations is critically significant, but for fvck's sake, what a travesty of fish cooking that is! Renown Seattle restaurateur Tom Douglas did a similar salmon tasting episode on his kitchen radio show. It was almost embarrassing to know that I could have brought a better product to his show. Taste is personal. And personal taste comes with experience. If a person's experience with salmon is mostly or entirely bad salmon, then I'm not surprised that they prefer the mild, tepid, flavor of lightly salted steamed farmed Atlantic salmon.

The steaming thing is the standard way to prepare fish for a taste test panel - I have been on quite a few of those. A measured portion of fish with a measured portion of salt, steamed for a pre set time so that the prep is exactly the same for all the samples. The samples all taste pretty bad no matter what they are, but you can really pick out off flavors and textures, which is usually the point of the exercise. The salt level is low to not mask anything, so anyone with any experience could have told you in advance that the brined fish would win hands down, so matter what it was.

I was on a few panels comparing farmed fish on different diets, and with different handling and processing, which was all part of the science refining fish farming to make the fish excel at this sort of taste test. I was even on one with a wild Atlantic salmon sample. It was obvious which one it was, and in comparison with the farmed fish, it was really bad. - but nobody is eating taste test salmon samples for dinner! It’s not what the test is for, and the people who wrote that article should know better (but the farmed fish would probably win anyway, with WashPo cooking writers…)

Clean Willy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've just been trolling you guys this whole time.

I really just toss the fillets in the microwave then dip them in ketchup.

I think my years of deck handing on salmon trollers and access to free fish qualifies me as a PNW salmon snob. That said, I'm not above microwaving salmon. In parchment packets with some asparagus and baby red potatoes? Not my favorite method, but not bad!

Oh and on the boat our favorite method was in the oven with a coating of mayonnaise, the fish sometimes out of the water for only minutes.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
There's a great salmon recipe from Scandinavia, which is Salmon poached in Fume. Fume is culinary for fish broth. You mince celery carrot and onion (mirepox) and potato. Bring vegetables and broth to soft boil, add filet salmon, cover and poach 8 minutes. Salmon and small cut vegetables will all finish together. Remove salmon to bowl. Whip 2 egg yolks a 1/2 cup cream (liason) add to pot slowly cooking eggs. Spoon vegetables and broth over salmon. Place on a dill leaf garnish. Fantastic on a chilly NW or Scandinavia day...some sour cream on the side is nice..

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like to take some green salsa and add 1/3 volume sour cream or plain yogurt, mix it up and use as my spread. It would be great on these, and is great on fish tacos..your cabbage looks "muy rico"

I did some cilantro and garlic with the juice of the lime and half and orange. Its got a zing to balance out my hot sauce. The cabbage was tossed also with some lime, orange, and a spoonful of my dad's honey. So yes, muy Rico.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Several decades ago I had a conversation with a Grande Ronde woman of very advanced age. She told me her mother was born during the long march from the Rogue Valley to the Grande Ronde reservation in the 1850's. The conversation drifted into gathered/foraged foods, including salmon. She said that her people believed that foods that are in season at the same time complement each other, “like fall salmon and blackberries.“ Well, I had to try the combination. Long and short, baked/broiled salmon sauced with a warm blackberry preserve reduction……amazing! The taste takes you immediately to a mellow and sunlit early October afternoon on an intimate tidewater. Try it! (Preserves because the sugar content is lower than jam.)

Cityslicker Plan B, for salmon grilled over an eastside campfire, is to thrust a handful of green juniper into the coals to produce a brief dense smoke as you are finishing the fish, skin side down.