Are you watching what is happening in Olympia?

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
These aren't specifically targeted at hunting, but do and will impact gun purchase or owners/ownership.

HB 2118 is very bad...

The following bills advanced out of committee:

HB 1903 – "24-hour reporting requirement" further victimizes otherwise law-abiding gun owners and places the liability and a $1,000 fine on crime victims for theft of their own property by penalizing failing to report missing or stolen firearm within 24 hours.

HB 2021 – "Destruction of firearms by law enforcement" expands the authorized and/or required destruction of firearms held by state and local law enforcement entities from gun buy-back programs and prohibits the sale or auction of these firearms.

HB 2118 – "FFL killer" places costly onerous requirements on law-abiding FFLs that could put them at serious risk of going out of business because of the financial burden to comply.

Additionally, the committee heard public comment on HB 1902 "permit to purchase with required live fire training" and HB 2054 "one gun per month restriction", however neither of these bills have been scheduled for a committee vote, yet.

Divad

Whitefish
Not sure which other one went into effect this year but the site I tried to order ammo from said to kick rocks if in WA. Have to ship to an FFL, which I'm sure my guy would allow but really!? Can't wait to see all that crime drop...

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Not sure which other one went into effect this year but the site I tried to order ammo from said to kick rocks if in WA. Have to ship to an FFL, which I'm sure my guy would allow but really!? Can't wait to see all that crime drop...
Crime isn't going to drop nor is that the intention of the bills or any gun control laws.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Aditionally, the committee heard public comment on HB 1902 "permit to purchase with required live fire training"
Honestly though, how would this one be a bad thing? Maybe I'm too naive, maybe not.

All those others you listed, I completely agree with your take...but this one (at least in theory) makes sense to me.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Folks, we all know guns/gun-laws can be a contentious topic. But it is PNW and outdoors related, so we'd like to be able to allow discussion to continue. And it's going fine so far.

However, please consider this as encouragement to state your opinion and thoughts behind it without taking a dump on those who don't agree with you.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
HB 2118 is plainly crafted to drive FFL holders out of business through draconian and onerous requirements. Every FFL holding firearms dealer that I've ever frequented has a very secure facility (already incentivised to do so to protect an extremely high value inventory).

Furthermore, I'm unaware of FFL facility firearms burglary contributing to illicit possession of firearms by criminals as a problem requiring legislation. While I'm sure gun store breakins do occur, I believe it's a rare occurrence, since such businesses are definitely not soft targets.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Honestly though, how would this one be a bad thing? Maybe I'm too naive, maybe not.

All those others you listed, I completely agree with your take...but this one (at least in theory) makes sense to me.
Referring to HB 1902; yeah, in theory. What I do like about the HB 1902 intent is the addition of mental health as part of the background check. What I dislike is the addition of a "permit to purchase" in lieu of the national and now WSP background checks. The bill lists the cost of this permit as $28 - or whatever the actual cost is for WSP to administer the program. Call me a cynic, but no state gov't agency can administer the distribution of toilet paper for $28, let alone gun purchase permits. I guess more like $280. Plus the cost of fingerprinting. It's silent on the notion that CPL holder's fingerprints are already on file with county sheriff's depts and therefore FBI, so why demand the duplication of effort? Whether it's deliberate or not, it seems like the effect of these bills, in combination, will drive up the costs of legally purchasing a gun to approach the cost of the gun itself. Particularly when adding the costs of "certified" firearm training every five years to keep the permit to purchase active. I think training is good, but do people who have had training and engaged in shooting sports for 20, 30, or 50 years really need to re-take certified training every 5 years? (Again, particularly the training as specified in this long-winded bill.)

I support the idea of universal background checks in a national database because it would actually have the effect of making it harder for criminals to legally obtain firearms. I also support the idea of a 10-day waiting period because it provides a "cooling off period" for hot head purchases and is a very minor inconvenience to buyers. Most of the rest of firearm legislation appears to read like "feel good" legislation with good intentions but little to no likelihood of actually reducing the amount of firearm deaths, mainly because criminals don't obey laws, including firearm laws.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I'd rather see some sort of training requirement for receiving a CPL in Washington (much like Utah's). I know a lot of folk lawfully carrying a concealed handgun who have no idea regarding firearm safety, responsible storage, or the circumstances that legally justify its use.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I'd rather see some sort of training requirement for receiving a CPL in Washington (much like Utah's). I know a lot of folk lawfully carrying a concealed handgun who have no idea regarding firearm safety, responsible storage, or the circumstances that legally justify its use.
I like to think I have a pretty good idea of firearm safety, responsible storage but "the circumstances that legally justify its use" seems like a moving target (no pun intended).

