Backyard Wildlife

iggie

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
No pictures but had the dog out in the front yard at 6 am, when an elk ran by us 30 feet away.
My dog didn't bolt I was impressed.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
This big boy was in my backyard after work yesterday. Snapped off a few cell pics thru the window before the dog could scare him offIMG_4538.jpegIMG_4540.jpegIMG_4539.jpegIMG_4541.jpeg

I usually see one big buck once each fall during the rut. This guy was definitely on the prowl!

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Last Saturday, I was clearing out and dismantling the tomato garden after the previous couple of hard frosts killed them off. This little lady was sunning herself on the outdoor A/C unit the whole time I was working.

1698726348333.png

I'm surprised she survived those hard frosts, and I sure hope she was able to lay her eggs.

It's always cool to see these since they are not very common in the Puget Sound area.

Dweddy89

Smolt
Screen shots from a short video.
Whatever it is comes to my backyard fence nightly.
It has huge ears, and a long tail.
Possum? What do yo guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_3637.png
    IMG_3637.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3638.jpeg
    IMG_3638.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 55

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I didn't have a camera in-hand but I saw a Cooper's Hawk take a swipe at a smallish Crow it was chasing. After the "close fly-by," the raptor swooped up & landed in a tree. The Crow veered-away sharply, uttered a sound I have never heard a Crow make before (possibly the Corvid equivalent to "Sh**!), and beat a hasty retreat away.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
The local deer trot by my home-office window daily. Generally, the does and their offspring can wander by at any time, but the bucks typically wander through at dawn and dusk. But this has changed lately. We must be in the height of the rut. There is a small spike buck that has been chasing the does. The does want nothing to do with him but he is eager and persistent, like an overeager puppy.
Yesterday morning, a doe walked by my window followed by one of the larger bucks, a male with forked antlers. He kept flicking out his tongue, probably to detect any pheromone cues from her. He was far more determined than the spike buck.
Later in the morning, I noticed this forked buck bedded down outside our kitchen window – resting after a hard morning of chasing does…
A00BuckBreather6513.jpg
Later, a spike buck came up behind him. They then sparred in the backyard. The spike buck was smaller and less muscular than the forked buck. At first, the spike buck appeared to be far more earnest than the forked buck in this sparring challenge. But after being pushed back a time or two, the forked buck put a stop to that.
A01BucksSparring6532.jpgA02BucksSparring6523.jpgA03BucksSparring6544.jpgA04BucksSparring6542.jpg
Steve

Last edited: