2023 Skagit/Sauk season is a go

Cliff

Steelhead
I recently switched jobs from working for the government and interacting directly with the public and I have to say I feel like I am now realizing how fucked up it all was. It’s like finally being out of an abusive relationship.

People treat the government like garbage these days and the long timers I worked with said it has gotten especially bad the last decade. It’s sad that it has become so accepted. The government has problems and isn’t perfect and never will be, but folks should still treat government employees like they are human beings which isn’t happening.
As a Fed I have to agree with you. I'm set to retire this year or next and I can't wait.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That needs to run both ways.
I think part of this is generational too. The younger employees that I work with, are not willing to take crap from the public the same way. The older guard is, and management tends to skew older in government jobs. So, there is rarely support for employees with self-esteem.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Random thoughts from a disillusioned conservationist:

I think that we should all take a step back and understand that this is what happens when a fish run is listed.

Does anyone know of any other activities that require special permitting or that have been effected by the listing other than sport and tribal fishing? I don't see NOAA commenting on project or policy level proposals through State Environmental Policy Act. I don't see them even

I can't think of how else the listing has changed anything other than to keep people from catch and released fishing.

I am not even sure that the WFC suit that halted the hatchery has much of a nexus to the listing. I mean, logically you would think that her is one, but I do not recall what it was.

I am curious as to what The Conservation Angler and Wild Fish Conservancy thinks that listing Olympic Peninsula steelhead will do? It will certainly make fishing seasons more difficult to schedule but other than that what do they think it will do? I guess they only care about hatcheries and direct harvest?

Is this another scenario where the goal is to change WDFW with the thinking that the runs have suffered from being "mismanaged" and disregarding. Sometimes, it seems like there is an axe to grind and the attempt is to make WDFW look bad as often as possible. Look at the number of people who have bad mouthed WDFW on this thread even though they are not the hold up as @Smalma succinctly stated. Still people will rail on about how they suck and won't open the river. What is the end game from TCA and WFC's perspective?

I guess it is to close hatcheries at any and all cost?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Look at the number of people who have bad mouthed WDFW on this thread even though they are not the hold up
Perhaps WDFW should consider communicating more about this sort of thing then, if they want to change perception. If WDFW in the middle of Jan had said "We and our tribal co-managers got all our paperwork in for the spring C&R season on the Skagit, now the process is in the hands of NMFS. We're just as eager to see the Skagit open as you all are!" then perhaps the public would direct their ire in the right direction when it takes longer than it should.

WDFW is who tells us when we can and can't fish. It's not like NMFS is going to send out the press release that the Skagit is open. That's gonna come from WDFW. So if WDFW doesn't want to be seen as the holdup, it needs to do a better job of educating us all on who that is.

GOTY

Steelhead
Perhaps WDFW should consider communicating more about this sort of thing then, if they want to change perception. If WDFW in the middle of Jan had said "We and our tribal co-managers got all our paperwork in for the spring C&R season on the Skagit, now the process is in the hands of NMFS. We're just as eager to see the Skagit open as you all are!" then perhaps the public would direct their ire in the right direction when it takes longer than it should.

WDFW is who tells us when we can and can't fish. It's not like NMFS is going to send out the press release that the Skagit is open. That's gonna come from WDFW. So if WDFW doesn't want to be seen as the holdup, it needs to do a better job of educating us all on who that is.
Don't forget the press releases praising and taking credit for the opening from the very folks who directly contributed to the rivers being closed. Always enjoy reading those.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk

I am not even sure that the WFC suit that halted the hatchery has much of a nexus to the listing. I mean, logically you would think that her is one, but I do not recall what it was.

I am curious as to what The Conservation Angler and Wild Fish Conservancy thinks that listing Olympic Peninsula steelhead will do? It will certainly make fishing seasons more difficult to schedule but other than that what do they think it will do? I guess they only care about hatcheries and direct harvest?

Is What is the end game from TCA and WFC's perspective?

They don't care about fishing, fisherman or fishing seasons.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter

I think that we should all take a step back and understand that this is what happens when a fish run is listed.

Does anyone know of any other activities that require special permitting or that have been effected by the listing other than sport and tribal fishing? I don't see NOAA commenting on project or policy level proposals through State Environmental Policy Act. I don't see them even

I can't think of how else the listing has changed anything other than to keep people from catch and released fishing.

Is this another scenario where the goal is to change WDFW with the thinking that the runs have suffered from being "mismanaged" and disregarding. Sometimes, it seems like there is an axe to grind and the attempt is to make WDFW look bad as often as possible. Look at the number of people who have bad mouthed WDFW on this thread even though they are not the hold up as @Smalma succinctly stated. Still people will rail on about how they suck and won't open the river. What is the end game from TCA and WFC's perspective?

It really seems that TCA and WFC are self-appointed Wild Steelhead Martyrs and attention ho's that use the legal system to cast themselves as the only true 'saviors' of wild steelhead while relegating everyone else (including anyone who still wants to fish for Steelhead in the future) to the role of selfish villians or incompetent idiots (WDFW). Used to support several of them back in the day when their advocacy was limited to single focused issues that united most anglers (like mandatory Wild Steelhead release). Those days are long gone -

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I will say I have more sympathy in some ways for WDFW than I used to. They really are painted into a corner on some stuff between the co-managers, EPA. NMFS, and the 3 letter orgs who will sue them over anything.

But that doesn't mean I, as a sport fisherman, have to like the result or how WDFW chooses to handle things.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Don't forget the press releases praising and taking credit for the opening from the very folks who directly contributed to the rivers being closed. Always enjoy reading those.
I am not understanding what you mean here. I feel left out. Can you explain this to me.
I don't read many wdfw press releases.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
As I said before, I blame them all. It doesn't take a college degree to look at the calendar and see when February 1, 2023 arrives. They know how long it takes for them to get their shit done - backtrack from 2/1/23 that amount of time and add a six month buffer because it always takes longer, and that should be the start date.

I can guaran-goddamntee-you that NOF won't be late...

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

The politics of that seem to be a bit rough to me. The department is poor at communicating for sure. I could see this sort of communication as being taken as pre-emptive shaming.

I think you make a great point that they are responsible for communicating when we can fish even when they are not the decision makers. They don't seem to be very polished at that.

Anyone know a good PR person who will work for 42K?