A new mandolin

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
After over 25 years of constant use my old Boerner is just starting to show signs of wearing out. It has been a dandy over the years but I had recently started to feel the need for an adjustable model.The Boerner only cuts 2 thicknesses. I dreaded reading the reviews knowing how badly people can screw up the use of something that is not even dangerous. I knew that reading about something dangerous in the hands of an idiot would not go well. And it didn't, pictures of bandaged thumbs, tales of huge ER bills and warnings in caps: DO NOT BUY THIS THING were pretty much what I expected. Some people will just never follow directions or heed warnings.

When I first started using a mandolin I promised myself that I would always use the guard and always have, never coming close to injuring myself. If you fancy yourself a benihana chef with a big knife you can do just as much damage with that and many do. But a carefully used mandolin is a great asset in the kitchen if used intelligently.

The new model is Austrian I believe so I have great confidence in the stainless blades. It is a Vee model slicer which I prefer and doesn't tend to torque what is being sliced sideways and cuts with less effort. Looking forward to a big upgrade.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I often wonder if these would be worth having. Every gadget meeds a place to live, and I have always told myself that I can get the job done with a good sharp knife. I always kind of wish I had one making coleslaw though.
So which one did you get?

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Wow. I am super impressed. I find this to be an amazing instrument. Would love to hear some sound clips.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Picked up an Oxo Good Grips NIB in a thrift store a few years back for just a few dollars. Works very well.
I strongly recommend using the vegetable holder when slicing. It can really inflict some damage to your finger tips!:eek:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Mark, only an idiot would ignore using the vegetable holder on something as sharp as a scalpel but many times bigger. But if we watch the news at all it is apparent that there is an abundance of idiots and some of them own mandolins.....

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Loved using one when I worked at restaurants and have been meaning to get one.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Haven’t used one in years myself.
Used to enjoy watching my pops go to town on one with his annual kraut cabbage slicing.
SF

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
As long as you keep the blade sharp and your fingers tucked you'll be fine. If you will be doing large batches of something, kevlar gloves are a great way to go. Throw one on and slice away!

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Just a humble note that a Mandolin is a stringed instrument similar to a guitar. I was having a hard time imagining someone hurting themselves playing a Mandolin.

A mandoline is used to chop veggies, fingers, whatever -- and yes, they are f'ing sharp. Don't ask how I know this. And Ping Nighty nailed it - Kevlar gloves. I actually used one from Rapala after my initial ill-fated encounter with a mandoline.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just a humble note that a Mandolin is a stringed instrument similar to a guitar. I was having a hard time imagining someone hurting themselves playing a Mandolin.

A mandoline is used to chop veggies, fingers, whatever -- and yes, they are f'ing sharp. Don't ask how I know this. And Ping Nighty nailed it - Kevlar gloves. I actually used one from Rapala after my initial ill-fated encounter with a mandoline.
Actually, closer to an ukulele or violin in tuning...

I have left the corner of my right thumb on top of a pile of sliced onions when I was a kid helping mom...I wouldn't touch one for a decade...

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter

The mistake is excusable since Ive is a jazz guy. Not much mandolin in jazz...

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
The mistake is excusable since Ive is a jazz guy. Not much mandolin in jazz...
Boy, I wouldn't say it's known as a dominant Jazz instrument but...

many more

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Hey at least its not a fish shaped dulcimer 🙂
While there's a mandolin in my kitchen, its rarely used. Just not a lot of call for it, so its one of the el cheapo plastic ones.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Next you're going to tell me there is sitar in country music...

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Awesome! I used to play drums with some global/fusion music folks many years ago (LBS). Always laughed when my Sitar playing friend would throw in a few riffs from a Stones or Willie Nelson song during a gig, just to see if anyone in the audience was paying attention.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I often wonder if these would be worth having. Every gadget meeds a place to live, and I have always told myself that I can get the job done with a good sharp knife. I always kind of wish I had one making coleslaw though.
So which one did you get?
I got the Mueller V-Pro 5 blade model. Now that I have had a chance to use it I'm liking it although I haven't done much with it yet. It makes perfect french fries in seconds, I sliced onion and tomato today for smashburgers and it was flawless. It seems sturdy and well made and has some nice features my old one lacked. The ability to adjust the thickness of the slice is huge with slices being made as thin as 1 mm up to 9 mm. A little more than 1/32nd of an inch up to almost 3/8 ths of an inch. The julienne blades are contained within the unit and rotate into position by turning a knob and can be locked in the down position.

My old one only had two settings-too thin and too thick. The new one has the Goldilocks option!