Non-Fly 2023 - Dirtbag PS Salty Salmon Fishing

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
There is a lot more diversity to run timing to Puget Sound coho than most folks realize, in general, for all life stages.

I agree. It would sure be nice to get back October in MA 9.
Catching beach coho on Halloween sure was fun.
SF

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Many coho died back in the day trolling nothing but a 4-6oz banana weight and a cut plug herring.
If you want to get deeper, just kick the motor into neutral, just like you would if you were motor mooching.
Just good old mooching is effective as well.
SF
I’ve been tempted to do that with all the bait around but worry about unclipped fish swallowing the bait

Last edited:

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
SF
I am too young and too new a fisherman to have lived it (Save a couple chunky August Kings caught around Posession back in 2007 or 08) but from what I have read MA7 and MA9 look to be our biggest saltwater losses just in terms of diversity of fisheries. To think there was a time you had an earnest (No matter how small) shot at catching a coho, chum, steelhead, or chinook in area 9 all through October and November.

I had the privilege to live on San Juan island for a quarter last year, such an incredible ecosystem that we barely get to fish anymore.

FerrousTortoise

Steelhead
I heard that there were still a decent number of pinks around, so I decided to take my dad out fishing to see if we could catch a late season pink or two. Overall it was a slow afternoon, but we surprisingly we did see a few bright pinks caught. I figured we would just see the humped up dark green humpies this time of year. My dad lost a nice sized fish that I am guessing was a coho because it spit the hook jumping. I miraculously caught this guy, as I wasn’t paying attention and didn’t really set the hook, the fish jumped all over the place, and then ran at me and away from me multiple times.

IMG_6443.jpeg

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
SF
I was reading about the NOF negotiations this season and we almost got the first week of October. We ended up loosing it due to…Nooksack Spring Chinook conservation concerns…

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm really wanting to give jigging a go before the run is over, but I am really not having any luck. I've tried drifting over schools and bait balls, but have yet to have any luck. Should i fish jigs like flies and look for points and steep drop offs? Should i keep trying what I am already doing but with different jigs? (Suggestions would be more than welcome) Should I try jigging for them like you would Kings? While targeting Chinook on the bottom in July I caught loads of rezzys, some very nice sized, and many had those same sandlance scrape marks the Kings get.

I love mooching but the mortality rate increase I see in studies makes it hard for me to justify when releasing a ton of fish, and fly fishing isn't ideal for fishing deeper water where a lot of those big fellas like to hide. Gonna try to fill the freezer with those red labels this monday though

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Last boated fish, 5.5lbs. Second largest of the year, largest was around 6-7lbs end of August of all times. What this year provided in run size it lacked in fish size, that's for sure. No matter the size, hooking a coho is always a great way to end the summer. Had a close encounter with a humpback leaving posession bar that made the trip betterIMG_4257.jpg

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fished for two hours this morning. Caught my first chrome bright chum. Two other coho made it to the bad too. October fishing is here is the South Sound!
So cooked up a side of the chum today. I've never caught a chum salt bright like this before and honestly it had some great fat content.

Pan fried over some pesto spaghetti squash and it was really good! I won't be turning my nose up at them if I can get catch like that.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So cooked up a side of the chum today. I've never caught a chum salt bright like this before and honestly it had some great fat content.

Pan fried over some pesto spaghetti squash and it was really good! I won't be turning my nose up at them if I can get catch like that.
Any pictures by any chance?

dep

Steelhead
are there any coho out in the sound anymore or have they pushed into the rivers?

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
are there any coho out in the sound anymore or have they pushed into the rivers?
I can't comment on if there are big numbers but there are some numbers of coho in the sound through October and later, fresh fish enter rivers as late as December in some Sound systems. The numbers definitely get less and less fishable as the rains push them in. Netpen zones can sometimes find fish, I remember taking a trip to the Edmonds pier to photograph the sunset late last October and finding dorsal fins sticking out just in front of the pier, doing the sad little circle salmon do when they discover that the gravel bedded stream their bodies were compelling them to seek out does not exist. Of course when I went out the next morning they were nowhere to be seen

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anyone getting out for Blackmouth? I'm gonna try my luck if the weather cooperates. Planning on fishing big plugs and cured herring

Last edited:

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Went out around 12, right after small craft advisory was lifted. Rough rough rough. Couldn't make it to Jeff head and fished oil docks with nada. We decided to call it but a couple came in right before us with an 8lb and a 10lber. Weather looked like it was calming down so we gunned it to jeff head. Rough rough rough, 3 ft wind waves whole way through. Once again empty handed. Might try tomorrow if the weather is just a little nicer.

Fun to get a taste of this fishery, bucking rollers trying to get lures setup and walking into the cabin looking like I jumped into the sound was fun

Last edited: