Backpacking...

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
I'm blessed to have access to some cool backpacking opportunities. I try to take 3-4 trips every year, generally July-August.

My favorite trips are exploring new-to-me stretches of moving water that hold native fish.

9CB3B42B-2A0C-44C1-A7F3-7BCCA870FDD6_zps64sncxlo.jpg

DSC_6971(1).jpg

Throwing mice to cutties is a hoot.

909ED3E4-0908-43B0-A038-B352717D0AE1_zpsnay1qpdm.jpg

The past couple of years I've been getting more into high mtn lakes. That has been fun.

DSC_4619.jpg

DSC_4143.jpg

001(141).jpg

Wind Rivers are at the top of my list for this year.

Dekartes

Kill Pebble Permanently
I need to move to Bozeman! Love that. I have done a few overnights in your neck of the woods. One lake holding nice Grayling. Fun.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
If enough people get serious about it, the site could probably create somewhere safe from prying eyes for this project.
Count me as someone who would be interested. How could we help out with this?

I have a couple of favorite golden trout lakes to test my fitness every so often..
Years ago I was determined to get a golden in Washington. Set out on several trips but with no goldens to show for it. Not sure if the lakes I went to were just on a down cycle due to gaps in stocking or had winter-kill issues or if I just sucked at fishing those days. Either way, that mission to get a golden got derailed about 9 years ago when our first kid was born - still got up in the mountains a decent amount, but decided the off trail stuff combined with no communication possibilities wasn't great for my wife's stress levels. Now that the kids are getting older I've been spending quite a bit of time on the research side of the golden trout quest and getting back into the golden trout search. Went 0 for 1 last year, but for this year the vibes are feeling really good. It's gonna happen.

Hoping in the next few years I'm able to make the same statement you made.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Get the Garmin In-Reach so that you can communicate while you're back-country. Lets my wife see where I am, send text messages, and call for help if needed. They offer month to month subscription or an annual one. Haven't needed it for an emergency yet, but gives both the wife and I peace of mind when I'm out there alone.

Dekartes

Kill Pebble Permanently
Second the Garmin. Although the 'descending' and 'down' messages freak my wife out... I don't like to use the bread crumb feature for various reasons, so tend to send messages if I'm off grid doing something dangerous so she has the location pin.... Essential gear for backcountry by yourself. I know others have caught Goldens here. I have 1 destination for the summer that is supposed to have them, but that Intel is from like 20 years ago... Caught some in Swimmys neck of the woods.

I would be interested also in the project. Although I know how internet word can inundate areas; even if difficult to go to. A few of my favorites that were hard to navigate have now been flagged and had paths beaten down. What is to be pristine, now regularly has garbage. I am not a fan of flagging a route. Figure if you have some navigation skills and the wherewithal to get through bramble, etc, you probably aren't the type to leave trash.

Greg Price

Steelhead
How many backpackers do we have on this forum? Bet we could combine knowledge and have a pretty damn good database for fishing in the Cascades and Olympics. Would have to be locked down and available to only trusted contributors somehow. Be cool to develop a database we could all add to with location data, etc etc... Been backpacking for 40 years and while I'm not as fast as I used to be, I still get off the beaten path. I think back to how fast I was able to climb in my 20s.... Speed isn't everything though!

View attachment 4446View attachment 4447View attachment 4450
Backpacking looks like fun. Made my first day hike into wilderness during hight of covid.

My son started backpacking last summer. I started working for a gear outfitter, so I may be able to score discounts. Will purchase a backpack and try a few one nighters locally with my son this summer.

All multi nighters this season involve car camping in search of bass and trout, but that may change in coming years if my 59 year old body can handle a heavy pack.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I used to do a lot of backpacking/fishing trips starting back in the 60’s. The summer of our high school graduation, a buddy of mine (rest in peace Bill) and I did a summer long hitch hike - backpacking combo through Ca, Nv, Ut, Wy, Mt, Id and back home to Wa. We’d hike into the best places we could find until our food ran low, then hike back down and thumb a ride to the next “best place” to do it over again.

The trails were not crowded then, and the Wind R range and @swimmy ‘s neck of the woods were standouts, as were the North Cascades before our last ride home in September.

My backpacking days are over, but if it weren’t for my sister’s wedding and start of college way back when, I might still be out there 🤣

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
if my 59 year old body can handle a heavy pack.
Don't carry a heavy pack. I used to but don't any longer. There's all kinds of info on the net about lighweight and ultra-lightweight backpacking. My total pack weight for 4 or 5 nights is 30 pounds or less.