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There is no gun law that can be passed to have the desired and measurable effect on society or crime. Unless the desired effect is to limit and prohibit law abiding citizens from legally obtaining ammo or firearms.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
The states have an unviable mish-mash of regulations due to successful efforts by the NRA (former member) and firearm industry lobbying efforts to block uniform Federal requirements, so the laws of each state reflect it's respective majority voting bloc.
Locking gun storage is a no brainer, can open my biometric safes much faster than I can type this sentence.
Fully support comprehensive background checks and a national firearm registry mandated for all states, as well as court ordered firearm seizures for domestic abuse and mental illness, our fellow citizens should not have to live in fear or be subject to anticipated violence
As to mandatory firearm training certification - if someone can take the time to buy a handgun, they can take the time to verify they know how to use it.
Regarding the 'slippery slope' claim.
There are over 390 million firearms in citizen hands, and there will never be a federal attempt to confiscate them from legal owners. Hard stop.

Last edited:

krusty

Forum Supporter
I like to think I have a pretty good idea of firearm safety, responsible storage but "the circumstances that legally justify its use" seems like a moving target (no pun intended).
A fair number of idiots think you can shoot somebody to protect property....car prowlers, trespassers, porch pirates and such. A righteous use requires a threat to human life. There are specific criteria that define what constitutes a reasonable expectation/fear of bodily harm justifying a lethal force response.

Even then a CPL holder should be fully aware of the considerable civil liability associated with lawful use...as the survivor or their family generally presses forward for damages from the loss of their splendid family member.

A well constructed CPL training course will discuss such issues in considerable depth, including how to minimize civil liability should such a tragedy occur.

Plaintiff's attorney will do everything they can to paint the CPL holder as a gun loving lunatic who loves to shoot people.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A fair number of idiots think you can shoot somebody to protect property....car prowlers, porch pirates and such. A righteous use requires a threat to human life.

Even then a CPL holder should be fully aware of the considerable civil liability associated with lawful use...as the survivor or their family generally presses forward for damages from the loss of their splendid family member.
This is what makes Backhoe"s R Is such an essential business.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Honestly, I'm all for gun laws that make sense, at first glance, those aren't it.
My opinion on gun control took a drastic U turn when I realized 1: How small a fraction mass shootings are of our very large and very real gun violence problem, and 2: How little we do to enforce the gun laws that already exist when firearms are used to commit a crime. Until Washington State changes course on how we handle crime in general, I will be voting against pretty much every piece of gun control legislation as they will be only enforced against citizens who are otherwise law abiding.

Right-to-repair activist Louis Rossman has an excellent video about how grossly "permit to purchase" in NYC violate the second amendment when put in practice. Given how difficult it is to file police reports nowadays, and the how chance of error, I am pretty concerned about the "24 hour reporting" bill.

It is a little funny that a state dedicated to the reintroduction and protection of top predators wants to make it harder for us to defend ourselves from said predators. What is less funny to me is that the state that embraces policy leading to reduced punishments for property and violent crime, along with limited numbers of arrests, is now pushing the line of "why do you need the guns? We have police".

krusty

Forum Supporter
This is what makes Backhoe"s R Is such an essential business.
Understand the sentiment, but a good plaintiff's attorney would likely acquire such a social media statement during discovery to demonstrate a predilection for violence.

Warning 'threat' stickers on vehicles, homes, and property are quite valuable in court. Same goes for sporting a collection of 2nd amendment garb.

Remember...in a civil court case it ain't 'beyond a reasonable doubt'...but rather a 'slight preponderance of evidence' that a jury must decide upon. Plus...the jury will know nothing or be able to consider the past criminal behavior or convictions of the 'victim'.

Finally...you get to pay your own attorney to defend you and even if you prevail the likelihood of recovering those huge expenses from the unsuccessful plaintiff's family is nil.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Understand the sentiment, but a good plaintiff's attorney would likely acquire such a social media statement during discovery to demonstrate a predilection for violence.

Warning 'threat' stickers on vehicles, homes, and property are quite valuable in court. Same goes for sporting a collection of 2nd amendment garb.

For me this is all the more reason to vote against any further gun control. Until this state actually gets serious on enforcing crime in general a lawful citizen should have the means to defend against the super predator population that is enjoying open season. I would absolutely hate to have to defend myself, family, or property. I would however like to have that option should human garbage float into my life and threaten it.

I do believe you are right though. Should I get into that situation my comments here would likely be weighed as far greater problems than say a full career rap sheet of any criminal I might dispatch in a situation of clear threat to life and limb. It's funny how justice works. If I follow the narrative I don't need police or guns. All is well.