2023 Skagit/Sauk season is a go

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I am currently standing on my rock awaiting the opener.
:)

Is your rock underwater yet? 😉
Some crazy shit going on out there today!
SF

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

JayB

Steelhead
I'm interested! Let me check the dates.. i have Sundays and Mondays off, but can take a few days off.. maybe.. going to Kentucky in February for 9 or 10 days for the bourbon trail and to visit friends! I can even row a bit if you want!! Cheers!
Cool - that'd be awesome! Keep me posted.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Maybe downtown Aberdeen is underwater? Perhaps Walmart will flood and Swansons and some local stores might make out ok?

On my lower tidal river stretch things are quiet and water levels are fine, and we're pending the headwater action as always. Ponds are finally filing up.

In a couple of days things could change, but I think I even see the Sun coming out for a minute. Zero wind. Eye of the... ?

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Maybe downtown Aberdeen is underwater? Perhaps Walmart will flood and Swansons and some local stores might make out ok?

On my lower tidal river stretch things are quiet and water levels are fine, and we're pending the headwater action as always. Ponds are finally filing up.

In a couple of days things could change, but I think I even see the Sun coming out for a minute. Zero wind. Eye of the... ?

The weather is fake news. I was planning on Armageddon of wind per the forecast and cancelled things. It's actually nice out. Fake news I say. Cody will probably be along shortly to chastise my attitude and humour about the situation along with my lack of faith in the infallible science of weather forecasting.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
SH*T ! I must have pissed off the Wal-Martian Gods as it suddenly is raining a foot an hour here, blowing about 60 miles per

skyrise

Steelhead
First, happy holidays to everyone and I am really thankful there apparently will be a Skagit Steelhead season this year. However, I am extremely disappointed in WDFW’s lack of transparency regarding the specifics of the fishery. I was recently a salmon biologist on the Skagit River for nearly 30 years and I know of no data to support the contention that Nookachamps Creek steelhead will be adversely effected by the recreational fishery from as far away as thirty miles .Not a scarcity of date, no data. Given the increased pressure on the Skagit due to restrictions on other Puget Sound rivers and the banning of fishing from a boat on the Peninsula, WDFW should be trying to spread the effort over the largest area feasible due to the high density of fishers in a restricted area. I can only think of two reasons for this restriction. The first is a lack of adequate funding to monitor this additional area. If true, this seems like a legitimate reason and WDFW should say so. The second reason could be that WDFW wants to minimize interactions between recreational fishers and the Upper Skagit Tribe which fishes in this area. If this is the reason, WDFW should say this as well. The current justification strains WDFW credibility and only acts to reduce confidence in WDFW, at least in my mind. In this day and age where it seems ever government decision is challenged or suspect, the Department really should tell it like it is to build public confidence. Or they should open the river from some point not too distant upstream from Nookachamps Creek to the Dalles
So the WDFW don’t seem have any issues during salmon season stating their concern over interactions with tribal netting and thus shutting us down over those days why the difference when it comes to steelhead I wonder ? And is the lower river closed because it would be to hard to Keep track of anglers or as someone told me back in the early 70s that’s where many fish spawn in February/march ?

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
My announcement is that I will fish 3 days from my drift boat. That’s 3 days steelheading on the Skagit in the last 2 years total. I think the mighty Skagit can take it. She will be alright. One thing the people from far flung places don’t understand is that this system is a really skunky stream. I’d say most people blank on it because of its vastness, so you will be really lucky if you have any impacts at all. You need to know the rivers extremely well to do just okay.