Non-Fly Bait scents: bullshit or not?

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I'd rather use scent on my lures while fishing than deer or elk piss on my clothes while hunting.🤣🤣
I can't help myself sometimes. 😜
Kidding aside I use scent on my lures in freshwater almost all the time.
Usually on slow moving plastic baits for bass and hoochy and shrimp baits for sockeye at Baker lake.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Saltwater, I don't believe scent means a damn thing.

And Brian, I go out of my way to fish my hoochies strip free :)

Freshwater is likely a whole different story. I just haven't done any of that type of fishing in so long I really can't speak to it.

Funny enough, I was out mooching with @ffb a few weeks ago. I had some herring leftover from a previous trip brined with just rock salt and freshwater and I bought a few more dozen specifically for that trip and on a whim picked up one of those bottles of Pro Cure herring brine. That'll be the last time I do that. Fished side by side for a good portion of the day the basic rock salt herring consistently out performed the Pro Cure version to the point that I was cursing the stuff and finally just tossed about half of it and went back to the old standard and started hooking fish. At least that day, adding to the basic herring did nothing that interested the fish. (Obviously in this scenario its comparing a natural to a modified natural, so not apples to apples, but it was interesting nonetheless).

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Brad's Plugs stuffed wth oily tuna my go to when trolling the rivermouth of a coupla coastal rivers, and the more often it was replaced, the more often the bites...

CRO

Steelhead
when i first started fishing spinners for summer runs over 50 years ago i was taught to remove human scent by washing the lures with ivory soap bar after tying them on. There were so many fish in those days that you would see fish before they hit. It was not uncommon to watch a fish follow for over 10ft and either strike or not. Always felt that no scent was better than human scent.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Back in the early 80's , hit the tacoma boat house in the dark and pickup a few dozen herring. Drive down to the cowlitz and fish those fresh herring around the barrier damn boat launch at sunrise.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
went and checked AI just to check my work ;)

1692914749082.png

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I save my banana peels from previous couple of days and the one in the am for the boat. To the boat I bring a cheese board and tack down my banana peels splayed and flesh side up. About a 9-12 peels total. All flies and lures are rubbed up and down on one to three of the peels 3-4 times. Catch a tad bit of flesh from a peel is even better specially if bait plunking. It’s an amazing tactic. 🦨 💨

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Bananas is of course the unfounded classic.

But anyone ever says to not bring fried chicken salmon fishing, you best listen.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That’s new to me. I wanna know the story behind this one. Or maybe I’ll just use the internet because the truth is out there on google/bingo/etc

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
That’s new to me. I wanna know the story behind this one. Or maybe I’ll just use the internet because the truth is out there on google/bingo/etc
Not so much a story, just data from a lot of non superstitious, experienced salmon fishermen and guides who say that the oils and smells on fried chicken are salmon repellent.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Bananas is of course the unfounded classic.

But anyone ever says to not bring fried chicken salmon fishing, you best listen.

Back when the old man was running charters we had a company take out there whole crew, took 3 or 4 trips. Each time he would bring in 50 peices of KFC and all the extras. We limited out every day, and they rarely ate more than 15 peices. As a starving lanky teen I was in heaven!!!

I remember an STS article where a Columbia river guid hated greasy food on board, even potato chips. He also debunked the banana myth.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Back when the old man was running charters we had a company take out there whole crew, took 3 or 4 trips. Each time he would bring in 50 peices of KFC and all the extras. We limited out every day, and they rarely ate more than 15 peices. As a starving lanky teen I was in heaven!!!

I remember an STS article where a Columbia river guid hated greasy food on board, even potato chips. He also debunked the banana myth.
Like all things there's no absolutes. But I also think like already mentioned, fresh vs saltwater may be the difference here.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Can't say for sure about the bananas on a boat being bad luck, but I eat a banana every day before I go fishing, sometimes two.
I eat at least one every day even on non fishing days.
SF