Backpacking in Eastern WA in May

Ricardo

Just Hatched
In mid-May my wife and I will be celebrating our 18th anniversary. We love backpacking and we do it a lot in Summer around the Cascades on the western part of the state, so we would like to use the anniversary excuse to start backpacking earlier this year and drive east hoping for better camping conditions before Memorial Day. Does anyone recommend any good places to go backpacking east of the Cascades that early in the season? If there are places to fish along the way it is a bonus, but it is not a must. Thanks!

Ricardo

Just Hatched
Things are going to be snowy anywhere you go in the mountains at that time. There are some hike-in lakes in the Columbia basin that might provide both hiking and fishing.
Thanks! Any favorite lake in particular I should look into first? Also, are rattlesnakes out by May in that part of the state?

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
The lower elevation hikes in the Olympics would be nice that time of year. The Enchanted Valley and Hoh River trails are nice. Also some nice hikes on the coast.

longputt

Steelhead
There are nice hikes in the Columbia River Gorge and a little north into WA. The snow is off earlier. I can't comment about overnight hikes, I've always car-camped and day-hiked the area. I don't go there often but every time I do I wonder why we don't go more often. It does get warm but May is OK...there are even trails that close in June for fire danger.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Thanks! Any favorite lake in particular I should look into first? Also, are rattlesnakes out by May in that part of the state?

I’ve seen rattlesnakes in years past on the March 1st opener, so that would be a yes.
SF

Yadwick

Smolt
Check out the trail on the east side of lake chelan along the lake. You can get dropped off and hike to stehekin along the lake. not sure if the boats are running at that time though with frequency.

Ricardo

Just Hatched
The lower elevation hikes in the Olympics would be nice that time of year. The Enchanted Valley and Hoh River trails are nice. Also some nice hikes on the coast.
Great! I’ll look into that, did not initially consider the OP so thanks so much!

Ricardo

Just Hatched
Check out the trail on the east side of lake chelan along the lake. You can get dropped off and hike to stehekin along the lake. not sure if the boats are running at that time though with frequency.
Another great suggestion, thanks so much!

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

I was going to suggest this as well. I hit Stehekin every summer and catch a ton of trout south and north of Stehekin along the lake and on the river. From Chelan, you can get dropped off at Prince Creek Campground and then hike north to Stehekin. Stop at Moore Point Campground along the way to camp overnight. It's probably a two day hike with fishing involved. I have not done it but we met a couple in Stehekin that did it last year and they really enjoyed it. Watch for those Rattlers! Stehekin also has campgrounds "in town" near the landing but you can also continue north 5 or so miles to Harlequin Campground. At that point. you're in the heart of some amazing Stehekin River fishing. You can also shuttle from Stehekin up to Harlequin since it's just a paved road and not really hiking.

I have not been up in May so not sure what the water conditions are but you can call the local guide there for more info. Also check out Lady of the Lake for boat ferry services. They can drop you off at Prince Creek and then you can catch a ferry from Stehekin back to Chelan at the end of the trip.

RichS

Life of the Party
As I read the regulations ( always a challenge for me) the Stekin is closed until the Saturday before Memorial Day.