Another cougar attack near Snoqualmie

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
There was another cougar attack near Snoqualmie yesterday. A 1-2 year old cougar attacked a bicycle rider that was part of a group of five. One of the riders was able to pin down the cougar until WDFW was able to arrive and then dispatch the animal. There was a second cougar spotted but it left the area. The victim of the attack was taken to Harborview for bite or claw injuries and is expected to survive. How scary! I'm glad that it didn't turn out to be fatal this time.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
There was another cougar attack near Snoqualmie yesterday. A 1-2 year old cougar attacked a bicycle rider that was part of a group of five. One of the riders was able to pin down the cougar until WDFW was able to arrive and then dispatch the animal. There was a second cougar spotted but it left the area. The victim of the attack was taken to Harborview for bite or claw injuries and is expected to survive. How scary! I'm glad that it didn't turn out to be fatal this time.

It actually did turn out fatal (for the cougar) but yes - glad it didn’t turn out fatal for any of the cyclists

Flymph

Steelhead

"pin down the cougar" Trying to picture this!

I sincerely hope the victim heals up and is not disfigured. Saw a news clip depicting the young cat at 6 months old. I will never understand why the animal has to be dispatched for doing what animals do. A young, very curious animal learning the rights and wrongs about hunting prey with an obvious lack of dealing with humans.

A total of 126 attacks, 27 of which were fatal,[1] have been documented in North America in the past 100 years. Fatal cougar attacks are extremely rare and occur much less frequently than fatal snake bites, fatal lightning strikes, or fatal bee stings. And, I am betting waaaaay less frequent than attacks by humans on humans.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Family member of ours was attacked by a cougar in Leavenworth a couple years ago. He was 4 (if i remember correctly), and carried off by the cat. Luckily they had two pitbulls with them that went on the chase and father was able to recover him. No dogs, my step nephew is probably dead.

Us human weakling are easy pickings. Is it worth a cat learning how easy and we become targets? I'm not sure. But would hate to test the theory also.

troutstalker

Forum Supporter
"pin down the cougar" Trying to picture this!

I sincerely hope the victim heals up and is not disfigured. Saw a news clip depicting the young cat at 6 months old. I will never understand why the animal has to be dispatched for doing what animals do. A young, very curious animal learning the rights and wrongs about hunting prey with an obvious lack of dealing with humans.

A total of 126 attacks, 27 of which were fatal,[1] have been documented in North America in the past 100 years. Fatal cougar attacks are extremely rare and occur much less frequently than fatal snake bites, fatal lightning strikes, or fatal bee stings. And, I am betting waaaaay less frequent than attacks by humans on humans.

Yeah, I was surprised that someone was able to pin/hold it down. I don't think that would have been something that I would have attempted. I hope that the victims injuries heal well too. It's good that cougar attacks aren't common but in 2018 not too far away from where this attack occurred, two mountain bikers were attacked and one of them killed. You do have way better odds of many other things happening to you for sure.

Reactions: Zak

troutstalker

Forum Supporter

Family member of ours was attacked by a cougar in Leavenworth a couple years ago. He was 4 (if i remember correctly), and carried off by the cat. Luckily they had two pitbulls with them that went on the chase and father was able to recover him. No dogs, my step nephew is probably dead.

Us human weakling are easy pickings. Is it worth a cat learning how easy and we become targets? I'm not sure. But would hate to test the theory also.

Wow...how scary! I'm sorry for your family but really glad to hear that he's okay. Poor little guy. Thank God for the dogs being there!

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah but still, that’s some sh*t. Have you ever tried to “pin” a normal old housecat? Hard to imagine a friggin cougar, juvenile or not.
I just can't see how's its possible. I've been talking about tracking cougars to a customer/friend up by Canadian border idaho who does this regularly. Maybe some day I'll get to tag along (not to shoot, just tree em and get a close look, honestly).
I had a bunch of questions about dog safety and such. He mentioned he was able to hold one down for a bit that was going after one of his dogs. I don't know it's size or exact story. But he mentioned their neck is weaker than you think.
Frankly, I think I'd rather just jump off a cliff than take on a cougar. Maybe distractions from other dogs helped, or he got lucky. Dude isn't one who seems to want to tell stories for self gain. Pretty humble guy.
But I dunno. Seems they can just turn around and scratch the hell out of you

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
That's what I was thinking. I doubt I could pin down our fat, old cat for more than 30 seconds without looking like I survived WW3.
Years ago my wife convinced me that our cat needed a bath (!?!), and that I had to make it happen. We had an enclosed shower and I thought “I have a brilliant idea - we don’t have a bathtub, so instead I will just bring the cat into the shower with me.” Terrible, terrible idea. Kids - don’t try that at home.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Years ago my wife convinced me that our cat needed a bath (!?!), and that I had to make it happen. We had an enclosed shower and I thought “I have a brilliant idea - we don’t have a bathtub, so instead I will just bring the cat into the shower with me.” Terrible, terrible idea. Kids - don’t try that at home.
Start em when they are kittens…eventually, they’ll bug ya in shower to get in and just sit there. Some cats love that experience.

Last edited:

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846

My cousin took an injured bobcat from the country vet. She raised it and it mated with her Siamese cats; best lookin cats…where the Siamese is dark colored was mottled like a bobcat and the ears were tufted. He would walk around the house and as you sat on the sofa, he would grab both your legs and try to pull ya under. He would let ya pet on his terms.