2023 Skagit/Sauk season is a go

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
hmmm….$80 for a BC non resident alien license….and it’s only good until March 31st :unsure:

AND the last time I went up the border guy made me throw out my home made lunch cuz I had a chicken sammie and an apple in there.😫

what’s the world coming to? 😏

Skunk Ape

Smolt
Soooo…..still no official go on the Skagit/Saulk season. I find that a little disconcerting. Really wanted to beat the city crowd out there before the weekend but that ain’t gonna happen. It is officially “later this week.”
Those Canadians and what we try to get across their border🐔!

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
hmmm….$80 for a BC non resident alien license….and it’s only good until March 31st :unsure:

AND the last time I went up the border guy made me throw out my home made lunch cuz I had a chicken sammie and an apple in there.😫

what’s the world coming to? 😏

$80 is nothing to me if it means I can put my waders on and cast a line into a river. Sad but true. I am an addict. Over the years I have come to think BC license is an excellent deal even if you only have 2 months to use it.

The stories I have of crossing the boarder day after day and the crap they put me through most people wouldn’t believe. Like I remember saying, “Is it illegal for me to skip my classes and go fishing in BC? I didn’t think so. Have a nice day!” They would ask me where I worked, how much I made, what drugs I used, all these personal and probing questions because they simply could not believe a steelhead bum like me would go there day after day. For a while they pulled me into secondary at least half the time and I knew some of the guys in there and I’d be like, “It’s me, I’m going fishing again!”

I also remember coming back and the border dicks saying stuff like, “America isn’t good enough for you? Why don’t you fish down here?” It was all so infuriating. After I was no longer a young 20s white guy in a shitty car suddenly I never got hassled. That was nearly 20 years ago not long after 9-11 so the border was a little bit sensitive then.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Soooo…..still no official go on the Skagit/Saulk season. I find that a little disconcerting. Really wanted to beat the city crowd out there before the weekend but that ain’t gonna happen. It is officially “later this week.”
Those Canadians and what we try to get across their border🐔!

Yeah, those damn city people…. 😉😂
SF

kerrys

Ignored Member
$80 is nothing to me if it means I can put my waders on and cast a line into a river. Sad but true. I am an addict. Over the years I have come to think BC license is an excellent deal even if you only have 2 months to use it.

The stories I have of crossing the boarder day after day and the crap they put me through most people wouldn’t believe. Like I remember saying, “Is it illegal for me to skip my classes and go fishing in BC? I didn’t think so. Have a nice day!” They would ask me where I worked, how much I made, what drugs I used, all these personal and probing questions because they simply could not believe a steelhead bum like me would go there day after day. For a while they pulled me into secondary at least half the time and I knew some of the guys in there and I’d be like, “It’s me, I’m going fishing again!”

I also remember coming back and the border dicks saying stuff like, “America isn’t good enough for you? Why don’t you fish down here?” It was all so infuriating. After I was no longer a young 20s white guy in a shitty car suddenly I never got hassled. That was nearly 20 years ago not long after 9-11 so the border was a little bit sensitive then.
You should try crossing the border with hair down to the middle of your back while riding a custom built Harley Davidson. They literally used a camera to look inside my gas tank. The border agents must have watched Easy Rider.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
You should try crossing the border with hair down to the middle of your back while riding a custom built Harley Davidson. They literally used a camera to look inside my gas tank. The border agents must have watched Easy Rider.

Wow! You are lucky they didn’t put the camera up your ass!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Back when I was going up to BC a lot for photography stuff, I always got more shit coming home than going. Once I was coming back after a date with a canadian gal and the guy asked me "What, you don't think american girls are good enough for you?"

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Free inspection for rust. No extra charge.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The Sumas boarder uses 2 fingers.
This is true
Back when I was going up to BC a lot for photography stuff, I always got more shit coming home than going. Once I was coming back after a date with a canadian gal and the guy asked me "What, you don't think american girls are good enough for you?"
I always worried about being hassled in the middle of no where for the color of my skin, but the only time I experienced discrimination on the water it was for being American in Canada which was extremely funny to me

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Does this often happen to you?

Don’t get defensive I was being serious. I have been in the car with people who were turned away because of their tattoos and in secondary they had them disrobe and took photos of all the tattoos while they were naked. The border is fucked up.

kerrys

Ignored Member
Don’t get defensive I was being serious. I have been in the car with people who were turned away because of their tattoos and in secondary they had them disrobe and took photos of all the tattoos while they were naked. The border is fucked up.
I wasn’t being defensive. You replied as if you had some personal experience.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I wasn’t being defensive. You replied as if you had some personal experience.

No fingers or cameras up my ass at the border. I’ve definitely been searched high and low as well as my vehicle.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
One time my buddy and I were pulled into secondary and searched. Border guy says, “What are you doing with a lethal weapon in the trunk of your car?” We both looked at each other with WTF face thinking did you bring a gun or something and not tell me?

Turns out it was a baseball bat, along with a glove, and ball. Apparently a baseball bat is a lethal weapon in Canada. We left the bat at the border.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I used to get the same stuff and always on the return trip.

My daughter went to Simon-Fraser Univ. in Vancouver to wrestle as they have one of the top women's programs, multiple national team members for US and Canada. I would go up for all the matches and normal family visit stuff. Always "weren't American colleges good enough?" when crossing back over. Once they actually asked her the same question when she was riding home with me for the holiday break.

My license plate for part of that period was IRIDEUS " like in Oncorhynchus mykiss irideus. Of course I kept getting, "What does that mean that you 'ride the US'?"... Changed it to CUTTHRT and that had similar results. ;)