Reactions: Zak

Greg Price

Steelhead
I used to do a lot of backpacking/fishing trips starting back in the 60’s. The summer of our high school graduation, a buddy of mine (rest in peace Bill) and I did a summer long hitch hike - backpacking combo through Ca, Nv, Ut, Wy, Mt, Id and back home to Wa. We’d hike into the best places we could find until our food ran low, then hike back down and thumb a ride to the next “best place” to do it over again.

The trails were not crowded then, and the Wind R range and @swimmy ‘s neck of the woods were standouts, as were the North Cascades before our last ride home in September.

My backpacking days are over, but if it weren’t for my sister’s wedding and start of college way back when, I might still be out there 🤣
Wow sounds like a most excellent adventure. Glad you survived the hitchhiking

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
I mentioned this before but if you are looking for a medium size pack, the Osprey Atmos is incredible. The anti-gravity suspension system is the most comfortable thing I've ever put on. Just got down to your local retailer and try one on. You'll see what I'm talking about immediately.

DSC_4664.jpg

TDub

No fish here
Forum Supporter
Just for the new people who are looking into backpacking and wanting to keep it light:

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I do like to keep it light. I read that keeping the big 3 (tent, backpack, sleeping system) under 9 pounds is a good start. This system has worked for me. A little investment, but completely comfortable.

28oz

2 lbs

19 oz

25 oz

Less than 7 pounds before food, water, etc. Cooking system is pretty important for weight as well.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I mentioned this before but if you are looking for a medium size pack, the Osprey Atmos is incredible. The anti-gravity suspension system is the most comfortable thing I've ever put on. Just got down to your local retailer and try one on. You'll see what I'm talking about immediately.

DSC_4664.jpg

I've got the Osprey Aether 70 AG and the Stratos 36. These packs are unbelievably comfortable...especially compared to the the big external framed Kelty and Jansport packs (back in the day Jansport made serious expedition level packs) I started out with.

Last edited:

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I've got the Osprey Aether 70 AG and the Stratos 36. These packs are unbelievably comfortable...especially compared to the the big external framed Kelty and Jansport packs (back in the day Jansport made serious expedition level packs) I started out with.
I graduated from a wood framed and canvas Trapper Nelson to a Jansport pack - what a difference that made!
I still have my old Optimus stove. I heard they’re a collectors item now.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I graduated from a wood framed and canvas Trapper Nelson to a Jansport pack - what a difference that made!
I still have my old Optimus stove. I heard they’re a collectors item now.
I remember lusting after an Optimus stove, but alas...I only had a Svea 123.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
MSR Whisperlite here...
Now MSR Reactor...

Jansport back in the 70's...
Now Gregory Baltoro...

Lighter, better, more expensive.
;)

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
MSR Whisperlite here...
Now MSR Reactor...

Jansport back in the 70's...
Now Gregory Baltoro...

Lighter, better, more expensive.
;)
Using an inflation calculator, what cost $50 in 1970 would now cost $362. I was reminded of this a couple years ago by a medical student that was working with me. I asked him how much he was going to make as a resident and when he told me, I gave him the ole' "Back in my day, I made $19,000 my first year of residency." He googled the inflation calculator and showed me it was about the same. The big difference is that I worked up to 132 hours weekly, and they are capped at less than 80 hours weekly. And we did some moonlighting on top of that, which counts into their 80 hours if they work at all.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Using an inflation calculator, what cost $50 in 1970 would now cost $362. I was reminded of this a couple years ago by a medical student that was working with me. I asked him how much he was going to make as a resident and when he told me, I gave him the ole' "Back in my day, I made $19,000 my first year of residency." He googled the inflation calculator and showed me it was about the same. The big difference is that I worked up to 132 hours weekly, and they are capped at less than 80 hours weekly. And we did some moonlighting on top of that, which counts into their 80 hours if they work at all.
These kind of discussions frequently come up when old farts lament the loss of $0.25 /gallon gas....which wasn't much of a windfall when you were making $0.95/hour and the beater got 12 mpg. 😁

Last edited:

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I got my whisperlite in 75, and my Reactor in 13.
Can't remember what the whisperlite cost back then, but it couldn't have been too much, as I was a broke kid in high school.
:)