6wt beach line recs

cole_p

Yelling at trout
Forum Supporter
Any intermediate lines y’all would recommend? I’ve tried the Rio outbound short but I’m not sure if I love it on my sage pulse.

Also I’m not the best caster in the world. Double haul needs work.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
As I am apparently a perpetually mediocre caster, I recommend Airflo 40+ if you can find them. They work well for me. S/A Titan is easier to find, but not as sweet a mix of power, presentation, accuracy, and rod loading in my experience.

Last edited:

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My sample size is low but I went from the RIO Coastal Quickshooter to the Arctic Silver Compact and haven't looked back.

cedarslug

Steelhead
My sample size is low but I went from the RIO Coastal Quickshooter to the Arctic Silver Compact and haven't looked back.

👋 Heyo! For the AS Compact, did you find the line sufficiently weighted or did you overline/underline? I'm looking for a floater, and casting an ION XL 690. Thank you!

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
👋 Heyo! For the AS Compact, did you find the line sufficiently weighted or did you overline/underline? I'm looking for a floater, and casting an ION XL 690. Thank you!
I have a Redington Predator 696 and Echo Boost Blue 690 and use 6wt intermediate and floating AS compacts. No issues.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I hate the OBS…..I love the OBS. Basically the mantra going through my head every time I fish the beach with one.

Hate:
-Tangles
-Durability +1 +1+1+1+1………………+1

Loves:
-The effectiveness fishing the beach with a one hander and that line. I have not found a better line for this application. The ability to bomb line with minimal false casting which for me is the number one priority, especially for coho….though not for SRC.

The SA Titan lines are great as well. Lots of people love the 40+. It’s not my favorite but it has enough of a following that I know it’s me and not the line.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Same here with the OBS, best casting line with least required false cast. I've had good luck with durability so far, but I don't fish nearly as much as jasmillo.
Airflo 40 plus is my second favorite.

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The RIO Coastal Quickshooter is the one that seems best suited to my casting style but I dislike the tangles and the cracking and the knots and the...

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I had the Sage Pulse 691 for a hot minute paired with a Rio OBS full intermediate and thought it to be a very pleasant combination.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I've been using the Cortland Compact intermediate for my 10wt and 7wt and absolutely love it. works really really well. I can't imagine the 6wt would be any different.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I've been using the Cortland Compact intermediate for my 10wt and 7wt and absolutely love it. works really really well. I can't imagine the 6wt would be any different.

Has Cortland come out with a full intermediate yet?
SF

cole_p

Yelling at trout
Forum Supporter
I had the Sage Pulse 691 for a hot minute paired with a Rio OBS full intermediate and thought it to be a very pleasant combination.
Roger that. Maybe I’ll work on my cast before buying anything 👍

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
ah, bummer...I'm guessing you're after something along the lines of ~200gr for your 6?

I prefer the 210-235gr range if possible.
The Coastal Quickshooter with a braided core in a 6 wt would be perfect, provided it doesn’t fall apart, break or crack in less 6 months…..:geek:
SF

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I prefer the 210-235gr range if possible.
The Coastal Quickshooter with a braided core in a 6 wt would be perfect, provided it doesn’t fall apart, break or crack in less 6 months…..:geek:
SF
The compact does go further down...but I did notice that the running line says that it's floating. I've honestly never noticed that mine floats (on my musky and smallie setups)

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
that's Rio, right? yeah, good luck!

Yep
To their credit, they did replace it after their CS gal told me this never happens. :ROFLMAO:

56FB626B-04AD-4F1C-882E-E428FAD0DE19.jpeg

Dennisoft

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The compact does go further down...but I did notice that the running line says that it's floating. I've honestly never noticed that mine floats (on my musky and smallie setups)

I've got the compact full floater and would not recommend it for the sound. Even with a good stretch or two, it always seems to coil up on me at low temperatures.