Awesome Dogs of PNW

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
So sorry, Richard. You have my sincere condolences.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
a coastal friend's dog got hold of some raw salmon when a neighbor was cleaning a couple of King's in his yard, the dog almost died from Salmon Poisioning, a bacterial infection I had never heard of, had to be rushed to a pet hospital and put on IV antibiotics. Sure made me more careful when cleaning my King's at home.
This is known to happen when dogs eat spawned salmon, the fish have large amounts of lactic acid which can cause lactic acidosis. Didn’t know it could happen with fresh fish; makes me wonder about the Alaskans who feed their dogs large amounts of Chums, how do they not get sick?

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
This is known to happen when dogs eat spawned salmon, the fish have large amounts of lactic acid which can cause lactic acidosis. Didn’t know it could happen with fresh fish; makes me wonder about the Alaskans who feed their dogs large amounts of Chums, how do they not get sick?
Not sure if you are referring to something else here, but Salmon poisoning is due to dogs eating salmonids, lamprey, salamanders or other aquatic critters that are infected with the organism Neorickettsia helmonthoeca. It is endemic from norther California to Puget Sound. Fo more info please see

Two of my pups have had it, but we caught it in time, a course of antibiotics and they were right as rain within a day. Take care and be watchful of those pups.

cheers

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Lolly, my doggie companion of 14 years, from riverbanks to mountain tops, departed for the big dog park in the sky last week. The loss is far too fresh to contemplate when or if there will be another.
View attachment 108445View attachment 108446
My condolences. I know , it was 17 years between dogs . I felt no dog was ever going to replace Moki our yellow lab . This present one has filled the hole partially, he’s never going to fill it completely. Each dog we have had held a special place in our hearts. This one we have now is pretty awesome in his own right .

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
My condolences. I know , it was 17 years between dogs . I felt no dog was ever going to replace Moki our yellow lab . This present one has filled the hole partially, he’s never going to fill it completely. Each dog we have had held a special place in our hearts. This one we have now is pretty awesome in his own right .
They never replace the previous. Fill a void with a totally OMG what did we do, different personality we have to adapt to. I can’t say we regret getting a new dog, spend more time reminiscing, did Shelby act this way? Not bad comparing as much as smiling.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
They never replace the previous. Fill a void with a totally OMG what did we do, different personality we have to adapt to. I can’t say we regret getting a new dog, spend more time reminiscing, did Shelby act this way? Not bad comparing as much as smiling.
Totally two different dogs , Moki as said was a yellow lab , that guy was probably the most obedient dog I’ve ever been around , with very little effort. My wife took him to puppy school, after that , there was no other training needed . Hand signals , voice you name it he was all business , never had to raise your voice above a whisper .

Now the present one he’s a Labradoodle , no where near the same type dog as a Lab , at least not ours . Our lab was a gentle guy , but I think this Labradoodle is even more so . Gentle with people, other dogs . He likes everyone. It seems he never meets a stranger.

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
Working on breaking her of chasing rabbits. So far she’s caught 4 in the backyard, killed 3. The 4th escaped out of her doghouse into our house at 5:30 AM, lol.
This is as close to point she has done yet, the rabbit is just above her head. So intent, but not going further. I was able to break her concentration and continue the walk.

73393449594__FA1923A9-1BC5-457D-9942-F3A632D0AB90.jpeg

Smokey Bear

El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity
Forum Supporter
Working on breaking her of chasing rabbits. So far she’s caught 4 in the backyard, killed 3. The 4th escaped out of her doghouse into our house at 5:30 AM, lol.
This is as close to point she has done yet, the rabbit is just above her head. So intent, but not going further. I was able to break her concentration and continue the walk.

View attachment 109429
I like the poop bags placement!

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
2f0cd99d-ad44-4c3c-903c-e1dc2b13dbfb-1_all_6812.jpg2f0cd99d-ad44-4c3c-903c-e1dc2b13dbfb-1_all_25.jpg
This is my Bubba Loaf. My wife and I got him second hand after his original family had a child and Milo; his original name, didn't like that he had to share food and love with someone else so we got to have him with us for a little over 2 years. It was way too short before we had to put him down last September, I didn't realize how much he meant to me. Needless to say I miss my buddy. I got some of his hair and tied up what I'm calling the Loafenleech with his hair for the body and rabbit strip. Today I took the Loafenleech out and swung it through a very sexy looking run. As it started coming off the seam into the softer water I felt a tap tap then my 4wt trout spey buried when the fish took off. Took a couple minutes but was able to bring this lovely fish in on a fly tied in my buddies honor. Thank you for giving me some more love bubba.1000000798.jpg1000000801.jpg1000000797.jpg