BBQ Salmon... foil or direct on the grill?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Picked up some sockeye from Costco yesterday for dinner tonight. Trying to decide if I want to grill or bake in the oven.

But that got me thinking about the three main methods for salmon on the grill:

1. Foil packet (sealed)
2. Foil tray
3. Direct on the grill

I don't really have a favorite and have great memories of eating fish done with both methods. But I guess if I had to pick one, I'd take direct on the grill. Cooking in a foil packet is probably an easier way to not overcook and keep the fish moist. But I also think that it's not all that much different from doing it in the oven. Direct on the grill feels more like you "grilled" it. If that makes sense? Foil boat/tray is my choice if direct on the grill isn't an option.

What do you all like?

I'll ping the official PNWFF Camp Chef @Jerry Daschofsky because I feel like he'll have an opinion here.

EDIT: I realized that I shouldn't have said "foil wrapped" since I meant "foil tray". So I've added a "foil packet" option as well.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
On foil, not wrapped for me.
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Made an edit to the post. I didn't mean a full foil wrap. I was aiming for the foil tray/boat style, as people above have mentioned.

Though obviously the sealed foil is another method. Perhaps I'll add all three on there.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Pan sear skin side down until crisp, flip the fish, kill the heat (or keep on as appropriate for your cut/tastes), add compound butter of your choice and baste until done.

I like dill, shallots, lemon, caper and cayenne in my compound butter, but orange and chunky paprika deserve some love

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Pat flesh side dry, Direct on the grill, sprinkle with dill, sockeye filets like 10-15 minutes for crispy skin and moist meat, in my experience. It’s

Divad

Whitefish
I wasn’t raised on salmon so it’s been a slow process acquiring the taste. I’ve heard of others really liking the plank as @Clean Willy mentioned so I looked it up.

These guys both noticed immediately the taste of a non-planked salmon. Going to have to try this.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Pan sear skin side down until crisp, flip the fish, kill the heat (or keep on as appropriate for your cut/tastes), add compound butter of your choice and baste until done.

I like dill, shallots, lemon, caper and cayenne in my compound butter, but orange and chunky paprika deserve some love
I use a compound butter on my grilled fish too…usually just smoked paprika & fresh thyme…

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I admit I have never cooked cedar planked salmon myself. I should try that soon.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Salmon filet, skin on. Take tweezers to pull out any bones. Oil flesh side. Sprinkle on liberally s&p, garlic powder, Ital. seasoning. Make sure grill is hot. This helps to keep it from sticking. Take a rag rolled tight and add oil so it's lightly wet. Scrub grill with rag quickly. Don't catch on fire! Put on salmon 3 minutes flesh down to get grill marks. Flip to skin side 4 or 5 minutes. Pull and put on a square of butter to melt all over it. Yumm...

Clean Willy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
IMO more important than cooking method, is doneness if that's a word. Get yourself a Thermopen and listen to Tom.

Chucker

Steelhead
Salmon filet, skin on. Take tweezers to pull out any bones. Oil flesh side. Sprinkle on liberally s&p, garlic powder, Ital. seasoning. Make sure grill is hot. This helps to keep it from sticking. Take a rag rolled tight and add oil so it's lightly wet. Scrub grill with rag quickly. Don't catch on fire! Put on salmon 3 minutes flesh down to get grill marks. Flip to skin side 4 or 5 minutes. Pull and put on a square of butter to melt all over it. Yumm...

That’s also what I do.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
For those of us that remember Trapper B he said grill skin down until the fat oozes out of the flesh. It is done. I have been cooking it this way ever since. Always cooked through and moist too.
No flipping to the flesh side?