1:25 <incredulous concern> "Cougars are just out on the loose now?"
<shocked resignation> "I guess...I guess in Washington State."

• Haha
Reactions: JS

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
That is a big, beautiful cat.
My buddy was hiking up a trail out of a river on the OP quite a few years ago and came face to face with a cougar carrying a fawn.
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis šŸ˜†
Forum Supporter
There's more than a few out here, but I see most of them while driving, on the game cams, and then in person...in that order.
I was fishing the beach when I lived on Dabob and there was a fawn on top of some logs and trees, right down from my house...a few days later there was a lot less of it.
Beach got a rest on that end for a while, I stuck to the boat.

The animal had to be in a seriously degraded condition, for it to attack a group of people like that is not normal behavior.
As for putting the animal down, that is mandatory department policy, regardless of the nature of the attack and yes, that sucks, but what can one expect?

JudyM

Steelhead
  • Published: Oct. 24, 2018, 7:48 p.m.
A Gresham woman killed in a suspected cougar attack near Mount Hood suffered a broken neck and had more than a dozen puncture wounds to the nape of her neck, records released this week show.

Those injuries ā€” as well as wounds on Diana Bober's hands ā€” "appeared to be consistent with an animal attack," medical staff performing the autopsy office determined, according to a state police report.

The 5-page police report doesn't list an official cause of death for Bober, 55, which is determined by the medical examiner's office. State authorities have called her death the first confirmed fatal wild cougar attack in Oregon.

Wildlife officials later shot and killed a female cougar they believe mauled Bober, based on all available evidence.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
How dangerous can they really be when they're missing most of their teeth?

Back in 1979, a young man was gummed to death by a toothless local Cougar outside a Soap Lake bar. So yes, they can be quite dangerous even with no teeth.
SF