Non-Fly 2023 - Dirtbag PS Salty Salmon Fishing

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Man, severed herring heads always have such a sad facial expression. Smile more, bud, it could be worse!

My late friend Steve Graves who was a killer fisherman always said the last thing he’d want to be reincarnated as was a herring……
SF

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just wrapped up a trip to Sekiu from Thursday night to Sunday. This was my first coho rodeo and boy I didn't know what I was getting into.

We fished coho every morning limiting by 9am Friday, 10 am and noon Sunday. Each day we had to weed out our hatchery coho out of 20-30 coho. We used a combination of downriggers and bucktailing rods to catch our fish. Today in the windchop, the bucktail rod really shined.

We also caught two pinks and several Mackerel as well. Looking forward to trying those based on some other posts on here.

We also did bottom fish, calling it with 14 rockfish, one 27.5(!) Lb lingcod that was a hitchhiker, 1 halibut, 1 True Cod (new species for me), 4 back cod, (new species) for me and a couple flounder to the boat. We called it early for deep water bottom fish after I reeled up a 50 lb skate from the depths.

Overall, it's been a great trip. We saw whales were out, otters, porpoises not to mention the gorgeous sunsets and sunrises that we are able to experience.I was able to take my son out with my Dad and I and I think we made some lifelong memories.

PXL_20230901_024854220.jpgIMG_20230903_150433.jpgPXL_20230901_155147310.jpgPXL_20230901_233800418.jpgPXL_20230902_215334545.jpgPXL_20230903_155908629.jpgPXL_20230902_215017704.jpgPXL_20230903_135205239.jpg

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just wrapped up a trip to Sekiu from Thursday night to Sunday. This was my first coho rodeo and boy I didn't know what I was getting into.

We fished coho every morning limiting by 9am Friday, 10 am and noon Sunday. Each day we had to weed out our hatchery coho out of 20-30 coho. We used a combination of downriggers and bucktailing rods to catch our fish. Today in the windchop, the bucktail rod really shined.

We also caught two pinks and several Mackerel as well. Looking forward to trying those based on some other posts on here.

We also did bottom fish, calling it with 14 rockfish, one 27.5(!) Lb lingcod that was a hitchhiker, 1 halibut, 1 True Cod (new species for me), 4 back cod, (new species) for me and a couple flounder to the boat. We called it early for deep water bottom fish after I reeled up a 50 lb skate from the depths.

Overall, it's been a great trip. We saw whales were out, otters, porpoises not to mention the gorgeous sunsets and sunrises that we are able to experience.I was able to take my son out with my Dad and I and I think we made some lifelong memories.

View attachment 80706View attachment 80707View attachment 80708View attachment 80709View attachment 80710View attachment 80711View attachment 80712View attachment 80713
Oh and down by the bay, the watermelon also migrate with the coho it seems.

PXL_20230901_184915891.jpg

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ok I know o asked this a couple of years ago but never pursued it. Jerry had some input. But I’m not going back to that site that has no name. Anyhoo. Got a gear gig coming up and want to use my inherited FIL’s rod….but I have no reel for it (my other outfit is an eagle claw mitchell 300 old style.
Looking for some ideas on a reel for 100ish at most? Any thoughts. Thanks.

IMG_3340.jpegIMG_3341.jpegIMG_3342.jpeg
And I have been using this combo since 1979. 😆

IMG_3325.jpeg

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Wow, I think I have that same rod and reel. Yours is in better shape than mine.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Ok I know o asked this a couple of years ago but never pursued it. Jerry had some input. But I’m not going back to that site that has no name. Anyhoo. Got a gear gig coming up and want to use my inherited FIL’s rod….but I have no reel for it (my other outfit is an eagle claw mitchell 300 old style.

A Penn 209 would have been on ours back in the day!

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

dep

Steelhead
ran into small fish. big wind and whit caps. launched out of Elliott bay and pounded up to West Point. just to stop and see all the white caps I was going to encounter on the way back. so I turned around and fished off Alki beach area. got my small coho and called it a day

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

View attachment 80838View attachment 80839View attachment 80840
And I have been using this combo since 1979. 😆

View attachment 80841
NIB

1693958275709226488146856589045.jpg

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Really fun day on the water with a good friend! Tons of surface action made me wish I packed the fly rod. We had one of the larger fish of the day take the lure at the surface. The bigger fish don't seem to be in yet, largest fish of the day was probably around 5 or 6 lbs, while the average was in the 4-5 range. I parked the boat at a few baitballs and tried jigging some up. The first stop picked up a decent sanddab, the second caught the largest dogfish I have ever seen. It was at one of these stops that we came across a runaway crab trap, which we boated and succesfully made contact with the owner. I would have liked to mooch herring today, but seeing as this is a mark selective fishery where almost all the fish I am encountering are unmarked, I felt uneasy about using bait, will definitely be coming up when it goes to non selective. That herring wasn't cheap and I intend to use it! We missed two strikes that looked like they could have been larger fish. Nothing but wilds all morning, bite in Area 9 died around noon. We caught and released no less than seven coho, and decided we just wanted to boat a fish and call it good, so we headed down to ten. Found a tide rip and boated a 4lb buck and what looks to me to be a jack in no time at all. Funny enough, they were both clipped.

IMG_20230906_094931_832~2.jpg
The largest fish of the day

20230906_105230.jpg
I seriously am wondering if this was one of the fish I released last week. My 3/0 stinger took out his eye (Downsizing to 2/0 has completely eliminated my deep hooking problem, yes I get more short strikes but when the fishing is this good I don't really care) and he is the exact same size as that fish was.

20230906_111237.jpg
This dogfish was close to 3 feet long. I don't enjoy "fighting" them and would never eat one, but I think they are a very cool underappreciated fish. Always makes me sad to see how some anglers handle them.

20230906_140223.jpg

The two keepers. Any thoughts on whether the little guy is a jack or a smaller rezzy?

Tons of Porpoises out today, and the bird activity was nothing short of incredible. Always a blessing to be out on the water

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I would say most of the fish I catch in late August-early September are in the 4-5lb range, kinda like the smaller fish in that photo. I always wonder what percentage are rezzy's, and what percentage are smaller ocean fish. Same thing with the 8-10lb Chinook during the summer season. Considering that rezzy's are a relatively small portion of the hatchery fish released, and an even smaller portion of the wild stocks, it would surprise me that they are such a large portion of the catch, especially while ocean fish are around. If the smaller fish are rezzy's, I wonder if the ocean going stocks are much later timed than most anglers realize.

To my knowledge BC doesn't have the net pen releases that we do, yet they also have coho all summer long. I wonder if some of our larger summer fish and smaller fall fish decided to spend time up there rather than in Puget Sound or in the big pond

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm getting bored of towing flashers and really want to look into other ways to target coho. I'm targeting them on the fly off the beach as often as I can, and while I am sure I could do so on the beach, most of the fish I am seeing around are pretty deep. I've tried mooching before and loved it, but the studies on the CNR mortality of that technique leave me hesitant to try it until we are allowed to keep wilds later this month in area 9.

Have any of you experimented with mooching artificial lures? I've tried the brads cut plug to no success. (I might try trolling it on the rigger next time I am out though) Last trip out I worked a 4 inch buzzbomb and a 6oz Crippled Herring to no success, but that Crippled Herring looks a bit on the big side for silvers. What's the usual technique for jigging silvers?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Many coho died back in the day trolling nothing but a 4-6oz banana weight and a cut plug herring.
If you want to get deeper, just kick the motor into neutral, just like you would if you were motor mooching.
Just good old mooching is effective as well.
SF