Anchor

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Need an anchor system for a 6' pram which I'm going to use on lakes. What anchors do people use?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I use some old 10 lb downrigger ball weights.
Used to be cheap, but not today but might be cheaper then something sold specifically has an anchor.
SF

CRequa

Steelhead

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240321_111630_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_111630_Gallery.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 36

CRequa

Steelhead
Do you know of that anchor lock will function well with the base mounted like the one in Pic? Only ever had tubes before

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Do you know of that anchor lock will function well with the base mounted like the one in Pic? Only ever had tubes before
I use that Scotty anchor lock with a clamp-on Scotty base, mounted on the gunnel with the receiver pointed up to the sky. It's the same mount that I use for a rod holder when not using the anchor (but moved to the back of the boat for the anchor).

CRequa

Steelhead
I use that Scotty anchor lock with a clamp-on Scotty base, mounted on the gunnel with the receiver pointed up to the sky. It's the same mount that I use for a rod holder when not using the anchor (but moved to the back of the boat for the anchor).
Copy that ty

Reactions: Zak

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I'm not a fan of round, cylindircal or mushroom anchors - if the lake bottom is relatively hard and you're trying to anchor on any kind of slope and there's "W" then the three anchors above may roll even if you have a lot of line scoped out. I use an environmentally unfriendly lead pyramid anchor, it just seems to anchor much better than any of the above.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I don't think you really don't need much on a calm day and soft bottom. If there is any wind then maybe a little more weight. 8-10 pounds is what I'd feel comfortable with in a hard boat. I use 3-5 in my kick boat.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
So do I need a 10 lb anchor to hold a 6' pram? Any chance I can get away with something lighter?
Like Sam wrote, it depends how windy it is. Getting blown off anchor can be annoying.

I used to have a legit anchor. One day, my anchor knot came loose. Now I have two rocks. A big one and a little one.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I'm not a fan of round, cylindircal or mushroom anchors - if the lake bottom is relatively hard and you're trying to anchor on any kind of slope and there's "W" then the three anchors above may roll even if you have a lot of line scoped out. I use an environmentally unfriendly lead pyramid anchor, it just seems to anchor much better than any of the above.

Need an anchor system for a 6' pram which I'm going to use on lakes. What anchors do people use?

I made one and it's been good so far..

Thread 'DYI--Concrete Pyramid Anchor' https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/dyi-concrete-pyramid-anchor.5711/

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I made one and it's been good so far..

Thread 'DYI--Concrete Pyramid Anchor' https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/dyi-concrete-pyramid-anchor.5711/
Thanks for the reminder of this thread; did you coat the anchor with paint or vinyl as Jake suggested? Since the specific gravity of lead is about 5X that of concrete, a concrete pyramid anchor might need to be larger than a lead anchor, but: I think the shape is a big part of the pyramid anchor's function. Nicely done.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
+1 for vinyl coated mushroom anchors, easy to deploy, clean and store.
Wind release? That strong I'm already off the lake.