Awesome Dogs of PNW

atomic dog

Steelhead
They've had a few hunt trials out here over the past month, it's been fun getting out and sniffing out some holdover chukar. Maybe another month of access at this place before the cheat grass takes over for the summer, then we'll ditch the fields in favor of swimming for exercise.

fieldmuppets.jpg

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
We are fostering a dog for possible adoption. Temporarily named Barley, he's a 3yo lab husky mix (Labsky?). He's been at our house since yesterday and he's a good boy.
We adopted him. Now named Rigby. He's a good dog and working on his manners. I don't think he's ever seen a river before.
PXL_20240411_043746214.MP.jpgPXL_20240401_013502570.MP.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240331_205524.jpg
    IMG_20240331_205524.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
This is not our "Sprocket", but it's his twin.
For all of us who have adopted pups...
View attachment 11380
We adopted a 3 (or was he really 6?) year old, 70lb rescue Lab-Shepherd mix Sprocket in early Feb 2021. He was extremely smart but a challenge because he had been kept tied up, hadn't been trained, socialized with humans or other dogs, or neutered by his original owner. Animal Control removed him from the home because his owner went into the hospital for 10 days, leaving him tied up without food or water. We gave him a loving forever home that has a fully fenced 1-acre wooded lot and worked with him daily. His behavior and manners changed drastically as we constantly continued to "improve our communication". Back in mid-January 2024, we were playing ball in the backyard. After about 15 minutes I tossed the ball and he dropped the ball short, then trotted off into the woods. I figured he got tired-bored and went into the brush to pee. 5 minutes later he slowly came back onto the lawn. I told him to "get the ball!" he had dropped. He walked over to it, then collapsed. We rushed him to the vet where tests revealed he had very advanced canine gallbladder cancer and wasn't going to make it through the night. He had been asymptomatic, so my wife and I were both shocked and devastated. We held and stroked him as he received the injections. My wife was crying and he reached out and licked her face. Then he was gone. That was so hard for us 😭 .
1714182473719.png1714182093927.jpeg
Over the next 10 days I wasn't sure I wanted another dog and was going through the grieving process. But my wife was constantly cruising Pet Finder to console herself. She'd tell me about dogs she was interested in but would not do anything about it even though I urged her to follow up. So I created my own Petfinder account and within 30 minutes had found a very interesting dog named Cali. She is a 3 year old 40lb Lab-Kelpie mix whose foster Mom; that is affiliated with the Big Dog Project adoption organization in Gig Harbor, picked her up at a shelter in El Paso TX while staying with her husband who was TDY at Ft Bliss. When it came time for her to go back home to Gig Harbor she drove home with Cali and another rescue. I filled out the long adoption essay paperwork and we were approved the next morning. We had a meet & greet where my wife and I immediately fell in love with Cali and welcomed her into our forever home with us a week later. It turns out we were 2nd in line for a meet and greet to a couple who had also just lost their canine child but weren't mentally ready to adopt again.
1714182323543.jpeg1714182358442.jpeg
Cali is also very smart. She responded to verbal commands and hand signals immediately. But she is much more restrained and submissive with other dogs and people which we welcome in our "old age". Every morning I am up early for breakfast, and a regional morning HF ECOMM training "net(work)". I get Cali up from her crate (she and Sprocket had both been crate trained when we adopted them), and like I did with Sprocket, feed her outside. Then like Sprocket she does her business and checks out what new smells and critters are in the woods while I fire up my HF radio and get my station logs ready. Soon she lets me know she wants back in and goes to sleep on her plush bed as I enter the "net". An hour later after I finish updating my logs and secure my station, "It's time to go see Mommy!", who is a late sleeper. She jumps to her feet and hurries to wait at the door of the family room that's also my "radio room" for the "go" command. It's something very special for both of them as "Mommy", who is still in bed, gives her a very long belly rub. We are signed up for all 3 levels of training and will complete level 1 next week.

So, Cali is half the size-weight of Sprocket and we have some things that might be useful for someone with a larger dog so I'll post them up in the "Pay It Forward Forum".

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
We adopted a 3 (or was he really 6?) year old, 70lb rescue Lab-Shepherd mix Sprocket in early Feb 2021. He was extremely smart but a challenge because he had been kept tied up, hadn't been trained, socialized with humans or other dogs, or neutered by his original owner. Animal Control removed him from the home because his owner went into the hospital for 10 days, leaving him tied up without food or water. We gave him a loving forever home that has a fully fenced 1-acre wooded lot and worked with him daily. His behavior and manners changed drastically as we constantly continued to "improve our communication". Back in mid-January 2024, we were playing ball in the backyard. After about 15 minutes I tossed the ball and he dropped the ball short, then trotted off into the woods. I figured he got tired-bored and went into the brush to pee. 5 minutes later he slowly came back onto the lawn. I told him to "get the ball!" he had dropped. He walked over to it, then collapsed. We rushed him to the vet where tests revealed he had very advanced canine gallbladder cancer and wasn't going to make it through the night. He had been asymptomatic, so my wife and I were both shocked and devastated. We held and stroked him as he received the injections. My wife was crying and he reached out and licked her face. Then he was gone. That was so hard for us 😭 .
View attachment 112142View attachment 112139
Over the next 10 days I wasn't sure I wanted another dog and was going through the grieving process. But my wife was constantly cruising Pet Finder to console herself. She'd tell me about dogs she was interested in but would not do anything about it even though I urged her to follow up. So I created my own Petfinder account and within 30 minutes had found a very interesting dog named Cali. She is a 3 year old 40lb Lab-Kelpie mix whose foster Mom; that is affiliated with the Big Dog Project adoption organization in Gig Harbor, picked her up at a shelter in El Paso TX while staying with her husband who was TDY at Ft Bliss. When it came time for her to go back home to Gig Harbor she drove home with Cali and another rescue. I filled out the long adoption essay paperwork and we were approved the next morning. We had a meet & greet where my wife and I immediately fell in love with Cali and welcomed her into our forever home with us a week later. It turns out we were 2nd in line for a meet and greet to a couple who had also just lost their canine child but weren't mentally ready to adopt again.
View attachment 112140View attachment 112141
Cali is also very smart. She responded to verbal commands and hand signals immediately. But she is much more restrained and submissive with other dogs and people which we welcome in our "old age". Every morning I am up early for breakfast, and a regional morning HF ECOMM training "net(work)". I get Cali up from her crate (she and Sprocket had both been crate trained when we adopted them), and like I did with Sprocket, feed her outside. Then like Sprocket she does her business and checks out what new smells and critters are in the woods while I fire up my HF radio and get my station logs ready. Soon she lets me know she wants back in and goes to sleep on her plush bed as I enter the "net". An hour later after I finish updating my logs and secure my station, "It's time to go see Mommy!", who is a late sleeper. She jumps to her feet and hurries to wait at the door of the family room that's also my "radio room" for the "go" command. It's something very special for both of them as "Mommy", who is still in bed, gives her a very long belly rub. We are signed up for all 3 levels of training and will complete level 1 next week.

So, Cali is half the size-weight of Sprocket and we have some things that might be useful for someone with a larger dog so I'll post them up in the "Pay It Forward Forum".
I'm both sad and happy about your post. Hooray for forever homes for rescue dogs, however long that turns out to be!

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
View attachment 112142View attachment 112139
View attachment 112140View attachment 112141

This brought tears to my eyes, both sorrow for your loss and in joy for the new happiness you have found for yourself and Mrs. Brian and brought to a new pup. Thanks for sharing.