Awesome Dogs of PNW

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Pretty sad today. Good dog Boudicca banged her shin on a flower pot a few weeks ago (no skin breakage) and was taking a really long time to heal. We took her to the vet yesterday and today the vet confirmed that she has bone cancer and had probably had it for a year. It's unclear whether amputating the leg (left front) would be a fix.

I'm concerned that taking a front leg off a big, front heavy 6 yo dog (70lbs) would be hard for her to adapt to. Anyone have insight on that?

She probably has a couple months to go and we will pull the plug when pain killers do not keep her comfortable. No chemo or radiation being considered.

She's such a good dog. Fuck cancer.
PXL_20230111_004910394.jpg

Last edited:

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Pretty sad today. Good dog Boudicca banged her shin on a flower pot a few weeks ago (no skin breakage) and was taking a really long time to heal. We took her to the vet yesterday and today the vet confirmed that she has bone cancer and had probably had it for a year. It's unclear what amputating the leg (left front) would be a fix.

I'm concerned that taking a front leg off a big, front heavy 6 yo dog (70lbs) would be hard for her to adapt to. Any have insight on that?

She probably has a couple months to go and we will pull the plug when pain killers do not keep her comfortable. No chemo or radiation being considered.

View attachment 79228

So sorry to hear about Boudicca. I'm wishing her the best. She's beautiful!

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
Pretty sad today. Good dog Boudicca banged her shin on a flower pot a few weeks ago (no skin breakage) and was taking a really long time to heal. We took her to the vet yesterday and today the vet confirmed that she has bone cancer and had probably had it for a year. It's unclear what amputating the leg (left front) would be a fix.

I'm concerned that taking a front leg off a big, front heavy 6 yo dog (70lbs) would be hard for her to adapt to. Any have insight on that?

View attachment 79228
So so sorry to hear that. That’s a tough decision. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Reactions: Zak

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Pretty sad today. Good dog Boudicca banged her shin on a flower pot a few weeks ago (no skin breakage) and was taking a really long time to heal. We took her to the vet yesterday and today the vet confirmed that she has bone cancer and had probably had it for a year. It's unclear whether amputating the leg (left front) would be a fix.

I'm concerned that taking a front leg off a big, front heavy 6 yo dog (70lbs) would be hard for her to adapt to. Anyone have insight on that?

View attachment 79228

Heartbreaking. What a beautiful pup. My thoughts and best wishes are with you, your family and Boudicca.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Sorry to hear of that. I had a friend back in Montana who had a big Lab that was born without a front leg. He did ok, but he had a lot of years to adapt.

CRequa

Steelhead

View attachment 79228
Dogs adapt very well, my thought would be if it didn't get rid of it would that last bit of time the dog had left be recovering from the amp, sorry you guys are going through it

CRequa

Steelhead
No tennis balls for that one of mine , they last about 5 minutes before they are torn to shreds , few toys that dog can’t ruin . :) That blue ball is built for him , so far he’s unable to tear it up , it’s pretty heavy duty .
I used to buy lacrosse balls for the same reason

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
You’ve got a real pack going there, I like it. I bet your family feels well protected. Are they cool with visitors hugging your wife hello or goodbye? Lol
The one on the front right (his name is Cortez Kennedy), he'd lick an intruder. The one in the back (Bruin), he'd eat an intruder. The on the left (he's a pupptly still), TBD what he'd do to a stranger.

They do follow my wife around all day (literally). She's out grabbing our daughter right now, so they relax and chill. But rest assured if she was here, they'd be near her.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The closest we ever got was a lab/shepherd mix. Marvelous dog. Smart, loyal, protective, especially of Liz when she was pregnant, and then with the infant kids… Twenty five years and several dogs later, I still miss him. I’m a water dog guy, but shepherds are special.

kmudgn

Steelhead
You just never know about dogs and how they will react. My previous now deceased Labrador was a big guy at about 110 lbs, but sweet and gentle as most labs are. He was more apt to lick anyone to death than anything else. One day, though a very aggressive individual came up my driveway and started yelling at my wife and son who was a toddler at the time. That dog took off barking and snarling at that guy and chased him off. I did not see it, but my wife told me that after he chased the guy off the drive the dog came up to the top and peed on the tree closest to the house to mark his territory and show how "manly" he was.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I may have told this a few years back, but in the mid 60s as a mid teenager, I was helping my uncle with yard/farm work in Kent. They had a female shepherd that was very timid, and a neighbor’s large lab was her best friend. One day she was “helping” me weeding out near the road, when a pack of 3 or 4 dogs came by and attacked her. I was frozen not knowing what to do. In mere seconds the lab comes running at top speed, hitting the swirling mass like a bowling ball. They scattered like pins but before they ran away he chewed some ass. Very impressive show.
So, labs are protective too, but with shepherds it’s like their duty.