2022 Garden Thread

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
It is depressing.
Mint is a very aggressive plant, especially in anything resembling good garden soils.
Even in poor soils I have seen it cause problems.
Never plant it on the ground is my view.

You can always use a 'chemical management strategy', if you are into that sort of thing.
I would not do so.
The mint roots probably form a dense mat 4-5 inches deep, so remove the entire root mat and do not put in a compost pile, then just dig up the stragglers as they pop up.

Have fun...
LOL

Last edited:

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
Random garden question:

Anyone have any suggestions for getting overgrown mint out of your garden? My wife planted some the other year (foolishly not in a container) and we didn't do much garden stuff this year. Now the mint is EVERYWHERE. So hard to dig out.
I had a 4x8 raised bed and ended up replacing with new soil after mint went wild and crazy.
Last resort as I could not get rid of it either.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There is mint, and then there. is mint. In my experience peppermint can be controlled by just jerking it out of the ground when it infiltrates some place you don't want it. But I like peppermint, so of course it dies where I want it to be and struggles in the adjacent areas. On the other hand, I was gifted a 4” pot of spearmint, maybe twenty years ago. I planted it in the garden. By summer's end it had grown into a thicket 3 feet high and 3 feet across. I found I didn't like the taste, didn't like the aroma, and didn't like the growth habit, so the following spring I pulled it up and tossed it. I thought. I fought that damned spearmint for a decade before I finally nuked it with Weed-B-Gone.

If you want peppermint gone, do this: Pick a stalk about 8-10 inches long. Make a pitcher of lemonade. Crush the stalk in your hand and toss it into the lemonade, let it sit overnight. Taste the lemonade in the morning. Decide that you really like the combination and want to cultivate the mint. Now the mint will die. That's how gardening works.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
View attachment 30232
Chinese Python Snake Bean flower. Not sure how this thing works but it’s pretty cool with all its frilly things going on. Any flower pros out there that have a better understanding of what’s going on here and how it’s pollinated?
So I dug around on the webs and it looks like the flowers of this family generally open at night and are very fragrant at that time. Moths are the main pollinator. I might try hanging a light on the trellis to encourage more moths to the site.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Harvesting in process all summer long. Always have herbs drying. I focused on that this year. 25 basil plants tucked here and there- genovese and mamothh lettuce leaf. Marjoram oregano thyme ans celery leaf all being dried for the kitchen and gifting at Christmas. Beans and trombocini being shared with neighbors and eating a bunch. Peppers coming into the kitchen. Bishops hat. Purple marconi, corbaci. Lipstick, blot,bulls horn. Late comers as per usual bulgarian carrot, different types of aji hot peppers later to be made into hot jellies and sauces. Just planted about 20sq ‘ of elephant garlic and a Russian soft neck varietal. Need to pick up more bone meal now. Cukes going crazy. Anticipate picking dok gauk in a week and fingers crossed Jenny Lind melons. When beds open up i have to amend. Then off to buy 50lb bags of cottonseed kelp and bone mealand that periodic addition of biochar and toss the salad for winter. More garlic to plant . Parsnips, red brussels transplanted then to cleared beds. Last but not least the oca harvest in December.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Making a small batch of tomato jam. Sweet and savory. Unusual- tomatoes deseeded mostly, brown sugar salt cumin clove lemon juice grated ginger black pepper New Mex chili powder garlic powder cook down to a consistency of a light tomato paste