NFR 2022 Baseball Thread

Non-fishing related

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I hate that decision - I hate bringing in a starter to try and close out a game (unless his name was Randy Johnson) - goes back to 1981 and Rick Monday taking Steve Rogers deep to eliminate my beloved Expos (Heartbreak Monday - 10 -19 1981).

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Munoz should have finished the game. He was bringing the heat.
Seawald......nope.

Ray....back to back fastballs down the middle.
Goodbye baseball.

Piss poor management.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nope. Here’s how it works. You consoling a team that didnt make the playoffs… right? Then they make it …playoffs!!! brilliant !!! Everyone was on top of their game. Knew how to do it. Then they win first round… awesome. Not expected but accomplished. So next is a 5 game series and while a painful loss especially in first game because you were in control of the game. Ouch!!! But remember it’s a five game series. Win today worry about tomorrow. I think that was why servals did what he did. He’s trying to win now and let
Tomorrow be another problem. But it didnt work out. No blame. Just a lost outcome. Let’s hope the mariners have several season of playoff guessing …. Appreciate it. mariners are still playing and it’s post season. Yes!!!!!

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Easy to be an arm chair quarterback but in retrospect Servais should have adhered to the words of Darrell Royal and did the "dance with the one who brung ya" routine. If he was so worried about pitching to Alvarez then walk him and let the reliever who got him to the playoffs pitch to whomever the Astros sent up next. Doesn't make any difference if you lose by one or lose by two.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Sewald has given up 6 runs in his last two outings. Maybe let him ride the bench for awhile.

creekx

not crate trained
That collapse required a chain of failures and the M's have zero margin for error against Houston.

Munoz gives up 2 runs, and to make it worse, he faces 6 batters.

So then Sewald has to face the 8/9/1 hitters instead of maybe the 6/7/8 guys. And then he fails to get outs, putting guys on. Alvarez should have never come to the plate.

Then Ray/Raleigh decide to abandon his best pitch (slider) and instead throw 2 BP fastballs (2-seamers, his 3rd best pitch.)

And Servais followed one of baseball's stupid, by-the-book, unwritten rules like "Never intentionally put the winning run on base." F that shit. Alvarez is a guy you make exceptions for. Put him on, create the force at every bag, and take your chances with Bregman. If he beats you, so be it.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
And Servais followed one of baseball's stupid, by-the-book, unwritten rules like "Never intentionally put the winning run on base." F that shit. Alvarez is a guy you make exceptions for. Put him on, create the force at every bag, and take your chances with Bregman. If he beats you, so be it.
I get it, but putting the tying run into scoring position?

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
438’…at least there was no doubt about it.
This is not a knock on swimmy, but something to get off of my chest. When a home run is written up by who ever, why do they have to put how far it went.. When it's over the outfield fence it's a home run. You don't need to put in how far it went. Most people don't give a rats ass about that part of the stats. At least I don't.

kerrys

Ignored Member
Second and goal from the one yard line. Literally the game is on the line. You have the best short yardage running back in the game in your backfield. What do you do? Throw a pass that is intercepted. Seems Seattle teams have a history of making the wrong decision. Will these two epic failures be played back to back?

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Sewald has given up 6 runs in his last two outings. Maybe let him ride the bench for awhile.
He hasn't been able to locate a slider consistently for 3 weeks and wasn't in that game. His fastball alone isn't good enough to win without slider location. He needed to come out in that spot.

Swanson has been struggling recently and his best pitch (splitter) is the pitch that Alvarez hits best.

Servais already fired his best bullets. He was down to suboptimal choices against a top 5 hitter in the league. Hard to walk him there, a single would then tie the game. He and many other Mariners staffers devised the plan before the game. It didn't work out.

That decision wouldn't have mattered (or happened) without any number of other mistakes. I know it happened at the end of the game but it was an isolated event and I think we should give grace to a team that is finally living up to expectations. If, on Monday, I told you the Ms would lose by 1 run in a game they played pretty well in, most of us would have thought that was about how it would go despite our hopes.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Not sure why this thread is so silent, or where the M's fans are, maybe your all at the game - Bottom of 12, 0-0; baseball at its absolute best!! Good luck M's

Cheers